U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 10:58 AM

4,258 posts, read 2,077,360 times

Advertisements

Question: Are you for or against the Jamestown tribe building a methadone treatment center in Sequim behind Costco?

I personally have no problem with a treatment center on the Peninsula, just not in Sequim...If built it should be built in Blyn on the Jamestown trust land as the methadone center is their idea...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 11:22 PM

8 posts, read 5,616 times
I'm on the other side of the peninsula so not qualified to hold an opinion, just a rubbernecking spectator.

That said, it's weird. I get the impression that there's a backstory here that isn't explicit in the media coverage -- just can't figure out what that story is.

Obviously the vast majority of the patients at the clinic won't be tribe members, so... why is the tribe running the clinic? Only reason I can think of is Sovereign Immunity... you can't sue a native tribe in court. Corporations have begun assigning their patents to tribes in order to block patent-invalidation suits.

Sequim has become a real magnet for out-of-state retirees, which has really inflated real estate prices there. Well, until a few months ago. Maybe people were getting upset about that, and decided the clinic would be a good way to pop the bubble? Dunno. Mostly I'm just guessing here. But there's a lot about the whole situation that's just... weird.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,582 posts, read 62,824,169 times
It's behind Costco. No one will ever see it, there are no homes until you get to the apartments at 7th Ave/Maple, or the other side of 101. I have a brother and my brother in Sequim, and it doesn't bother me.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:11 PM

1,459 posts, read 537,479 times
If you read the press releases of the local newspaper & Seattle TV stations, clients are going to be bussed in for dosages of methadone, suboxone, etc. Also, in 2021, the tribe is planning on adding a mental health treatment facility to the existing addiction treatment facility.

The problem with said treatment facilities is usually the lack of followup care for discharged clients. If they are kicked out of the program, where do they go? (Non-compliance rates are high). Even if they complete the program, they are “discharged to the community” with very little support system. Now they are in a small, isolated, semi-rural area with limited housing & employment. What happens next? Where do they live and work? Will they comply with ongoing treatment? How does their presence impact the community? It should be noted that most clients are dual-diagnosis, i.e., mentally ill and self-medicating with drugs not specifically prescribed for them.

Drug treatment centers and mental health facilities make a lot of money, now that they are privatized, just like “pain clinics” of a couple of decades ago made the big bucks...and also began the opioid addiction cycle for many.

Sovereign Immunity is very powerful.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:57 PM

19 posts, read 16,387 times
I'm in Sequim and in all honesty, I find the whole SOS movement to be annoying as hell. Ugly signage everywhere. I'm absolutely FINE with a holistic health care facility (which is what it is) going in. The SOS movement drives me crazy because they pretend to be fact based when they are just NIMBYs.

The SOSers basically whine and cry and their FUD is annoying as hell. Their arguments seem to be:
a) Sequim doesn't have a problem
b) The tribe (contributing the money) is evil and greedy
c) Sequim will be just like Seattle
d) but but but sequim is full of seniors so why put it here?

As a relatively new resident in Sequim, my perspective is ANYTHING that brings more healthcare here is a PLUS! I'm even having problems finding a decent veterinarian for my dog!
The doctors I've found here are mediocre. I'm finding it hard as hell to find a doctor in Sequim who is competent.
As for the arguments from the anti-MAT group listed above (no it's not a methadone center):
a) Clallam County has the highest (or second highest) opioid abuse rate in the state. The FUD distributors scream about crime increasing because of the "MAT" and homelessness increasing. Guess what SOSers, crime is already here. I had a couple of guys trimming a hedge for me today talking about the instances of property crime and theft in the city (recent events).
b) The tribe has a good reputation in the city for doing quality work in everything they touch. Most of the complaints sound like bigotry.
c) If only Sequim would be like Seattle! HAH! Seattle has decent medical resources, jobs with really good salaries, competent professionals. I'm getting more and more annoyed with Sequim's lack of talent and service and good restaurants in comparison. I'm semi-retired but honestly, it's a rare job that pays $20 / hour around here. If you make 60K you're considered in fat city. In Seattle, I made 140-160K / year.
Seattle has a homeless problem, but guess what? So does every place else in the US. Cost of housing is so high in Seattle that if you aren't making 140-160K, you are toast. I lived in the Sierras in California before and did a quick look at the little paper there to see how it was faring in fire season. The front page article was about a homeless encampment. LOL! That was a smaller community than Sequim!

Sequim doesn't have tech or anything else to support the economy here. I actually would have preferred Port Angeles. It at least has a 2 year college.

d) this is the argument that I find the most amusing. I avoid prescription drugs, but when I hit 65, pain hit me. (Still don't do opioids, but a night without ibuprofen is a restless night). Think seniors are immune from opioid addiction? Check out the US government HHS reports on opioids and Part D of Medicare (nothing sez senior like Medicare) 1 in 3 Part D participants have had opioids prescribed. That's just the start.

Old 11-10-2019, 03:43 AM

1,459 posts, read 537,479 times
^^^WTH are you talking about? Have you researched what MAT actually is??? It’s “Medication-Assisted Treatment” for Opioid Use Disorder. The “holistic” part just means that other disciplines, like case managers will be involved, to supposedly address “the whole patient”, also known as the psychosocial aspects, i.e., not just the drug addiction aspect. It’s a clinic that will administer methadone, suboxone, or naltrexone, to opioid addicts. It’s a great little money-maker, just like “pain management” clinics were. Oh, guess what pain management clinics did? Why, they distributed opioids!

MAT clinics do NOT bring more “healthcare” for the general population of a community. They are not “holistic health care” facilities, as you imply. They are opioid addiction treatment facilities, period. It’s a drug treatment center with fancy new wording, a new spin on an old concept. I repeat, a MAT facility does not bring in more physicians to provide for the medical needs of the general population, as you seem to think. That is not their purpose. Their purpose is $$$$$$.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:03 AM

Having seen these methadone clinics in Europe and asking locals about them here is what I was told.
Zurich Switzerland
Me: Why are those people lined up across the street?
Him: Methadone clinic... giving out stop gap drugs to hard core drug addicts until they can find money to fund the real stuff.

Me: What? Who is funding this?
Him: The government in hope to help drug addicts get off the hard stuff. Usually government hand outs meant to help these people but the money goes to buying drugs and when the government money runs out this is what you see across the street.

Me: Is it working?
Him: You see the the line don't you. Its the same druggies here on each Monday of the week. No it is not working.

In Amsterdam which has numerous Methadone clinics right below my hotel window in the alley were people shooting up.
In Los Angles and San Francisco people laying on the streets in a drug stupor. Both have Methadone clinics.

Does Methadone clinics work...maybe for a few but for the majority its a stop gap free drug clinic.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:20 PM

88,656 posts, read 82,768,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intergalactic_skunk View Post
I'm on the other side of the peninsula so not qualified to hold an opinion, just a rubbernecking spectator.

That said, it's weird. I get the impression that there's a backstory here that isn't explicit in the media coverage -- just can't figure out what that story is.

Obviously the vast majority of the patients at the clinic won't be tribe members, so... why is the tribe running the clinic? Only reason I can think of is Sovereign Immunity... you can't sue a native tribe in court. Corporations have begun assigning their patents to tribes in order to block patent-invalidation suits.

Sequim has become a real magnet for out-of-state retirees, which has really inflated real estate prices there. Well, until a few months ago. Maybe people were getting upset about that, and decided the clinic would be a good way to pop the bubble? Dunno. Mostly I'm just guessing here. But there's a lot about the whole situation that's just... weird.
Already, the conspiracy theories are coming out. What if they're building it for a more mundane reason, like, IDK--to provide more jobs for tribal members (along with non-members)? They already run a clinic. Looks like they decided to expand on the "wellness" theme, to me. Shame on them for wanting to create more jobs!

And btw, you can sue a tribe in court, if they agree in the original business contract to waive their immunity, which many do, in order to encourage business investment.

Old 11-10-2019, 05:24 PM

88,656 posts, read 82,768,188 times
Jamestown S'Klallam Economic Development Authority Mission Statement

https://jamestowntribe.org/portfolio...ent-authority/
Quote:
The mission of the Jamestown S’Klallam Economic Development Authority is to assist the Tribe, its citizens and their families in achieving stable, long-term, economic self-sufficiency, by:

* encouraging and supporting entrepreneurship
* creating a stable economic foundation centered on the pursuit of for-profit ventures
* strengthening existing Tribal businesses
* providing employment opportunities for Tribal citizens
* creating a sustainable revenue stream to support essential governmental services provided by the Tribe, including those to its Elders and children, while preserving and enhancing the Tribal heritage and culture, and utilizing the unique resources available to the Tribe.”

Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Already, the conspiracy theories are coming out. What if they're building it for a more mundane reason, like, IDK--to provide more jobs for tribal members (along with non-members)? They already run a clinic. Looks like they decided to expand on the "wellness" theme, to me. Shame on them for wanting to create more jobs!

And btw, you can sue a tribe in court, if they agree in the original business contract to waive their immunity, which many do, in order to encourage business investment.
I assume you mean the Jamestown clinic in Sequim..did you know they already provide drug treatment at that center?

What jobs are you referring to? Workers at the clinic or the police department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Jamestown S'Klallam Economic Development Authority Mission Statement
Quote:
* encouraging and supporting entrepreneurship
* creating a stable economic foundation centered on the pursuit of for-profit ventures
* strengthening existing Tribal businesses
* providing employment opportunities for Tribal citizens
* creating a sustainable revenue stream to support essential governmental services provided by the Tribe, including those to its Elders and children, while preserving and enhancing the Tribal heritage and culture, and utilizing the unique resources available to the Tribe.”
They left off moving all their properties (Trust lands) off the tax rolls so now Clallam county residences has to foot the bill for that lost tax revenue.

FYI there isn't a Jamestown S'Klallam reservation (Never has been) or any surviving full blooded Jamestown elders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington