Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:56 AM

22 posts, read 206,918 times

Advertisements

Hello all, let me first say that I am truly thankful for all of you that take the time to respond to this forum, your help so far has been priceless! You will be seeing a lot of postings from me up until this Fall/Winter, when hopefully my husband and I will be relocating to the Olympia area.

My question this round...how much does your average electricity bill run per month in Olympia/Lacey? I'm looking for someone who has all electric appliances, furnace, etc., no natural gas. We are looking at new construction homes in the 1100-1500 square foot range.

Also, how about the Olympia or Lacey city bill for water/sewer/garbage?

I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of income we are going to need to live there vs. here in MN.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM

103 posts, read 780,952 times
Heating alone will cost you $100-125 a month.Water $25,Sewer the same.Garbage with Recycling can $15.
I had my heat on for the past 8 months.We have a lot of damp weather here which makes it feel colder even do the temps are moderate.58 today and raining.I planted my tomatoes today in the rain without wearing a jacket.I got damp but not wet.That's the kind of rain we get here.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:12 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,733,964 times
You need a lot of money to live here. Whether good or bad, Western Washington has some of the highest costs of living anywhere.

We have a lot of taxes here, not sure compared to Minnesota. Sales tax is 9% and that applies to most everything, new or used. Yes, if you buy anything, including used things from Craigslist, you're required to pay sales tax. Not sure if that law is heavily complied with. But they do enforce it on anything that you license (boats, trailers, cars, etc). Property tax is generally considered high for the west, though a lot of easterns think its worse where they are. Real estate is taxed, and the government adds little fees onto to everything as well. It's just expensive. Again - not sure about Olympia, but that's how it is in King County.

The big thing that may or may not impact everyone is tolling on the roads. They want to significantly increase tolls, even perhaps make all of the roads toll roads. No one knows what the legislature will do.

Gas is $3.73 a gallon when I filled up yesterday.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:18 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times
I rejuvinated this thread because of a PSE bill just received...

Tenants vacated on February 29th and the electric is averaging $32 a day for a vacant home...

At this rate... could easily be $1000 a month...

I realize bills are going up...

What are some typical usage in KWh for the Olympia area for a 4 bedroom two story home?

Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM

850 posts, read 3,701,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Tenants vacated on February 29th and the electric is averaging $32 a day for a vacant home...

What are some typical usage in KWh for the Olympia area for a 4 bedroom two story home?
That is astronomically high...there's something wrong. Are the heaters running? I think I would be calling the utility company and asking questions.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:43 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,263 times
Quote:
I'm out here in Graham, and the electrical bills for my 2,700 sf home have been close to $250/month this winter ... NOT CHEAP!!!

Old 03-11-2012, 12:26 AM

I'm thinking something is off... I mean on.

Won't be able to verify till Monday...

The home does have two furnaces... one for upstairs and another one for downstairs that is a heat pump unit... it was done at the time for zone heating...

Two years ago last March I was their for 3 weeks and it was about $10 per day at 68...

Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 AM

850 posts, read 3,701,016 times
How many square feet is the house? Do you have double-paned windows and good insulation? I'm just curious because I'm flabbergasted by the operating cost of $1,000. Maybe other people pay that much. I guess I'm used to living in an apartment where I typically pay a maximum of about $70 for heating.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 PM

It's all electric and about 3800 square feet... well insulated and double pane windows... lots of them... one wall in the living room is glass.

Lots of my friends in Southern States have solar on the roof and no longer have electric bills... don't see much Solar around Olympia, or gas unless you are in town.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:44 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,911,263 times
Quote:
It's all electric and about 3800 square feet... well insulated and double pane windows... lots of them... one wall in the living room is glass.
Lots of my friends in Southern States have solar on the roof and no longer have electric bills... don't see much Solar around Olympia, or gas unless you are in town.
Just curious - is there a jacuzzi? Because that's what eats up a lot of electricity for me (after the heating, which is the biggest factor). And at what temp is the house being kept? (I know that there's a big difference in consumption between, say, 72º and 68º)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington