Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberyl View Post
Another main concern of mine is... does it snow in these towns? I am really looking to move to somewhere that gets snow for at least 3 months out of the year.

Also, how much does it rain? And how much sun?
It snows (and sticks) in Eastern Washington, and is pretty sunny most of the time. (4 seasons)

Western Washington is cloudy and rains a lot. Only snows a few times/year. Very green!

I personally like college towns, so I would suggest Pullman, Wa. where Washington State University is located. I love the weather there! They have excellent public schools and are about 30 minutes to Lewiston/Clarkston and 1.5-2 hours to Spokane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 05:35 AM

65 posts, read 292,257 times
If you want lots of green, you're not going to get lots of snow.

Western Washington is very verdant, but also warmed from the air off the Pacific. You can pretty much count on a few snow flurries every winter, but as far as snow on the ground for more than a week at the very MOST--never happens. Ok, maybe a fluke winter every 20-30 years. Every 2-3 years there will be a "big" snowstorm where you'll get 4-5 inches that stay around for a couple of days, but 95% of winter days will be rainy and 40 degrees.

The mighty Cascades, which split the state into two, also split the climate into two. Eastern Washington is much drier--some parts are quite scrubby and almost desert-like, but there is also more distinct seasons and more snow to be had.

I would also recommend Pullman. My husband graduated from WSU and reports that it meets your criteria, snow and all : )

I understand the craving for seasons; we've been living on Guam (tropical island; 90 degrees every day of the year) for five years and are trying to get transferred to the Chicago area. Everyone says, "But it's freezing and miserable there!" and we go, "I know! We can't wait!"

Good luck in your search and enjoy the wonderful Evergreen State! My family and I are proud to be native Washingtonians : )

Old 05-15-2008, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 6,014 times
Look at Cashmere, Washington... small, quaint, rural feel. Close to a small river. Really family oriented community. Less than 15 minutes from Wenatchee for decent shopping. Wenatchee also has a community college, or there are other colleges in washington state within 1-2 hours of Cashmere. You DEFINITELY get 4 seasons here.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,035,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLThune View Post
Look at Cashmere, Washington... small, quaint, rural feel. Close to a small river. Really family oriented community. Less than 15 minutes from Wenatchee for decent shopping. Wenatchee also has a community college, or there are other colleges in washington state within 1-2 hours of Cashmere. You DEFINITELY get 4 seasons here.
Cashmere is a nice town, but if you have kids you might want to visit the schools before you commit. Check those WASL scores!!

Also property taxes are very expensive in the Cashmere School District....we finally got our home transferred out of the Cashmere School District. Don't ask on how to do it....we were correcting a historical mistake!! Our property taxes on a 200,000 assessed valuation home went down by over a $1,000 dollars per year!!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:07 AM

850 posts, read 3,715,052 times
Quote:
I live in Mesa, Arizona and I am considering moving to Washington because I have been without the four seasons for too long. I really want to live somewhere where each season gets equal time share.

I also have two small children (5+6) who will both be starting school this year, so I want to move before school starts so they will not have to switch schools later on. I need to move somewhere that has great education either in the town, or very nearby, so we could commute.

I am looking for a quaint town, much like the town of Stars Hollow in Gilmore Girls. I want to live somewhere where everyone knows everyone else.

I would like to be close enough to at least one larger city. And close enough to a decent college.

I am planning for this to be my last move. I want to settle down and raise my family. Can anyone please suggest a town that sounds like what I am looking for?
Don't move to western Washington. We do not get four seasons. We don't get snow if that is what you're looking for. We get about nine months of rain. If you want four seasons, move to the east side of the mountains. There are some beautiful towns over there that I'm sure that you would like.

Have you considered Bend, Oregon?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:47 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,422,962 times
Quote:
Oh and thank you Bigtrees for your perspective.

I do want to see green! I don't like living in the desert.
Well, that leaves out most of Eastern Washington...some Pine in the Spokane area...Port Orchard could be a possibility, I grew up there when there was one traffic light, lol....when Fleetwood Mac was on the top of the charts..
Still have family there, home prices are up there, but so is everywhere on the
west side of the state, being Gig Harbor one of the highest...

Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 AM

426 posts, read 957,788 times
Actually the entire NE corner of the state is heavily forested with Pine, Larch (AKA Tamarack), Cedar varieties and Doug Fir. Not at all desert-like in Spokane, Stevens or PO counties. The Tri-cities on the other hand......

Old 05-21-2008, 01:01 PM

41 posts, read 196,692 times
Default N/E corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Actually the entire NE corner of the state is heavily forested with Pine, Larch (AKA Tamarack), Cedar varieties and Doug Fir. Not at all desert-like in Spokane, Stevens or PO counties. The Tri-cities on the other hand......
That sounds wonderful! What cities would you recommend in those counties? In the N/E corner of WA?

I am also going to check out Pullman, Cashmere and Port Orchard, right now.

I have looked at Bend, OR, and it seemed very nice. I just wasn't sure about the weather, what it was like there?

Last edited by Amberyl; 05-21-2008 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: mis spell

Old 05-21-2008, 06:37 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,052 times
Bend has a very nice climate. It gets hot in the summer, mostly in the 90s, and you get a nice amount of snow in the winter. There is not a lot of green there, but it's not totally desert. The Deschutes River is nice there too.

I would not consider Port Orchard if you are looking to get snow. I live just a few miles from there--in Gig Harbor--and we do not get snow very often. Some years it doesn't snow at all. If it does, it's only around an inch, and then it melts by the next day. It is very green because it's practically a rain forest around here. If you're into that, then this area might be good for you. Summers are absolutely beautiful here. The winters, however, are not.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 5,847 times
Default Arizonan Moving to Washington State

Hi,

I lived in Tucson for over 20 years and recently moved to Gig Harbor WA. This sounds like it may work for you as far as smaller and quaint. Feel free to ask me whatever you need to, as I know quite a bit about both areas now. mod cut: soliciting removed

Last edited by scirocco22; 07-08-2008 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: no soliciting in posts, please. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington