Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 PM

21 posts, read 14,397 times

Advertisements

I am from Southern California and am looking into moving to Northern Idaho area (Moscow, Coeur D' Alene, Sandpoint). The Superfund Site has contaminated Coeur D' Alene lake and surrounding Aquifers (to my researching knowledge). What is the safest distance to live away from the site, in terms of drinking well water. As well as, if there is an EPA map showing the leaching from the contaminated Lake? Thank y'all for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 09:38 AM

147 posts, read 167,809 times
I assume you posted this in the Idaho forum also?

I have also read of the issues with Coeur D' Alene contamination. It originated from the Coeur D' Alene river which feeds it. Too bad Idaho allowed this, it is such a beautiful area. Here is a list of Idaho superfund sites.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...sites_in_Idaho

the TOXMAP was a good source of Toxic sites in the US, but Trump shut it down in 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOXMAP

Old 05-09-2020, 08:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
On the surface you have the wrong forum, but giving the benefit of doubt, Idaho certainly offers a strong border with Washington. From NID down to the Lewiston/Clarkston area there are many fine areas in Idaho close to Washington.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:01 AM

Thank you Razmatazzy for the Superfund site information. The Coeur D' Alene lake is so beautiful, yet so toxic. Very sad. Why did you move out of that area?

Pnwguy2, I am sorry about posting on the wrong forum. This is my first post, as I am new to this site. Thank you for further confirming those areas. I have been looking just west of Moscow and Lewiston, in the hills and mountains

Old 05-10-2020, 01:53 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
If you liked the idea of acreage, peace and quiet there are lots of options in outlying areas from Lewiston. This way you could take a short drive to shop but remain OUT of any city type of environment. I am quite surprised how "head in the sand" folks near Coeur D Alene are about their levels of toxins pumped into their area via the mining just to the East. Yeah I AM an "anti mining" type of guy. The rapeing and contamination of what would otherwise have been wonderful areas over all these years to me IS a sin. But there you have it. It was all about $$$ and they threw the environment out the window. Further north of CDL however there are some places to be had a bit more free of that garbage. The weather is a bit more temperate however more towards Lewiston. Something to consider. Take a peep sometime at the Zillow site and you can get a glimpse of land for sale as well as homes in all the areas of interest. IT can give you a free heads up of what's out there.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:19 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
As an aside, if you like warm to hot summers, and mostly moderate winters, there are a few locations to look at. One is the above mentioned Lewiston/Clarkston, similar in climate to Boise or Tri-Cities, WA.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpickle93 View Post
I am from Southern California and am looking into moving to Northern Idaho area (Moscow, Coeur D' Alene, Sandpoint). The Superfund Site has contaminated Coeur D' Alene lake and surrounding Aquifers (to my researching knowledge). What is the safest distance to live away from the site, in terms of drinking well water. As well as, if there is an EPA map showing the leaching from the contaminated Lake? Thank y'all for your help.
We have a house right on Lake Coeur D’Alene and have a well. Before we bought the house we had the well water checked for everything including heavy metals.
It was completely fine.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:53 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,759,259 times
The primary contamination on the Lake in Coeur D Alene is the sediment on the bottom. Makes sense if you have a competently drilled well that doesn't tap into the same aquifer that feeds the lake you'll be fine. I'm not sure where CDA gets their drinking water however which might be something brought into question. Just sad it even had to happen that way

Old 05-11-2020, 07:32 PM

Thank you dcisive. I agree that mining back in the day seemed so destructive to the environment. I am checking out Lewiston, Moscow, and as well as Idaho City area.
pewguy2, I am considering Moscow and Lewiston.
I appreciate that misty river. That gives me clarity of how the lake might not be so bad.
Drinking water is a good thing to look into when it comes to CDA

Old 05-11-2020, 09:49 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
The city of Coeur D’Alene gets all of its drinking water from the Rathdrum Prairie aquifer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of: