U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:52 AM

3,927 posts, read 1,934,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristenxlee View Post
Is there any town in western WA with house prices similar to the Spokane area? Does it just not exist?

Define Affordable housing?

If someone is living in Eastern Washington the chances are the cost of living and/or their income level may not be the same as in the Seattle area. Therefore housing level cost in Eastern Washington would be lower and housing cost in the Metropolitan Seattle area would be higher. Companies like Microsoft and the incredible wealth these people obtain is the driving force in the high housing cost in the Seattle area.

Now with that said I ask the following questions: one: is your income level where you are now compatible to the Seattle area? Two: is it you plan to retire and move for a special reason like moving closer to relatives?

If you answer no to the first question...very few places in Western Washington would be suitable for you.
If you answer yes to the second question...try west/southwest of the I-5 corridor. Still higher housing cost than say Spokane Valley but lower than the Seattle area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 11:42 AM

7,352 posts, read 5,950,390 times
Comparables:

Aberdeen (pending offer):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9...55046045_zpid/ ($214,500, est. payment: $1,096mo, 3bd/2ba, 2,054sf, 5,227sf lot, office/den, deck, fireplace/gas insert, gas appliances, forced air, backyard, carport/offstreet parking, 1923)

Spokane:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...83234881_zpid/ $198,000, est. payment: $1,035mo, 3bd/2ba, 2,000sf, 10,454sf lot, bonus room, front deck (porch), fireplace, gas stove, baseboards, offstreet parking, 1920).

Old 07-14-2019, 12:19 PM

34 posts, read 12,865 times
It’s actually weather we’d be moving for. I know, most people want 80s and sunny, not me. But I’m
Not sure we’d be able to afford much of anything in terms of housing in the western part of the state. I’ve looked and looked. I live in NY now and in my area, the houses are so much cheaper. I can’t find anything like I have currently.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:55 PM

7,352 posts, read 5,950,390 times
Quote:
It’s actually weather we’d be moving for. I know, most people want 80s and sunny, not me. But I’m
Not sure we’d be able to afford much of anything in terms of housing in the western part of the state. I’ve looked and looked. I live in NY now and in my area, the houses are so much cheaper. I can’t find anything like I have currently.
What can you afford?

You can't just look at housing offers, but total costs. Western Washington generally has no income tax and much lower utility costs.

Most houses listed under $175k are likely to be manufactured homes, fixer uppers, in a flood plain, or foreclosures/auctions. Some exceptions:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...14625575_zpid/ (Sequim)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...91555426_zpid/ (Raymond)

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...32188314_zpid/ (Raymond)

Old 07-14-2019, 02:31 PM

8,255 posts, read 4,900,117 times
We really need more details on what kind of housing would work for you, renting or buying and what kind of city/town/suburban/rural lifestyle you can live with.

You need to define affordable.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:48 PM

86,028 posts, read 79,186,339 times
Quote:
OP, we need more info from you, as we've said earlier. What price range are you looking at? Diana gave you an example of housing similar to Spokane's prices. You've given us nothing to go on, except "prices similar to the Spoken area". We've given you towns to check out that fit that general (and vague) bill. If that's not working for you, we need more info. Or maybe you don't need us, since you're doing your own research? We have no idea what you have in NY now, so we don't know what target we're aiming for.

Sequim, Raymond and South Bend are possibilities.

4 bd/2 ba. on a nearly 1/2 acre lot in South Bend, $159,000 (including attic rooms)
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-60423?view=qv

4 bd/3 ba on .61 acres, $189,000
.https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-82607?view=qv

Crazy Donkey showed you something for $139,000. If that's too expensive, or not big enough, you're probably right, but these are prices so low, most people wouldn't believe them. They're' much cheaper than the equivalent in Spokane, btw. If you can afford Spokane, you can afford these areas we're showing you.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-14-2019 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 11:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,212 posts, read 43,962,279 times
Do you need:
Job?
Schools?
Medical?
Transportation?

If not, you choices open up.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM

34 posts, read 12,865 times
Sorry all, I’ve definitely been trying to do more research. I’m surprised to see some of the houses you’ve all listed for me. It DOES exist and that makes me happy
Background- obviously live in ny. My taxes are $5600 a year. We pay HOA dues of $1400 a year. My house is a raised ranch & is 1600 sq ft. We bought it for 150k. Houses can be pretty cheap in NY. Im hoping we will be able to sell for about 200k. We did remodel it. My husbands job background is in mechanics. He currently works for a can making facility and he fixes the machines when they (often) don’t work correctly lol.
I’m drawn by the weather. I’m not sure anywhere else in the US has this much of a temperate climate, or at least one I can afford

Someone mentioned the lower utilities- can anyone sort of give me an idea of how much “lower” they are than in other parts of the country? Like how much are your utility bills, water bills etc?

Old 07-16-2019, 06:41 PM

86,028 posts, read 79,186,339 times
So, your husband is pretty confident he can find a mechanics-related job wherever you guys end up? The "affordable" communities we've been posting listings for are not near big cities. They're small towns in relatively remote areas, that's why they're affordable. Of those towns we've suggested, only Shelton is what could be said to be within a long commute of a major city--Olympia. Some of these places have issues; due to their economic base collapsing back when logging was curtailed. Others aren't too bad, like Raymond and South Bend. Still a little remote, though. IDK what kind of mechanic they might need around there.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:01 PM

1,662 posts, read 940,662 times
Quote:
Sorry all, I’ve definitely been trying to do more research. I’m surprised to see some of the houses you’ve all listed for me. It DOES exist and that makes me happy
Background- obviously live in ny. My taxes are $5600 a year. We pay HOA dues of $1400 a year. My house is a raised ranch & is 1600 sq ft. We bought it for 150k. Houses can be pretty cheap in NY. Im hoping we will be able to sell for about 200k. We did remodel it. My husbands job background is in mechanics. He currently works for a can making facility and he fixes the machines when they (often) don’t work correctly lol.
I’m drawn by the weather. I’m not sure anywhere else in the US has this much of a temperate climate, or at least one I can afford

Someone mentioned the lower utilities- can anyone sort of give me an idea of how much “lower” they are than in other parts of the country? Like how much are your utility bills, water bills etc?
I'm not sure what part of NY you are from but I lived in NYC for 12+ years and all my utilities are MUCH cheaper here than they were there. Then again, AC and heat was a necessity there and here I don't even own an AC and basically never turn the heat on. Car insurance is also cheaper by about $140 for me. Here, in our 3br apt our electric bill is around ~$70/month. There it was in the hundreds usually between $200-$300. For heat here, at least at all the places I've lived in it was all electric so there is no separate gas bill like it is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or