Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 08:55 AM

330 posts, read 428,607 times

Advertisements

I just moved to the Oregon side of the Gorge (the Dalles) and have barely begun to explore. I got a bunch of Oregon touristy info at the visitor's center and it includes some things on the Washington side but I'd love to hear more from you.

I wish I could say I was really sporty and would climb mountains and go white water rafting but I'm more about walking a few miles and maybe I could try kayaking on a lake where it wasn't too windy.

also, it's just me, no family.

a friend from Portland told me the elevation changes on the WA side is a lot more abrupt sort of in general but other than that I don't know much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 AM

102,209 posts, read 107,859,557 times
You can visit Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, and see the Native American cedar plank house, constructed in collaboration with the local Chinook tribe, for public and tribal ceremonial use. The refuge occasionally has events planned for the plank house, so you could check the calendar for one of those, if you're interested. There's information available on the archeology of the site, formerly a Native village. https://ridgefieldfriends.org/plankhouse/

You can also visit the Maryhill Museum, which exhibits a collection of items donated by Queen Marie of Romania, as well as contemporary art
https://www.maryhillmuseum.org/

Old 08-20-2019, 07:01 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
usbackroads™: Maryhill State Park, Goldendale, Washington

Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can visit Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge, and see the Native American cedar plank house, constructed in collaboration with the local Chinook tribe, for public and tribal ceremonial use. The refuge occasionally has events planned for the plank house, so you could check the calendar for one of those, if you're interested. There's information available on the archeology of the site, formerly a Native village. https://ridgefieldfriends.org/plankhouse/

You can also visit the Maryhill Museum, which exhibits a collection of items donated by Queen Marie of Romania, as well as contemporary art
https://www.maryhillmuseum.org/
I'm more likely to go to the museum in the near future just because it's closer but I'm interested in both, thank you for posting.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:00 PM

I met some people from Goldendale at work and it sounds like a charming town, alright. thank you!

Old 08-21-2019, 03:31 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
All along SR 14 there are little towns with interesting restaurants and shops. If you have a good car or bike, go from Goldendale via backroads to Bickelton and even on to Mabton. This is mostly about the twisty road. There is no gas in Bickelton, you probably want to fill up in Goldendale before you set off.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
All along SR 14 there are little towns with interesting restaurants and shops. If you have a good car or bike, go from Goldendale via backroads to Bickelton and even on to Mabton. This is mostly about the twisty road. There is no gas in Bickelton, you probably want to fill up in Goldendale before you set off.
thank you, M3 Mitch!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:36 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
West gorge, (WA side)

Old 08-23-2019, 10:48 AM

467 posts, read 526,482 times
Be sure to make it to the Maryhill Museum. We had passed it many times on journeys between Wenatchee and Portland. When we finally stopped one day, our comment was sort of like "what is this doing way out here?" It is truly amazing and the views are breath taking. Don't forget a stop at the Maryhill Winery, one of Washington's best. If you like breweries, Everybody's Brewing is a favorite of ours and our kids, who are true beer snobs. Also in Stevenson is Walking Man Brewery. Our favorite local Hood River winery is Marchesi.

The backroad from Lyle to Goldendale (is it Hiway 142?) is a true treat, but be stocked up on food and gas. Also, a trip up to Trout Lake would be a great place for you to spend a day, especially on a festival weekend.

If you make it the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge, wave hi as you go by. However, check their website first, as the entrances are not always open due to road repairs. We live less than a mile to one of the entrances, so it is not a big deal if it is closed when we want to enter, but it would be a big deal if you came all the way from The Dalles. If you do get all the way to Ridgefield, you might also like to take in the Cedar Creek Grist Mill in Woodland. I believe it is only open on weekends for limited hours.

When I drive east on I84, I usually drive on the Oregon side, but often drive on the WA side if I am only going to Maryhill, then north on 97. I have never driven further east on 14 past the 97 turn off. If you do this, make sure you have a full tank of gas.

I hope you are enjoying exploring your new area.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Local wine tours...
https://www.gorgewine.com/events

Additional nice weekend trip would be to Walla Walla / Tri- cities.
(Check for local events, and speakers at https://www.whitman.edu/)

We usually do a weekend fall and spring trip to Spokane area for annual events. (Include Palouse Falls (best in spring))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington