U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2008, 07:23 PM

63 posts, read 221,955 times

Advertisements

My wife and kids (ages 15 and 9) are relocating to the Seattle area. We currently live in the Chicago area. My place of business will be in Bothell. We are considering Kingston because (1) we really want a change of lifestyle - taking a step back is FINE with us, and (2) the housing seems more affordable.

I lived in the Seattle area (Renton, Kirkland, Bothell) in the 80's and 90's.

Is there Anybody who lives in Kingston (or near that area) can comment on the lifestyle, the community and the schools?

I know the commute will be a bit much, but hoping the Kingston-Edmonds Ferry is doable.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 11:17 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,081,638 times
I live about 90 minutes south of Kingston. I can't give too many specifics about schools, etc. but my impression of Kingston itself has always been positive. It seems like a nice small fairly tidy place that's pretty laid back. The ferry comes right there to the town from Edmonds and has a frequent schedule.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 91,424 times
I'm just a few minutes south in Suquamish. I moved here to be more "in the country". I love it. But, I don't have to commute. Of the 5 school districts in the county, I would rate North Kitsap #2 behind only Bainbridge (and they consider themselves a suburb of Seattle, they even have a Seattle area code....can you say Bellevue West?). Brand new high school in Kingston. Also the newer of the two middle schools. North County has a bit higher prices in housing compared to South County, but it is a buyers market. It's about a 30 minute ferry ride to Edmunds, and mainlanders say it's 20-60 minutes into downtown seattle depending on traffic. Shopping is minimal in Kingston area (Albertsons, Hardware store and a new Rite Aid). Great pub by the ferry dock (Drifters). Otherwise you will have to drive to Poulsbo (15-20 minutes) which is a slight upgrade from Kingston shopping (Home Depot, WalMart Supercenter), or most likely, Silverdale (Mall, Costco, etc). I absolutely love this area, even when I can't see the Sound from my deck because of the clouds. Kingston, Hansville, Indianola, Suquamish, Lofall and Poulsbo are all areas you should check if the North County is what you are looking for.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 18,140 times
You also might want to take a look at the community of Indianola, just south of Kingston.

It's a close-knit waterfront community where people know each other, which is great for kids. It also has lots of character, with homes -- and people -- of all sorts.

Although it would add a bit onto your commute, personally I find the extra time to be very worth it.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:17 PM

63 posts, read 221,955 times
Thanks for the info on Indianola. What do you think the big difference is there from Kingston making it worth the extra commute time? Do the kids go to Kingston schools or does Indianola have their own schools?

Old 05-02-2008, 11:28 AM

16 posts, read 91,424 times
Indianola kids go to Kingston Middle and Kingston High Schools.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,369 times
Smile Elementary school

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP_GoBucks View Post
Thanks for the info on Indianola. What do you think the big difference is there from Kingston making it worth the extra commute time? Do the kids go to Kingston schools or does Indianola have their own schools?
My kids started going to the elementary school in Kingston and they love it. The principal is very open and interested in helping all the kids. The PTA seems very involved. My son attended the Science Olympics and that was great for him. The school has lots of clubs and after school programs going on. So far if my kids have any problems or need help both of their teachers email me back right away.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,369 times
Indianola kids go to Suquamish elementary. Kingston kids go to Gordon or Woffle elementary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington