U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 03:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
18,152 posts, read 33,619,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmers View Post
Thanks for the great info.! ...we enjoy camping, hiking, being outdoors and even hunting. I guess what would be ideal for us would be to live in a town with less thank 100K people, a small town feel yet not having to commute too far for work (meaning over 45 min), home with at leas 1/2acre, green/trees, having a career there (our experience is - for him: logistics, law enforcement, testing facility test director, mine is: I.T. or banking/loans., we don't have kids yet, home range preferrably 300K or less. As far as weather, I know it is cold in Washington, I just wondered how cold it is most of the time and if Colorado is better weather wise in comparison to that. ...
WA might be a better choice, especially if you have interests in coastal activities (Sea Kayaking is great for finding wildlife). Weather is not worse in WA, just less sun, and fewer 'stargazing evenings', 'Overcast' is frequent. On the west side you get rain and drizzle. East side can get gray in winter, temps are similar to CO, but humidity higher, so feels colder.

in WA
for your 'outdoor activities', you might like East side, but not to discount the coastal draw of west side...

Do you need / want a federal job? (Law enforcement, testing, look @ USjobs.com)
Check out Yakima, Ellensburg, and Wenatchee... then on westside Bremerton / Port Orchard / Silverdale (choices based on job market / recreation availabilty) I have a fellow student who is a banker in Bremerton, I can ask him more specific questions, but there is a lot af activity there (retirement and growth) Land prices will be higher, but if you dig and are patient, you can find bargains. Check specific location tax levies (county court house) and rainfall (WSU county extension office), as the costs and rainfall vary significantly in a small area. Less expensive WA westside homes in Chehalis / Centralia (within 30 min of Oly) Recent large layoff in Centralia (mining)should drop home / land prices, or potentially offer some distress sales this coming spring.

There are places with 4 seasons here,(WA) and even the west side can have pretty nice 'fall colors', and often has an 'indian summer'. Have your projects done, and stuff under cover by Nov 1. Plan 2 yrs for firewood to dry, and it must be under cover.

As far as elk... There are plenty here! not quite as visble as in CO, but in evening they often come out of the forest. The "roosevelt" variety we have are darker in color and I have never heard them bugle. I was really surprised one dark night in Cannon Beach, when we got right in the middle of a herd, without realizing it. (it is very dark out here on rainy nights) I like to go to the Tetons for elk encounters, we camped in a meadow because there was no space in the campground. That night we had a huge herd of 'elk' surrounding or tents and motorcycles.

WA have to use 'moss control' on roofs, but no hail damage like Colo.

If you must have sun, stick to east side of WA or Colo. If you can tolerate roaming around in the drizzle (millions do...) then west side will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 AM

597 posts, read 1,717,868 times
A lot of eastern WA has a climate like CO, with over 300 days of pure sunshine. I'm from Kennewick (Tri-City area), which is a desert climate, with hot summers, and a big river to play on. It's about 2 hours to mountains though, but there are other towns in eastern WA that are a little closer to the mountains and still offer more sunshine than the westside. Spokane is very close to mountains and there's lots to do there, but it is pretty far from the coast (6 hours). It's really about personal preference, but remember WA doesn't have a state income tax, so that's a huge thing for people moving from other states. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:19 AM

2,964 posts, read 1,422,642 times
... The Cascades are the most beautiful mountains in the US, hands down. I've seen them all and I'm still partial to the Cascades. The scenic route around Mt. Rainier is one of the most beautiful drives you would ever take. Just my 2 cents.[/quote]

Amen to that, and hiking the scenic route around Mt. Rainier, The Wonderland Trail, is one of the most beautiful hikes one will ever take!

Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
... The Cascades are the most beautiful mountains in the US, hands down. I've seen them all and I'm still partial to the Cascades. The scenic route around Mt. Rainier is one of the most beautiful drives you would ever take. Just my 2 cents.
and the Olympic Range!!! pretty 'undiscovered', light crowds...

Old 01-07-2007, 08:35 AM

295 posts, read 428,381 times
Default just an aside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janb View Post
...WA have to use 'moss control' on roofs, but no hail damage like Colo.
JanB, if I may say so, your informative postings, sprinkled with tidbits like this, add so much Northwest flavor that it really makes me feel at home!
Thank you!

Our Roosevelt elk do bugle on occasion. Hormones singing "Cows come to papa, ya' other bulls back off!"
But it's amazing that our gorgeous bald eagles can only produce such paltry screeches, compared to the bold call of our red-tailed hawks.
My tidbits of local flavor for the day.

Old 01-08-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post
JanB, if I may say so, your informative postings, sprinkled with tidbits like this, add so much Northwest flavor that it really makes me feel at home!
Thank you!

Our Roosevelt elk do bugle on occasion. Hormones singing "Cows come to papa, ya' other bulls back off!"
But it's amazing that our gorgeous bald eagles can only produce such paltry screeches, compared to the bold call of our red-tailed hawks.
My tidbits of local flavor for the day.
maybe we can meet to share some 'moss control' hints...I just attacked mine while taking down the Christmas lights (sh-sh don't tell "the friends of the gorge" )

also watch those eagles! they would never warn us before snatching our salmon from the dock when we lived on Thetis Island. lesson learned, ... take the fish to the boat house 1st, and come back for the outboard motor later !

Old 02-04-2012, 01:04 AM

161 posts, read 645,773 times
i moved here from denver about a year ago. here is my take, colo is dry climate even with four season. denver is kinda like an island on its own. some what isolated city. liberal like PNW. things cost more in WA than colo. coffee,fast food, tobacco, beer, food, etc. colo have 4.63% income tax, low property tax. if you are a home owner in WA, they will get you. im paying about 3-4k per year. i used to pay about $900 per year in property taxes in denver. no income tax state, but they make it up in other areas. WA is a beautiful state no doubt about it! people are not as open and friendly as denver folks. most people here mind their business, kinda hard to meet new people here. but, lot of outdoor activities, and nature to enjoy. i love WA so far, i dont regret moving here.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM

1,729 posts, read 3,592,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Having 'elective hobbies' outside vs. 'mandantory work tasks' could make living w/ 285 days of rain a whole lot different, my wife thinks it's great (she sews and reads...)
Oh please....That's just Patently false. Seriously.

Really? You claim to have an ounce of credibility when you say stuff like that and then this?

Quote:
WA schools (k-12) are good on the Islands (san Juan) and in Pullman , Lynden and along Lake WA $$$, pretty crummy elsewhere,
Get your advice elsewhere. This guy hasn't clue one about good schools or the weather.

Fact. It does not rain 285 days a year in WA - And it's not close (Unless you're in the Hoh Rain Forest) Seattle for example rains on 150 days a year.

Fact- There are lots of great schools throughout WA State. Even with the Seattle School district there are phenomenal schools. The only thing you said that was good advice was to get involved and do your homework..

Here's example. Two schools. The first if from Mercer Island School District, renowned for its high test scores. The second, is from an Elementary school in the Seattle district. If you ever need facts regarding schools, go to the OPSI site (linked below.

http://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/sum...=&year=2010-11
http://reportcard.ospi.k12.wa.us/sum...=&year=2010-11

Last edited by Bill Loney; 02-05-2012 at 03:27 PM..

Old 12-28-2013, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 13,900 times
Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I've done 25 yrs in each
Loveland, / Masonville / Estes Park Co (NE)

and Vancouver / West Columbia Gorge WA (SW)

really depends alot on what you are looking for. (Work, culture, recreation, weather)

I find WA is not as friendly, and most of our good friends are still from Colo, but that really is specific to areas, as WA home is pretty 'Urban' county (commuters to PDX) and the rural parts have been loggers (independant) Colo was more agrarian, (which I prefer, more socialble, help each other)

interesting that 70% of our neighbors in WA have unlisted phone numbers, I tribute this to the fact this area was settled by folks wanting to 'get away', but I note that certain social studies target the PNW as being 'anti-social'. Kinda like the church statistics ~3-5% churched in PNW where Colo is likely closer to 30-50%.

WA - ***
is really 2 different states (east side / farms and dry and conservative) West is liberal, green, timber and Starbucks (and controls all the voting, same as OR)
no state income tax, ok if you have income (I'm recently retired, (laid-off) and am forced to leave WA due to property tax burden) Tough taxation for an independent businessman also. (I'm also tired of 'leaky cars, rusty tools and electrical issues due to moisture', we had 24" rain in Nov and 12" in Dec, that's adequate...) It has snowed 4 times, tho not much, but 3 days of freezing rain and 70 mph winds just last week. It's been an 'extreme' water yr already, started in Oct...
Recreation is pretty good, and you can still 'get away' without crowds.
weather, you can choose from the gamit, Spokane is quite similar to Colo, but cloudier in winter and warmer in summer.
Culture is good and diverse (you don't have to go to Denver (or Portland or Seattle for everything)
Lots to see and do (sea kayaking to snow skiing all within 1 hr (if on west side)) But, the rain can get some folks down, and some need to use 'light therapy' in winter. Basically you need to exercise and endure / enjoy it. It really wears me down, having been a prairie boy, and often having to work on my WA farm in the rain (prune, plow and plant...) + building homes and structures, you just have to get wet and do-it, don't wait for a clear day (June) I dislike only having 80-100 days of sun to get outdoor stuff built, bulldozed, fixed, improved... and end up missing those as precious days of recreation,

so... don't be a driven farmer and live 'westside' (you also have a very tenuos crop production... mold, frost, ... (but not hail, like Colo ) Having 'elective hobbies' outside vs. 'mandantory work tasks' could make living w/ 285 days of rain a whole lot different, my wife thinks it's great (she sews and reads...)

WA schools (k-12) are good on the Islands (san Juan) and in Pullman , Lynden and along Lake WA $$$, pretty crummy elsewhere, the state statistics are available and very telling, you need to be selective, or better yet - be involved!! We homeschooled thru grade 10, then kids did 'community college' (for free jr and sr yrs WA 'Running Start Program') both graduated from state U's with only 2 years of loans

Colo ****
is really nice, can be mild in areas (not this week...very rare blizzard, I rode my bike to work all but 3 days my last yr in Colorado) Biking is MUCH better - snow shoulders on roads, legal use of right lane to bikes, people give you space (definately not that way in WA ) lots to see, not so much to do... hiking vistas are much more scenic (fewer trees in the way) Stars are great. Beach is A LONG ways away...

It's really getting too crowded and expensive and available water might become a BIG(-ger) issue, especially if / when we(USA) has a food crisis... The Denver airport is in Kansas (I like to travel internationally, so Portland and Seattle are (were) great hubs)
Pollution is a problem on eastern slope (front range)
Schools are probably better, tho not necessarily

Give me some more ideas what you're looking for (jobs, family, recreation, businesses, school)

FYI, the last 'total state tax burden' info I got put WA at #7 (expensive) and Colo #26. Again not too important if you are an 'employee', but if a business owner or farmer, or retired, it is VERY important. Wyoming on the other hand,,, very cheap taxes, great schools (generally) but having growing pains, and is really windy ! and cold too, short on trees also (that is a concern for my wife... )
I just want to let you know that you have single-handily convinced me to never move to the PNW. I've been looking at both the PNW and Colorado as possible future places to live or (in the far future for myself) to retire. What you wrote about bike laws was crucial for me: I commute via bicycle and also enjoy them recreationally quite a thoroughly :-). Sounds like Colorado's laws are clearly in favor of bicycling...which I consider a moral imperative nowadays with our seas practically boiling over from global warming.

Thank you SO SO Much!! Fort Collins it is :-P

Old 12-28-2013, 11:58 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,334,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodFarlee View Post

Wenatchee (eastern WA)
rainfall over 0.01" 65 days, over 0.1" 28 days per year
rainfall average 9" per year
snowfall average 27" per year
average January hi 35, low 22 F
average July hi 88, low 60 F
These numbers are misleading for Wenatchee and I assume the others. The 9 inch rainfall is total precipitation. RAIN AND SNOW. I can tell you that there are not 93 rainy days in Wenatchee.

My daughter was almost two before she saw rain and we were in Seattle at the time.

Downside to eastern Washington weather is the period between Thanksgiving and President's Day. Those are the times you want to be elsewhere than eastern Washington.

Downside to western Washington weather is the period between September 15th and July 4th. Those are the times you want to be elsewhere than western Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington