U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2019, 06:58 PM

6 posts, read 4,201 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

My wife and I are interested in moving to Washington. We are a young couple (30 and 24) with two small dogs and no plans for kids. We want to live in a 2-bedroom apartment or townhouse in an upscale, but affordable ($1,500/mo +-) neighborhood.

An area with people our own age would be a plus, but it's far more important that it be an area where we can feel safe taking walks at night, and where I can park my sports car outside without concern. I work from home, so commuting isn't a major consideration. But I would prefer to be within an hour's driving distance of Seattle and, if possible, the ocean.

Which areas should we be looking at? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 08:22 PM

485 posts, read 318,126 times
A quick search near Seattle doesn't bring up much at that price point, especially if you want upscale and safe. If you can move your budget up to $2,000/month, you will see more options. Issaquah might be a good choice given your criteria.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:32 PM

7,461 posts, read 6,155,606 times
This might fit:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...95854265_zpid/

Old 07-22-2019, 10:37 PM

8,585 posts, read 5,369,685 times
I don't think there is anywhere that one could guarantee your car to be safe parked outside. My brother lived in an upscale part of Bellevue, and his car was broken into, ten years ago. Thieves have cars also. They can travel. No one is immune, unfortunately.

There are areas that are less scary, sure... but a good security system and good insurance are going to be important anywhere in the city.

The ocean is not within an hour's drive of Seattle, but plenty of other waterfront places are around Puget Sound.

My two cents.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:21 PM

6 posts, read 4,201 times
Like I said, an hour — or even more than an hour — away from the city is fine if that's what it takes to meet our criteria.

This is the kind of apartment we're looking for: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...91130446_zpid/

I see lots of nice options like this in several different areas of Washington, just want some advice about which areas are best.

Last edited by Reaux; 07-22-2019 at 11:36 PM..

Old 07-22-2019, 11:47 PM

5,279 posts, read 4,206,761 times
Thought this was crazy talk, but then considered my own situation as I'm looking for investment property out on the islands. Some place like Port Orchard or Poulsbo or Whidbey Island meets your criteria: pretty safe, about an hour from Seattle most of it on water, lesser prices. All that seems a bit fuddy duddy for young people...I'm on the opposite end, looking to turn it down a notch, long-term, i.e. retirement. But, does fit what you asked.

Otherwise you're looking at Olympia, which is NOT an hour from Seattle at the very best of times (JBLM traffic and anything around Tacoma puts the kibosh on that).

OT: In ten years I'll be trying to get the hell away from the rat race and would turn up downtown Seattle couple times/week, preferably on foot or anything but by car, that being really expensive these days on the ferries. Once one has a toehold in the area, I'm thinking: why exactly move to Florida or southern Arizona? We've got water here, dodgy weather, but nice quality of life and that's worth lots which is why Seattle ends up near the top of "best places to live."

Old 07-23-2019, 12:09 AM

8,585 posts, read 5,369,685 times
If you really want to be able to walk at night... if that's something you do... I would look at Gig Harbor.... right in the old part of Gig Harbor. There's nothing wrong with the new part of Gig Harbor either... it's just not as fun to walk in. The beachfront downtown has good bars and places to eat and shops you can walk to. The challenge might be finding an apartment to rent down there.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:30 AM

1,841 posts, read 1,661,338 times
Upscale

Affordable

An hour from the city/ocean

In Washington state

Pick one

Old 07-23-2019, 02:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
27,116 posts, read 45,215,007 times
silverdale / poulsbo / Kingston or Port Orchard (or semi rural places nearby.)

There are some really nice places between Port Orchard and Southworth (via Manchester)

plenty to do nearby, but for more 'action' you might need near Bremerton / Silverdale / Poulsbo.

Can ferry across to Seattle very frequent and quick... but you leave the undesirable stuff over there (Seattle) and 'retreat' to your nice cozy seaside (Puget Sound) home. Really REALLY a nice way to live close enough, but far enough away to have a great quality of life! (and less expensive too)

Old 07-23-2019, 03:15 AM

293 posts, read 424,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
silverdale / poulsbo / Kingston or Port Orchard (or semi rural places nearby.)

There are some really nice places between Port Orchard and Southworth (via Manchester)

plenty to do nearby, but for more 'action' you might need near Bremerton / Silverdale / Poulsbo.

Can ferry across to Seattle very frequent and quick... but you leave the undesirable stuff over there (Seattle) and 'retreat' to your nice cozy seaside (Puget Sound) home. Really REALLY a nice way to live close enough, but far enough away to have a great quality of life! (and less expensive too)

Shhhhh, Stealth! We don't want the secret getting out about NK. But I'm all for you promoting SK, especially for folks who don't intend to have children! That is an ideal location for folks without children.

Note, Kingston is lately a major headache for anyone trying to reach the ferries (either WSF for Kitsap fast ferry). The highway backs up due to severely inadequate signage and WSP tally slip enforcement, and the folks who don't understand the ferry system (e.g. the holding lanes through downtown) are currently a nightmare for local businesses. Ferry riders who are afraid of "losing their place" in line are blocking the driveways of local businesses and causing traffic jams of up to a mile to the west of town. Gridlock until WSF (or WSDOT) fixes the mess.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington