U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:04 AM

103 posts, read 442,043 times

Advertisements

i'd rather live in the TC or walla walla than tacoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 06:27 PM

118 posts, read 367,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
A couple years ago Tacoma was rated the worst big city to live. This was do to a combination of things such as crime, depression, suicide, etc. Although, I think it gets a bad rep. No offense, but I would never go to work for UW. You should look into a better school like Wazzu ; ) Go COUGS!!!!
Actually it wasn't worst city to live, it was most stressful city. There is a difference.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw1283 View Post
Tacoma is awful, plain and simple. San Diego is heaven compared to Tacoma (and most everywhere else in my opinion ). The only place to live in WA is Bellevue/east side area, but thats over an hour away from UW-T. Tacoma is being overrun with dangerous ghetto folks with no standards. Also, there is no singles life in Tacoma. Most guys are dooshbags and the girls are a joke. Tacoma is one of the worst places I've ever been. The only "nice" part is near Staduim/"North end" but its old and slowly being overrun by awful people. Stay in SD
Wow this is horribly biased. It's coming from a Seattleite though

Old 01-31-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Listen to a native

OK here's my two cents. Born and raised in Ttown. It's not black and white and a lot of people on this board are making Tacoma out to be. Simple as this...there are bad parts yes but I wouldn't call them bad like inner city Chicago. I would say somewhat run down but not really dangerous. I can drive through East Tacoma and Hiltop and I feel mostly safe. Actually safer in Hiltop and with homes there being over $400,000 I would hope so! North Tacoma and Northeast Tacoma are absolutely beautiful! Very nice, classy, but somewhat yuppie. Anything north of 6th ave. is just great and EXPENSIVE! East Tacoma has gotten bad rap lately so that might be debateable. But downtown is ten times better than it was 15 years ago. I feel safe down there at night because it's so nice and there's security guards everywhere. This might just be downtown downtown though, because parts of downtown are still a bit run down. So basically parts of south and east tacoma are kinda shady while the rest of the town is great! Even the shady parts aren't too bad if you're on a budget.

Try to get that job at UWT. It's a great school and it's got a great campus. I love everything about downtown now that it's all revitalized. I would live in North Tacoma if I could but it's so expensive. So yeah there you go. Make sure you avoid people on here who are from Seattle and think they know everything about a place they've never lived before.

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 17,338 times
I work at St.Joseph hospital in Tacoma and I always make sure that I don't work the late shift...SCARY!!! But don't dispair you don't have to live there.
We live in a wonderful neighborhood called Beachcrest in Olympia, takes me about 30min to get to work. So take a look at Oly.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:11 PM

10 posts, read 33,927 times
OK...I have to laugh because there are so many mixed reviews about Tacoma. The funny thing is, I'm moving to the Seattle/Tacoma area in a couple of months and absolutely abhorr San Diego. I've lived here my entire life and it's too....how do I put it? Ok, it's gone from being a pretty kinda multicultural small town to being this big transitive metropolitian city where the people are preSUMPTUOUS!!! I can't stand it. I'm a rare species I know, having lived here for over thirty years, but it sucks and I'm ready to move or lose my mind. I hope the person who wanted to move from SD to Seattle/Tacoma was NOT swayed by the negative remarks. Folks that have lived in both....say Tacoma is better. Sorry for the negatives, but that's from people who have lived in Southern Cali for a while and are giving these positive opinions....ta hell with it. I'm going! LOL

Old 07-09-2007, 10:21 PM

6,023 posts, read 10,830,937 times
Tacoma is a blue collar town with a lot of hoodlums, And that pulp mill smell is what I call "The Tacoma Aroma" ! If you go there be sure to check out Salmon Beach.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 PM

5,599 posts, read 16,381,115 times
Jeez, rickers, if you think the "aroma of Tacoma" is bad now, you should've smelled it about 40 years ago!

I thought most of the pulp mills are gone now ...?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:20 PM

13,207 posts, read 17,899,748 times
Locals often call Tacoma "Tacompton." They aren't far wrong.

The whole area is having a really bad gang problem now. Tacoma and Everett are particularly gang-infested, but even the suburbs aren't immune to it. There was a big gang bust just a week or two ago in Des Moines.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:13 AM

388 posts, read 1,570,337 times
I lived in Tacoma for 28 years...I never heard the term "Tacompton."

What neighborhood of Tacoma is named Des Moines?

Excuse me, but your slip is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington