U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
26,897 posts, read 44,967,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
..We'll def be flying to the PNW area throughout the upcoming years in order to put some legs under the airplane. San Juan Islands on the West side of the Cascades is definitively on the list for my wife (she loves the Pacific Evergreen maritime scenery, and is a bit of an Orca/whale/marine life fanatic), as are many of the water-proximate airfields along the Sound. Friday Harbor has been recommended to us a few times as a fly-in destination for a day trip.

That's another reason Ellensburg's airport and its affiliation with CWU aviation program is very appealing to us as potential retirement spot. And again I haven't ruled out working for the university if I decide not to pursue airline work in mil retirement. ... ID and OR destinations will be on the flying roster.

Thanks again!
OK... DW might enjoy a gig here! (A friend does 'skipper / charter for UW Marine center near FH) He lives FT near FH and fishes AK in summer for 6 weeks. They have a very nice and affordable home with a great view! (and within PNW rain shadow)
https://marinebiology.uw.edu/field-s...-laboratories/

Another option for a great gig (in the rain shadow) is https://marine.pnnl.gov/
Maybe they need a corp pilot to run back and forth to their Richland, WA facility!

Ellensburg's airport and its affiliation with CWU aviation program This too is a very good option, I have taken some classes at CWU and SIL was there for final 2yrs. There are some mtns nearby that a friend keeps a USFS cabin / hunting lodge. 99yr lease I think. (another friend has 99 yr lease on a cabin near Cle Elum Lake)

Ellensburg (or Sandpoint) would be excellent access to BC and Alberta adventures. Nearby Okanogan (USA and Canada) is pristine. Not sure how the cross border flying regs are, but I know my friend near Spokane got checked often by US border agents. Maybe you could fly up here for volunteer camp. It is really quite the 'rich' / meaningful experience. https://www.okanagangleaners.com/aboutus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Municipal_Airport

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-19-2020 at 10:05 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 12:32 AM

13 posts, read 15,426 times
Default Thank you all for the feedback and discussion

First, let me apologize for the MIA. I didn't get any email notifications and believed the thread to be dead. Sorry!

Next, I've just read about 8 pages of this thread. The information and perspectives are great. Unfortunately, it also makes decisions that much harder. I didn't want to get into a great amount of detail about what bugs me about Texas, but at this point, I think I owe it to everyone.

1. Weather:
I've been to WA twice now. Once in January, and once in August. I agree that the gloom is....hard. However, Texas heat and humidity is downright oppressive. You know that depression everyone talks about in W. WA? I feel that way in this damn heat. It's past midnight right now, with 55% humidity and 89F. I can't handle this. Add the bugs and mosquito bites, and it's even worse. We're an outdoor loving family, and I truly mean no offense, but Texas is fugly. The "activities" in DFW consist of eating, sports, and clubbing. I only do 1 of those things.

2. Politics and people:

Not going to elaborate her, but there are 4 states where COVID is surging to dangerous levels, want to take a shot at guessing which way they lean?I can handle difference of opinion all day long, can't handle willful ignorance. Oh look, my HOA sent an email announcing a July 4th community pool party...WTH????

People like to say Texans are nice. For the most part they are. Unless red isn't your color and the cross ain't your religion. I've lived in a lot of different places, and the Costco in West Plano, one of the most "affluent" areas in DFW is the ONLY place where my wife was physically attacked for wearing a Hilary shirt, by a 50+ year-old bible thumping Trump supporter yelling how this is "Jesus' country". The irony of the fact that my wife was born in Jerusalem was lost on him. Oops, I guess I did elaborate. Bottom line is, shi*** people are shi***. And yes, I know I'm generalizing, but that's been my experience. A liberal never threatened to harm anyone in my family for the way we vote or the t-shirts we wear. Oakland police sure as hell never said my "NWA" t-shirt was "provocative" and instigated the altercation.

3. Taxes:
My 319K (assessed and homesteaded value) home is taxed $6700 annually. It's only this "low" because I fight the assessor, via lawyer, EVERY DAMN YEAR. This point is moot to me.

4. IT jobs:
I agree that remote work is going to become much more prevalent in the days to come. For now, I've been approved to WFH and move anywhere with decent internet connection. Having said that, $135K isn't going to get me the standard of living my family is used to. For reference, I'm a Cybersecurity consultant with networking and cloud experience.

The real knife in the gut that's killing this ordeal for me is schools. I'll give up the waterfront, for a decent view. I'll give up the commute for remote work. The one I can't give up on is a decent school district. And even cleaning myself out, I can afford up-to $700K. That number still doesn't get my what I want. So I guess WA will only ever remain a dream. It breaks my heart saying that, and I truly can't understand how people are making it even earning$200k or $250k a year, but idk. Once COVID calms down a bit I will visit and check out some the mentioned areas. That will also give me the time to assess the feasibility of obtaining other telecommute jobs if my current job gets cut or if I can get a salary boost.

Anyway, I'm ranting now. Thanks y'all .

Last edited by aldok; 07-05-2020 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: spelling and clarification.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:39 AM

1,866 posts, read 562,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldok View Post
1. Weather:
I've been to WA twice now. Once in January, and once in August. I agree that the gloom is....hard. However, Texas heat and humidity is downright oppressive. You know that depression everyone talks about in W. WA? I feel that way in this damn heat. It's past midnight right now, with 55% humidity and 89F. I can't handle this. Add the bugs and mosquito bites, and it's even worse. We're an outdoor loving family, and I truly mean no offense, but Texas is fugly. The "activities" in DFW consist of eating, sports, and clubbing. I only do 1 of those things.
I'll take a PNW doom-and-gloom winter over a summer like that any day.

Quote:
... People like to say Texans are nice. For the most part they are. Unless red isn't your color and the cross ain't your religion. ...
Yeah, I've heard it can be like that there.

Quote:
The real knife in the gut that's killing this ordeal for me is schools. I'll give up the waterfront, for a decent view. I'll give up the commute for remote work. The one I can't give up on is a decent school district. And even cleaning myself out, I can afford up-to $700K. That number still doesn't get my what I want. So I guess WA will only ever remain a dream. It breaks my heart saying that, and I truly can't understand how people are making it even earning$200k or $250k a year, but idk. Once COVID calms down a bit I will visit and check out some the mentioned areas. That will also give me the time to assess the feasibility of obtaining other telecommute jobs if my current job gets cut or if I can get a salary boost.
There are a LOT of renters here because housing prices are so high. You've got a good housing budget. Since you can telecommute you should be able to find decent housing near good schools. That is, unless the fact that you get less house for your money here is holding you back.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:28 PM

736 posts, read 1,990,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post

There are a LOT of renters here because housing prices are so high. You've got a good housing budget. Since you can telecommute you should be able to find decent housing near good schools. That is, unless the fact that you get less house for your money here is holding you back.
Yeah, it's a good idea to rent first anyway and check out the area. You could get a house in a decent school district for 700k. If you want a nice territorial view for that price, you'd have to compromise on location and type of house but should be able find something since you can choose from anywhere in the state due to telecommuting. Housing is so expensive that it involves a compromise for most people coming from less expensive areas.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:40 PM

440 posts, read 139,181 times
Check out the "Cascadia Subduction Zone." You can find maps that show where on the waterfront the Tsunami will effect. Might want to stay well East of I-5. Like much of the pacific northwest, meth can be a problem around kids/teens. Keep vigilant and tell them the truth about it.

Last edited by oldcarguy49; 07-05-2020 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: add teens

Old 07-05-2020, 11:57 PM

1,866 posts, read 562,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
Check out the "Cascadia Subduction Zone." You can find maps that show where on the waterfront the Tsunami will effect. Might want to stay well East of I-5. Like much of the pacific northwest, meth can be a problem around kids/teens. Keep vigilant and tell them the truth about it.
No need to go east of I-5. There is no danger from tsunamis that far inland. You're safe from tsunamis pretty much everywhere in Washington, except if you live near the ocean or in parts of the Puget Sound near the ocean: https://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/...ation_maps.pdf

The thing people need to be aware of is the potential for earthquakes.

To avoid meth and other drugs you need to stay away from: Missouri, West Virginia, Michigan, District of Columbia, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Colorado, Arkansas, Nevada, and Indiana. Those are the top ten worst states/places for drugs. Washington is #25 on the list, so it's just average.

https://wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150/

Old 07-06-2020, 03:51 PM

440 posts, read 139,181 times
If you look carefully at the link provided above for drug use, you will find that the relevant list is the "drug use rank" and not the "overall" score. There you will find Washington State is actually worse than Missouri. #1 Vermont has the highest drug use. Oregon is #8 and Washington is #17, and Texas #47. Going from #47 Texas to #17 Washington would be a dramatic increase in drug use, especially meth. Note that the rankings do not differentiate which drugs are being used. Many of the high ranking states like West Virginia and Vermont and Mass. are getting hit hard by the opioid epidemic. In the Pacific Northwest is is still mostly the same old meth problem. Meth is #1 drug of choice in Oregon and Washington. On a positive note, the Pacific Northwest (California, too) have not been walloped nearly as hard by the opioid crisis.

Old 07-06-2020, 09:29 PM

13 posts, read 15,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
If you look carefully at the link provided above for drug use, you will find that the relevant list is the "drug use rank" and not the "overall" score. There you will find Washington State is actually worse than Missouri. #1 Vermont has the highest drug use. Oregon is #8 and Washington is #17, and Texas #47. Going from #47 Texas to #17 Washington would be a dramatic increase in drug use, especially meth. Note that the rankings do not differentiate which drugs are being used. Many of the high ranking states like West Virginia and Vermont and Mass. are getting hit hard by the opioid epidemic. In the Pacific Northwest is is still mostly the same old meth problem. Meth is #1 drug of choice in Oregon and Washington. On a positive note, the Pacific Northwest (California, too) have not been walloped nearly as hard by the opioid crisis.

Please help me understand this issue as it's not the first time I've heard it mentioned. I have two points of reference: CA, where drugs was almost literally on every corner, and even if you lived in the prestigious "hills" in 1M+ homes, you still had to drive through the ghetto to get there. Second place is Suburb of Dallas where sure, Dallas has drugs and many other issues, but I never see them because I live in a nice suburb where, if it does happen, it's rare and very low-key. Where would Camano islands fall on this spectrum? I've found some really nice homes there and from what I can see on google maps, the neighborhoods are very clean.

Thanks!

Old 07-07-2020, 12:25 PM

736 posts, read 1,990,181 times
Camano Island is generally safe, but has the usual Western WA property crime issues like stolen mail and theft (which you will find everywhere). Many retirees live there who keep up their yards and are involved in the community. It has very beautiful areas and in the past tended to attract retirees and remote workers, but now has more commuters as well. There are some homeless druggies living in the woods- but you will find this everywhere in Western WA and they are not very visible there.

Old 07-07-2020, 01:52 PM

1,819 posts, read 4,174,529 times
Quote:

2. Politics and people:

Not going to elaborate her, but there are 4 states where COVID is surging to dangerous levels, want to take a shot at guessing which way they lean?I can handle difference of opinion all day long, can't handle willful ignorance. Oh look, my HOA sent an email announcing a July 4th community pool party...WTH????

We're right there with ya. Our south and left quality in the political compass map is not welcome here in the suburbs of San Antonio. 7 more years to my retirement. Until then we're employment captive audience. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the hegemonic quality of the people here. It's not that they disagree, it's the social anti-intellectualism, and the vitriolic lashing out in public, such as the politicization of mask wearing, which in a million years we would have expected to be a source of potential verbal abuse onto my family. And I'm a uniformed member mind you, which is generally treated here as some sort of protected third rail samurai class that is coddled and catered to by the political collective. Just a hostile place for a green quadrant household like ours to live in. The only issue that makes WA impossible for us right now is my aging parents in PR and the geo-logistics at this juncture in our life. If I could port my income right now and have access to airline benefits, forget it, we'd be outta here right yesterday. 7 years. We're almost there.

Thanks again for starting the thread. As a fellow transactional TX resident, it has proven both aspirational and cathartic. Wife is very excited about the prospect of a change in the future. Good luck to you and your loved ones. Good luck to us all. And stay safe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington