Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM

11 posts, read 22,250 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation to Washington from Idaho. I have been an elementary school teacher in Idaho for the past couple of years. I am trying to find out what it is like to be a teacher in WA. Pros? Cons? Health benefits? Salary?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:43 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,810,320 times
They're looking to lay off teachers here, I don't know if you can even get a job as a teacher here. Maybe it's better on the Eastern side of WA.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:51 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,698,040 times
My wife is one of the 3,300 let go in the last 18 months in WA state, and they are looking at more layoff's. My wife had 2 years experience and I hear they are looking at cutting those with 3-5 years now... Washington is 43rd in per/student spending out of 50 states, our retraining programs are full of teachers now.
Had my job not panned out here we would have been heading your way to Idaho, I do not like what this state has become.
If you are h@ll bent on heading out this way you should post your school and city you are leaving so one of the nations 125,000 laid off teachers can have a shot at a job, and have another one lined up before you move.
If there is openings be very cautious, some area's of Seattle will get you $500,000 plus for home or condo and you'll only get paid $35-$60k depending on experience and education level...which is why the position is open..
No realtor "it's so cute here" sales pitch....just the cold hard facts.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,402,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
They're looking to lay off teachers here, I don't know if you can even get a job as a teacher here. Maybe it's better on the Eastern side of WA.
It's not.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:42 PM

291 posts, read 945,450 times
Very timely thread. My wife and I are looking to move to the Mount Vernon area in the summer of 2011 (maybe sooner). I am a nurse and she is a special education teacher. Any insight on the special education job market is fairing? My wife is in her tenth year as a special education teacher.

We are moving to be closer to her parents and also to take her back home to the west coast. I am hoping that things will be different for special ed and also different by June 2011.

Any thoughts?

wc@h

Old 03-17-2010, 03:01 PM

11 posts, read 22,250 times
Thank you for all the honest information everyone. My husband is a nurse- I'm now hoping that the market is better for RN's than it is for teachers? That seems to be the case in most places we've looked into. I'm willing to take a substitute teaching position and wait it out. For all our sakes, hopefully the cut backs in education end soon. Teachers are still being hired in Idaho (surely at a slower rate than before) but salaries and benefits have been getting worse and worse since I entered the field in 2006. It is true that the cost of living is much lower here.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,698,040 times
The nursing positions are going away as well, people are retraining and there is just too many un-employed out there....
As far as substitute teaching, it is different in different districts. Ours chooses subs according to education and experience, so my wife(masters degree) always got a call probably 80% of the time. Now so many have been let go that she had to give up on it and is now retraining. We are hoping that one or the other will pan out, but I have a bad feeling by the time she is done retraining that field may have a surplus of workers as well...
I wouldn't be leaving good jobs for greener pastures right now if I were you, it's going downhill everywhere.

At heart, I have a relative in spec. ed, she always has work but the pay isn't great. They got into their home before the housing run up which is the only reason it works for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: