Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 08:54 PM

1,348 posts, read 707,025 times

Advertisements

dreary weather s and people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 11:06 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
I second Olympia, it might work for you. Thurston county is progressive, housing prices are not too bad, it has Costco, TJ’s, parts of it are decent looking. Downtown is seedy, but you might want to take a look at the outskirts. Trees abound in Olympia and there are lots of places to go hiking. I frequently see deer by the side of the road.

It’s a college town, people are generally friendly. When I first moved to Washington, I was finding my way around Olympia and turned in a narrow driveway, needing to reverse back out into traffic. An incoming car stopped and let me back out, even though the driver was holding up cars behind him. Amazingly polite.

Last edited by Taz22; 07-14-2019 at 11:30 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 11:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Bellingham / Fairhaven / Ferndale (and surrounds ~ 30 min) (#1) Proximity to BC is really handy for many events / camping / skiing / international diversity

Silverdale
Steilacoom (worth a look)
Olympia an option, but... masses of people and politics.

Old 07-14-2019, 11:47 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Bellingham / Fairhaven / Ferndale (and surrounds ~ 30 min) (#1) Proximity to BC is really handy for many events / camping / skiing / international diversity

Silverdale
Steilacoom (worth a look)
Olympia an option, but... masses of people and politics.
Ferndale is a decent option, so is Sliverdale. I brought up Olympia because the OP said he wanted politically progressive, and it ticks most of the boxes he said he wanted.

Hey Stealth, what about your neck of the woods? It’s close to Portland and there are some nice scenic areas.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,714 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Far away from any hunting areas.

Gotta dodge lots of bullets and arrows around my part of WA.

SWWA would be a political hxll hole for OP, but we (and 36 'other' counties) certainly don't matter one bit to WA politics.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:38 AM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Yeah... There is going to be hunting in any part of rural Washington.

But not so much in town :-) usually!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesFog View Post
Thanks.
Born in England and so grey and drizzly is mother's milk to me.

Smokey air does not encourage me to throw my hat in the air but nothing is perfect. The fires in the Sierra Nevada foothills were pretty brutal.

I've been perusing Zillow listings but actually checking things out in person is the best way to go, I think. Peppered with a few reality bites, too, no doubt.

Will check out Pt Townsend, thanks.
Would you tolerate the paper mill stench (mild most of the time but sickening at others) and the Navy Growler high-db roaring in and near Port Townsend? Hunting is forbidden within city limits, but poachers have shot deer in town, right under the noses of all those progressive people who didn’t want to report gunshots to the police. Hunters probably were reading the deer-lover Facebook page based in PT, drooling over the photos of bucks with huge racks. Right after the SECOND poaching incident, that page mysteriously stopped posting info and photos of deer. Poachers also checked out other places such as Anacortes, Bainbridge, etc., as good poaching grounds. Hunters’—no, make that poachers’—websites even recommended what towns to hit.

Real hunters don’t hunt in places it is not allowed. Maybe what you mean to say is “firing guns.”

Places like PT are not so much progressive as unable to grow a spine against illegal behavior—especially substance abuse and related victimizing crimes by their favored sons.

Last edited by pikabike; 07-15-2019 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Would you tolerate the paper mill stench (mild most of the time but sickening at others) and the Navy Growler high-db roaring in and near Port Townsend? Hunting is forbidden within city limits, but poachers have shot deer in town, right under the noses of all those progressive people who didn’t want to report gunshots to the police. Hunters probably were reading the deer-lover Facebook page based in PT, drooling over the photos of bucks with huge racks. Right after the SECOND poaching incident, that page mysteriously stopped posting info and photos of deer. Poachers also checked out other places such as Anacortes, Bainbridge, etc., as good poaching grounds. Hunters’—no, make that poachers’—websites even recommended what towns to hit.

Real hunters don’t hunt in places it is not allowed. Maybe what you mean to say is “firing guns.”

Places like PT are not so much progressive as unable to grow a spine against illegal behavior—especially substance abuse and related victimizing crimes by their favored sons.
Why wouldn't people report gunshots in the neighborhood?

When I visited Pt T, I was astonished at the number of deer leisurely walking around Uptown neighborhoods.in broad daylight, as if they owned the place. On Orcas, they only come out at night.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:11 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,708,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post

Good points. None of the rural Washington towns that appear idyllic on a summer day are paradise. They are great to visit, but living in them will quickly reveal the imperfections.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:25 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
No place with people in it is idyllic.

But small towns with a variety of people in it is not so bad.

Case in point the situation I think you're describing in Port Townsend. No hunting and no predators means being overrun with deer. Balance is better.

Well regulated and managed hunting is not a bad thing. If you're worried about the deer... Good hunting is FAR more humane than the alternatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington