Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2006, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 8,167 times

Advertisements

We currently rent on the Olympic Peninsula and are planning to permanently settle in Washington. We really like the Peninsula but in the last 5 years prices have increased dramatically. Actually everything on the west side of the Cascades has increased quite a bit so we are thinking about the east side. Fortunately, our work allows us to live almost anywhere so we can move into an area that is less expensive than a big city or some desirable area. So we have looked on the map at areas such as Oroville, Tonasket, Goldendale, etc. These areas look nice as they are out of the serious desert. We do like open spaces and farm land and would like to stay out of the forrest. We do need to be close to a large enough city that has fresh produce, seafood, etc. A little culture would be nice too. Any recommendations would be welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2006, 12:22 PM

Let's expand on this a bit. We're looking for a smallish, 2k to 15k, with a bit of culture in eastern WA. We don't like rodeo but do like wine, hiking, mountain biking, road biking, mini farms to by greens, etc. Any ideas would be great!!! Thanks, and it looks like all of WA has a sunny day today.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 8,818 times
Okanogan Valley is nice area to live. It is 3 hours from spokane and 90 minutes from Wenetchee. Wenetchee is nice city to live in. I grew up in Omak area. You can pull information up on the internet for Omak and Okanogan. Tonasket is nice small town about 40 miles from Okanogan. There is many little towns to live in, in Eastern Washington. I now live in Colorado but will be moving back to Washington. There is alot of nice lakes to swim in and the Columbia River too. My husband love to fish and camp in our RV. There is alot of places to do that there. No big crowds to deal with. Good luck. Carol

Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM

291 posts, read 709,701 times
Default some nice towns, east

White Salmon, Deer Park, Chelan.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:18 PM

28 posts, read 38,089 times
Shelton is very nice and cheap.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:21 PM

Thanks everyone. But could you expand on those towns a bit. What's to do, climate, available fresh veggies and fruits, seafood, farmers markets, etc. Do these towns have nice planning for future growth? Thanks!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,722 times
Smile Okanogan County

Okanogan County is the place you'll want to be. It has more to offer than rodeos. Okanogan has approximately 300 days of Sun, four distinct seasons a rich history and a variety of cultural and recreational activities. Plus, Okanogan is becoming known for it's many wineries. Add an excellent school system, fully stocked libraries and pristine wilderness with majestic panoramic views and the question is why would you want to live anywhere else?

Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,010 times
Question about Tonasket area..

What kind of Camping or freedom to pull up in a truck, with camper on truck bed, would I have in this area, should I want to spend some outdoor time, with my dog, and my Camera. Like is there free Forest roads that can be used and if so, are there any problems I should know about.
Thanks for any replies in advance.

Joseph

Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 15,343 times
I grew up in Eastern Washington, and have lived pretty much half my life on each side of the mountains. It looks to me as I read your posts about what you want to have available to you, that you are describing two possible places: Yakima or Spokane. With each of these you will have access to all the services you want, medical, cultural, historical, natural beauty, things to do, access to shopping including specialty services, and so on. Both are large enough to have all these things and small enough to lack the problems of larger cities. Farm land type settings are going to be especially apparent around Yakima. Spokane has glorious parks (check out Manito Park!) and a different sort of ecosystem around it - rocky with pine trees here and there, while Yakima is truly the gentle looking town grown up around an agricultural base. One thing Yakima has its favor is that it is less than two hours from Seattle, so if you want to go to the Pike Place Market or soak up the green side for some other reason, it's a quick easy trip. Spokane is much, much further. If you've lived on the Penninsula, you may find that you suffer "green withdrawal" when you move east - though on the other hand you may quickly become a sun lover. I would strongly suggest you rent in Eastern Washington through some portion of both winter and summer to be sure you know what you are getting. I cannot stress enough just HOW different they are. Climate, politics, pace of life, social practices, economics, ecology.... you name it, they are completely different. (YOu may find that a lot of Eastern WA tends to view the Westside and people there collectively with suspicion as "damn liberals" and "tree huggers". ) Winters on the east side are COLD but because they are dry, you can easily bundle up and stay warm; on the west side, as you know, chilly days leak through everything but fleece. Summers on the east side are HOT, but because they are also dry, they don't have the stiffling effects of more humid areas. AND in many parts of Eastern WA, the saving factor in the heat is the wonderful breeze (sometimes WIND) that makes late afternoon and evening absolutely dreamy. Get air conditioning and gas heat - you'll bankrupt yourself with electric heat. RENT FIRST. Making the change from one side to another can be a jolt and it isn't for everyone. But many people find they love the slower pace, quieter setting, and sunny skies of the eastside even after living on the Emerald slopes.

Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington