U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 10:10 PM

6,158 posts, read 13,370,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Just comparing the two.... The Bill Creek place is closer to the freeway than you might want, and it's a bit of an oddly shaped property that might be hard to use.

The Greenwater location is a good distance from the freeway.... not close, but not too far when you want to go somewhere either. The Greenwater property is a lovely setting on a very interesting part of the river to walk, if you look on the map, you are very close to an interesting bend in the river and an interesting scenic cliff on the opposing bank. I like it. And it's cheaper than Bill Creek.

Of course the first thing I would check out on ANY riverfront property is flood zones, and these two properties both check out OK according to the flood map. Greenwater has some low parts near the river that will certainly flood, but not apparently up where the house and buildings are.

Bill Creek is safe from flooding also, and would in fact have a fantastic view of the extensive flood plain on the other side of the river. Look up the fema maps and you'll see what I mean. You'll be high and dry, looking out over a LOT of water. Interesting to be sure, in the season!

Toledo is not a bad little town, but there's not much there! It is commutable to Chehalis/Centralia for major shopping for anything you can't get in Toledo.... getting closer to Portland for flying out but still driveable to Seattle too.
Good points about the flood maps. I really like the area's location with such close proximity to Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens. I couldn't help but wonder if its in the lava flow area of Mt. St. Helens' path being rather close. When we were vacationing on the Big Island folks were losing their homes who built right in the path of the volcano - Kilauea. One guy lost his entire retirement investment. It wiped out a beautiful section of coast as well that was famous for snorkeling. The ash and vog was so heavy it was hard to breath at times. America’s Most Hazardous Volcano Erupted

Fortunately, it looks like Toledo is above the main lava flow danger zone. After what we experienced on the Big Island, I would definitely avoid the main hazard zones. Though surprisingly, or maybe not, there are many homes close the base that I noticed last time I was up that way.

Mt. Adams volcanic mud flows down to Riffe Lake:

And my favorite volcano, the beautiful Mt. Rainier:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-19-2020 at 10:49 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 05-20-2020, 09:24 AM

424 posts, read 349,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Awesome! thanks for the suggestions. I like the Riffle Lakes area, wasn't even looking there.

Something like this seems almost perfect: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Toledo/363..._campaign=copy

What would be the negatives of living at that location?
I find it interesting that this same home on Zillow lists it in Yelm. There is about an hour drive between the two.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 AM

9,962 posts, read 16,707,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
I find it interesting that this same home on Zillow lists it in Yelm. There is about an hour drive between the two.
Good call out!

Zillow has it wrong -
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...61032100_zpid/

The Yelm address doesn't pull up in google maps at all.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:31 AM

85,930 posts, read 79,112,132 times
Quote:
You are right! It doesn't state manufactured but it sure looks like one.

I notice nobody is recommending the eastern part of the state, is that because it is colder?
Yes. It's because you said you didn't want snowy, you preferred rain to snow. Post #4 explained that.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. It's because you said you didn't want snowy, you preferred rain to snow. Post #4 explained that.
Yup just making sure! We don't mind some snow, but we'd prefer less accumulation than what we have in Denver.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:50 AM

21,171 posts, read 9,880,253 times
Quote:
You are right! It doesn't state manufactured but it sure looks like one.

I notice nobody is recommending the eastern part of the state, is that because it is colder?
Yes. And that tall, steep mountain range between Seattle and, say, Spokane, can make for a problematic trip to Seattle during the winter. Whether you fly or drive.

In fact, the climate in Spokane is much more like Denver's climate than like Seattle's.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes. And that tall, steep mountain range between Seattle and, say, Spokane, can make for a problematic trip to Seattle during the winter. Whether you fly or drive.

In fact, the climate in Spokane is much more like Denver's climate than like Seattle's.
Excellent point! OK that settles it.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:29 AM

6,158 posts, read 13,370,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

We also lived in CO and decided we didn't want as much snow. The winter snow/cold season is just too long with most lakes frozen, lawns, gardens and hiking trails are brown for too long into spring. Most trails in the Rockies are covered in snow until summer. By contrast, the west side of the Cascades is green year round with only small amounts of snow, if any, by comparison.

I will say that we have friends who live in Wenatchee where we visited this spring. And I find that part of the state very beautiful. Though it does get more snow than the west side, it also experiences spring earlier than CO. Here are a few photos from our trip there at the end of March, beginning of April.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 05-20-2020 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 11:30 AM

8,223 posts, read 4,878,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Good points about the flood maps. I really like the area's location with such close proximity to Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens. I couldn't help but wonder if its in the lava flow area of Mt. St. Helens' path being rather close. When we were vacationing on the Big Island folks were losing their homes who built right in the path of the volcano - Kilauea. One guy lost his entire retirement investment. It wiped out a beautiful section of coast as well that was famous for snorkeling. The ash and vog was so heavy it was hard to breath at times. America’s Most Hazardous Volcano Erupted

Fortunately, it looks like Toledo is above the main lava flow danger zone. After what we experienced on the Big Island, I would definitely avoid the main hazard zones. Though surprisingly, or maybe not, there are many homes close the base that I noticed last time I was up that way.

Mt. Adams volcanic mud flows down to Riffe Lake:

And my favorite volcano, the beautiful Mt. Rainier:

Derek

Notice that they're mapping lava and pyroclastic mud flows together.

Our volcano in the Cascades usually behave very differently than Hawaiian volcanos. Mud flows - particularly down river drainages... Fast and sudden, are much more likely than lava flows like you get there.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:31 AM

8,223 posts, read 4,878,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane917 View Post
Quote:
Good call out!

Zillow has it wrong -
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...61032100_zpid/

The Yelm address doesn't pull up in google maps at all.

Yes, it's no where near Yelm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or