U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:20 AM

22 posts, read 182,951 times

Advertisements

I am curious, what is the best way for my husband to find a carpool buddy from Olympia to either Fort Lewis or the VA Hospital in Lakewood or Seattle(his strongest job prospects)? Is there a carpool website, local newspapers, thru the employer... Do people typically carpool from Olympia to Fort Lewis or only for further away commutes?

Sorry for my ignorance on this topic, but carpooling is basically unheard of in my area.

We are 5+ months out from actually relocating, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, so when the times comes I'm prepared, prepared as one can be anyway for a trip across country.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 08:26 AM

5,598 posts, read 17,008,824 times
Get in touch with the program that matches riders or car or van pooling at the local transit agency. Most of the large transit agencies in the Puget Sound area have such programs and InterCity Transit (http://www.intercitytransit.com/page.cfm?ID=0018 - broken link) (Olympia's public transit agency) does have such a program.

They have a match system for people that work in or around the same place and go to work and get off at the same time. It can either be by car or van depending on the number of people involved.

With gas prices rising the way they are, it only makes sense to explore this option.

Intercity Transit: Vanpools & Carpools (http://www.intercitytransit.com/page.cfm?ID=0018 - broken link)

I'm almost certain that they have van-pools going to the Fort Lewis area. They have van-pools going as far as Boeing and Weyerhaeuser --and even as far as Aberdeen as the article below points out.

Be sure to read this too:

Vanpool Program 25th Anniversary (http://www.intercitytransit.com/page.cfm?ID=0468 - broken link)

Old 04-27-2008, 10:15 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,055,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I ♥ the PNW View Post
I am curious, what is the best way for my husband to find a carpool buddy from Olympia to either Fort Lewis or the VA Hospital in Lakewood or Seattle(his strongest job prospects)? Is there a carpool website, local newspapers, thru the employer... Do people typically carpool from Olympia to Fort Lewis or only for further away commutes?

Sorry for my ignorance on this topic, but carpooling is basically unheard of in my area.

We are 5+ months out from actually relocating, but I'm trying to gather as much info as I can, so when the times comes I'm prepared, prepared as one can be anyway for a trip across country.

Thanks
Why are you so set on Olympia? It is simply the population is similiar to Mankato? Or did someone recommend it to you? Does it remind you of your living situation in Minnesota? I'm curious as to why your heart is set on Olympia for your home...

Old 04-27-2008, 10:21 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,588,627 times
The State of Washington has a van-pool program. I don't know all the details, but I think you need at least 6 people to participate to receive a commuting van. It costs $80 per person a month... and here is the beauty of it: The Army will reimburse 100% of the cost for their personnel (civilian or military).
Definitely something you'll want to check out if your husband plans to commute to Fort Lewis.

Sandy

Old 04-27-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
The State of Washington has a van-pool program. I don't know all the details, but I think you need at least 6 people to participate to receive a commuting van. It costs $80 per person a month... and here is the beauty of it: The Army will reimburse 100% of the cost for their personnel (civilian or military).
Definitely something you'll want to check out if your husband plans to commute to Fort Lewis.

Sandy
WOW, that is super that the Army will reimburse the carpool fee, Fort Lewis is our #1 choice for my husbands employment, that little tid bit of info makes it all the more appealing! There actually aren't many jobs within Fort Lewis currently that suit my husband, we pretty much check USA jobs daily, sure hoping that will change come Fall.

Anyone know if the VA Hospital reimburses carpool fees?

Also, scirocco22 your info was very helpful, great program, you're right it does seem the only way to go these days with the rising gas prices! It would also allow us to downsize to 1 vehicle, we were hoping to not have to move 2 vehicles and a moving truck 1,800 miles.

Thanks to both of you.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmagone View Post
Why are you so set on Olympia? It is simply the population is similiar to Mankato? Or did someone recommend it to you? Does it remind you of your living situation in Minnesota? I'm curious as to why your heart is set on Olympia for your home...
Why we are attracted to Olympia...population, low crime, lots of water & parks, walking access to a great farmers market, 2 food coops, any type of shopping we would need within city limits, easy access to Fort Lewis-our #1 job prospect, low cost of living when compared to Seattle suburbs, housing affordability- we can get a new or fairly new house for $200k, 60-70 miles to the Coast, located between Seattle & Portland, both of which we will visit frequently...I'm sure there is more, I just haven't discovered it yet...

Maybe when we visit this Fall our opinion will change, we certainly can't make a wise decision until we have explored the area. It seems in a round about way you are trying to talk me out of living in Olympia??? Did you have a bad experience in Olympia?

Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 PM
KLW

14 posts, read 51,099 times
scirocco22 posted the best links to find carpool and vanpool information. DH works at Madigan Hospital and we live in Olympia, and he found his carpool through those sites. He'd love to vanpool, but is finding it difficult to find 5-6 people who work his same shift! Carpooling is going well though, and definitely saving on fuel costs!

And your reasons for "Why we are attracted to Olympia" are a lot of the same reasons we love Olympia! You'll love the Farmer's Market and the Olympia Food Co-op, and there are great hiking and biking trails, along with great water access! PM me if you'd like other info about Olympia....we love it here!

Old 04-27-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLW View Post
scirocco22 posted the best links to find carpool and vanpool information. DH works at Madigan Hospital and we live in Olympia, and he found his carpool through those sites. He'd love to vanpool, but is finding it difficult to find 5-6 people who work his same shift! Carpooling is going well though, and definitely saving on fuel costs!

And your reasons for "Why we are attracted to Olympia" are a lot of the same reasons we love Olympia! You'll love the Farmer's Market and the Olympia Food Co-op, and there are great hiking and biking trails, along with great water access! PM me if you'd like other info about Olympia....we love it here!
Thanks KLW, I am super appreciative to the people that have opened up to my questions, it sure is helpful. If I think of anything specific I will send you a message, very nice of you to offer! I am curious how long you have lived in Olympia, and if you moved there from another state?

Seems insane to want to skip over spring & summer in MN, but I really can't wait until October when we are slotted to visit. The more "WE LOVE IT HERE" votes I get on this forum, the more excited I get!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:58 AM
KLW

14 posts, read 51,099 times
We're Midwestern transplants also, originally from WI. We know a lot of Midwestern transplants in WA. You definitely won't miss the summer humidity and mosquitos in the Midwest after you move here! And, if you want snow, you can drive a hour or so and have 20 feet or more of it. And the access to the ocean and the mountains....need I say more?!?

We moved to the Seattle area in 1996, spent 12 years there in various places, and then moved to Olympia last June. If you're familiar with Madison, WI, Olympia is a lot like it IMO....just smaller and more military.

Do realize that by October, you're going to be on the verge of our rainy season.....you could have sun, could have rain during your visit. But, the weather will still be fairly temperate and you'll still be able to experience the late fall offerings of the Farmer's Market!

Have fun with your relocation.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLW View Post
We're Midwestern transplants also, originally from WI. We know a lot of Midwestern transplants in WA. You definitely won't miss the summer humidity and mosquitos in the Midwest after you move here! And, if you want snow, you can drive a hour or so and have 20 feet or more of it. And the access to the ocean and the mountains....need I say more?!?

We moved to the Seattle area in 1996, spent 12 years there in various places, and then moved to Olympia last June. If you're familiar with Madison, WI, Olympia is a lot like it IMO....just smaller and more military.

Do realize that by October, you're going to be on the verge of our rainy season.....you could have sun, could have rain during your visit. But, the weather will still be fairly temperate and you'll still be able to experience the late fall offerings of the Farmer's Market!

Have fun with your relocation.
No swarms of mosquitoes-No humidity-No below zero temps--ohhhhhhh how heavenly!!! Those are definitely among the top reasons to escape MN. They were just talking on the news last night about how the bat population is declining and how that will mean more mosquitoes here, I looked at my husband and asked if we could move before June arrives-lol

We do realize that you will be entering rainy season, but my husband is currently serving on deployment status with the Army and it is nearly impossible for him to escape until his orders are up Sept. 30. Maybe we will luck out and have some nice indian summer weather, if not, it will be a good chance to experience what it is like there for several months out of the year. I'm quite certain I can tolerate rainy/gloomy in exchange for all the MN weather downfalls!?

Thanks again, it is nice to get some opinions from a Midwest native who can appreciate all the reasons we want to escape MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington