Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 04:35 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,937,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
This is true. The intentions of newcomers are not to "ruin the place" and everyone's ancestors came from somewhere- even Native Americans came to this continent from Asia tens of thousands of years ago, and I'm sure the large game they hunted to extinction wasn't happy about their arrival.

The old timers who are being swamped with the issues of a town growing too fast (they lose treasured family connections as people are forced to move away to afford to live, their children can't afford a house etc.) are in many cases having a crappy experience. They didn't want to change or choose it, it was forced on them. And so I think they are valid to speak up about their experience.
I agree, but only up to a point. I've told Rkcarguy and others dozens of times over the years that I totally sympathize with what they're going through in that regard. I've also been through the same thing in other places that I've lived. I don't expect old timers- or people who don't like Bellingham- to love or support my level of excitement as a relative newcomer (6+ years), but the attitude gets a little old. Discussion isn't a one-way street, and while I frequently agree with many of their comments and suggestions, I've been insulted numerous times or had my intentions questioned for simply liking Bellingham, presenting a different perspective, and countering obvious inaccuracies.

My complaint is more about the ongoing nature of the Bellingham curmudgeons and a couple longtime threads; this has been going on for well over a decade. It also involves several trolls who resurface under new usernames to attack Bellingham or anyone who says anything positive about it. They condemn Bellingham for just about everything they don't like about cities, society, or the Northwest in general. It's far more than just longtime residents reminiscing and providing interesting insight about the area. Sometimes it's about doing things like taking just about any mention of Bellingham and turning it into a political gripe session. Other times it's clearly about trying to scare people away from moving here (or even talking about Bellingham without being attacked) and saying ridiculous things, like Bellingham is more dangerous than LA or Newark (I kid you not). I don't see anything quite like it from any other cities on the WA forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 06:30 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,706,962 times
Yeah, there is that. I think internet forums get biased with those who post the most, and you get opinions sometimes that go beyond "this town's growth is ruining quality of life in these specific ways." So I agree with you that it gets over the top with hyperbole sometimes.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:00 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
I certainly have a number of my Seattle home buyers looking for homes right now to relocate to Bham. The ability to work remotely is a driver, it’s also a natural retirement place for Seattle people. I’ve heard this phrase more than a few times, “Bellingham reminds me of the groovy, offbeat place that Seattle used to be”.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:03 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
I certainly have a number of my Seattle home buyers looking for homes right now to relocate to Bham. The ability to work remotely is a driver, it’s also a natural retirement place for Seattle people. I’ve heard this phrase more than a few times, “Bellingham reminds me of the groovy, offbeat place that Seattle used to be”.
Bellingham will become the new Seattle. They will turn my hometown into what they left: poverty defense, equity not equality, homeless issues, etc. Actually, except for the first, we are there. A friend of ours was stabbed 37 times by a Texas transient: he was out for a walk and murdered.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:19 PM

104 posts, read 133,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Tad lacking in current recipients of the gravy they are enjoying from the sweat and sacrifice of previous generations.

Old 12-25-2020, 01:25 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Personally, I think we're in a real estate bubble, with massive tax cuts for the rich during the Bush II and Trump admins fueling rabid speculation, since the rich were already fully invested. So, it is basically "play money" that is driving this. Eventually, it will all come out in the laundry. And it will be a good thing, although it will cause a lot of pain...

If taxes are too high, it leads to economic stagnation; if they are too low, especially for the rich, it leads to a boom-and-bust, bubble-and-panic economy. It's about time to shear the sheep again...

Old 01-03-2021, 09:45 AM

131 posts, read 323,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
I assume the anti-Bellingham/Whatcom County threads and responses made on this forum, are made by people who hope it will prevent people from moving to Bellingham/Whatcom County. There are a lot of tree-hugger environmentalist types here who don't like the population increasing. However, for the most part, people in Bellingham/Whatcom County are very welcoming to newcomers.

Bellingham and the entire Whatcom County is a FANTASTIC place to live!! Maybe the best place in the entire USA!! Don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise.
You didn't exactly say why you think Bellingham is heaven-on-earth.

The negative feelings about Bellingham from old timers and natives stems from the state-wide changes in the last 10 years. Starting with, but not limited to: private liquor sales, pot sales, legal homosexual marriage, renaming King County to honor Rodney King...on and on and on.

Uber-liberal King County dictates what the rest of the state does because it has the most population. Simple as that. Conservatives do not have a say here. Period.

I've watched Bellingham go from a sleepy White ghetto to a city like Everett in 10 years. Personally, I'm not tied here beyond some real estate and a rather large extended family. If a better opportunity came up, I'd be outta here so freakin' fast a NY minute would look like slo-mo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
What if they lost their jobs working remotely? There aren't any jobs in Bellingham for them.

They led Seattle into the pits and they want to do the same to Bellingham. Got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Personally, I think we're in a real estate bubble, with massive tax cuts for the rich during the Bush II and Trump admins fueling rabid speculation, since the rich were already fully invested. So, it is basically "play money" that is driving this. Eventually, it will all come out in the laundry. And it will be a good thing, although it will cause a lot of pain...

If taxes are too high, it leads to economic stagnation; if they are too low, especially for the rich, it leads to a boom-and-bust, bubble-and-panic economy. It's about time to shear the sheep again...
Thing is about most real estate is that it always goes up. Some takes longer than others, but it all goes up.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:19 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
You didn't exactly say why you think Bellingham is heaven-on-earth.

The negative feelings about Bellingham from old timers and natives stems from the state-wide changes in the last 10 years. Starting with, but not limited to: private liquor sales, pot sales, legal homosexual marriage, renaming King County to honor Rodney King...on and on and on.
What does King County have to do with Bellingham? Nothing. And btw, it's (now) named after ML King, not Rodney King. If you're going to introduce irrelevant facts and rant about it, at least get the facts straight. Why would B'ham residents care who some other county is named after, anyway? Sounds like some old-timer B'ham residents are looking for axes to grind. And btw, I know quite a few od-timer residents, who have no problem with the things you mention. You don't represent all lifelong residents.

Old 01-09-2021, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 8,278 times
I live in Seattle and hope to retire in Bham in the next five years or so. Not right now. The housing prices are crazy. I did grow up there, went to Western. I go up there a lot so have watched the development with mixed feelings. Agree there is no economy to speak of. But industry would bring massive development and then, bang!, you are in Everett. The whole point to Bham is the vibe, laid back, slightly depressing, with lots of cool bike trails, bay views and farmers markets, right?

Agree that moving to Bham and working remote is dodgy. What happens if you lose your job. I think I would want a Plan B or two before leaving the Seattle area for Bham before retirement. I hope I make it back as soon as I can. And like it. I have this kind of fear it would seem boring after a big city, living in Seattle so long. I am also looking further afield, Southeast, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina. I actually joined this forum to get info on Athens and Savannah, then got sidetracked by all the great Bham conversations. Hilarious.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:08 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire17 View Post
I live in Seattle and hope to retire in Bham in the next five years or so. Not right now. The housing prices are crazy. I did grow up there, went to Western. I go up there a lot so have watched the development with mixed feelings. Agree there is no economy to speak of. But industry would bring massive development and then, bang!, you are in Everett. The whole point to Bham is the vibe, laid back, slightly depressing, with lots of cool bike trails, bay views and farmers markets, right?

Agree that moving to Bham and working remote is dodgy. What happens if you lose your job. I think I would want a Plan B or two before leaving the Seattle area for Bham before retirement. I hope I make it back as soon as I can. And like it. I have this kind of fear it would seem boring after a big city, living in Seattle so long. I am also looking further afield, Southeast, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina. I actually joined this forum to get info on Athens and Savannah, then got sidetracked by all the great Bham conversations. Hilarious.
Well, it seems like someone who appreciates B'ham should live in B'ham. Are you sure you want to move to the Southeast? You might hate it. Humidity, heat, ugh! And those states you mention aren't exactly known for liberal people who appreciate multiculturalism.

But...suit yourself. I'd rather live where I don't have to hide out indoors all summer, with the A/C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington