Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 09:14 AM

646 posts, read 1,155,814 times

Advertisements

I'd like organic restaurants. I haven't been able to find any in our area (eastern Washington state). If only ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 10:45 AM

726 posts, read 1,365,294 times
The winters in Florida ARE nice, the very reason there are so many snowbirds in Florida. The rest of the year I'd downvote it for permanent living. Now, there are people who actually enjoy extended extreme heat, 100% humidity, and for some reason don't get eaten alive by bugs, some of which are tiny gnat sized so you can't even see them when they bite you repeatedly and relentlessly, but most people find the experience in the summer (4-6 months at least) icky sticky yuck. I'd say you have to live there a year to really know what it's like because there can be a day or two that seems reasonable, even in the summer and heat, humidity, and bugs wears you down over time. The manatees are nice though, as are the diversity of birds to be seen there. Sunsets can be amazing. Thunderstorms can be beautiful too, especially when the lightning fills those surreal electric skies. Bioluminescence on the beach at night, especially appearing in your own footprints as you walk, is an eerie delight that you'll find yourself talking about forever. So, maybe a nice vacation get away place would be great.... but to live there year round year after year, especially with the constant rise in average temp and higher threat of extreme hurricanes, would be difficult in my book.

Old 08-07-2021, 01:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 704,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I gave up on the people part about 2 years after moving here. Now I just want a decent cheeseburger.
true

Old 08-10-2021, 02:22 PM

444 posts, read 581,562 times
A more conservative point of view to establish EQUITABILITY and an acceptance for people on the right who are not like you.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:13 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,124,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freepelican View Post
The winters in Florida ARE nice, the very reason there are so many snowbirds in Florida. The rest of the year I'd downvote it for permanent living. Now, there are people who actually enjoy extended extreme heat, 100% humidity, and for some reason don't get eaten alive by bugs, some of which are tiny gnat sized so you can't even see them when they bite you repeatedly and relentlessly, but most people find the experience in the summer (4-6 months at least) icky sticky yuck. I'd say you have to live there a year to really know what it's like because there can be a day or two that seems reasonable, even in the summer and heat, humidity, and bugs wears you down over time. The manatees are nice though, as are the diversity of birds to be seen there. Sunsets can be amazing. Thunderstorms can be beautiful too, especially when the lightning fills those surreal electric skies. Bioluminescence on the beach at night, especially appearing in your own footprints as you walk, is an eerie delight that you'll find yourself talking about forever. So, maybe a nice vacation get away place would be great.... but to live there year round year after year, especially with the constant rise in average temp and higher threat of extreme hurricanes, would be difficult in my book.
Bugs, heat and humidity aren’t fun, but I’ve been happily taking vacations in Florida since grade school. The Caribbean has a similar climate, and tons of happy vacations there too.

No state has a perfect climate. Washington has eight or nine months of rain and gloom, then the state dries up. Almost zero rain for three or four months. This is an extreme climate, and I’m tired of seeing the yard and pasture dry up and turn brown during very hot summers with no rain to cool things off or keep the grass green. Florida has its rain spread over the course of the year and things stay green. Both states have unpleasant hot summers, but it’s a trade off, Florida bugs and humidity or Washington no rain and smoke filled air.

Washington has Florida beat in terms of natural beauty, but I’d rather see my horses eating green grass in July and August and have a rainstorm water my lawn and garden. The average temps are rising here too, along with bad air quality. Summers aren’t as nice as they used to be. If you believed every news article on every Hurricane, Florida would be flattened a dozen times over. There is damage, but houses remain standing, year after year

Phoenix has the worst summers of any state, so anything is an improvement.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:03 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,116,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Bugs, heat and humidity aren’t fun, but I’ve been happily taking vacations in Florida since grade school. The Caribbean has a similar climate, and tons of happy vacations there too.

No state has a perfect climate. Washington has eight or nine months of rain and gloom, then the state dries up. Almost zero rain for three or four months. This is an extreme climate, and I’m tired of seeing the yard and pasture dry up and turn brown during very hot summers with no rain to cool things off or keep the grass green. Florida has its rain spread over the course of the year and things stay green. Both states have unpleasant hot summers, but it’s a trade off, Florida bugs and humidity or Washington no rain and smoke filled air.

Washington has Florida beat in terms of natural beauty, but I’d rather see my horses eating green grass in July and August and have a rainstorm water my lawn and garden. The average temps are rising here too, along with bad air quality. Summers aren’t as nice as they used to be. If you believed every news article on every Hurricane, Florida would be flattened a dozen times over. There is damage, but houses remain standing, year after year

Phoenix has the worst summers of any state, so anything is an improvement.
If you think Western WA has an extreme climate, then you will get disappointed because it actually has a super mild climate compared to most other places in the US.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If you think Western WA has an extreme climate, then you will get disappointed because it actually has a super mild climate compared to most other places in the US.
I can see why you think that. Four seasons here are very nice, and a huge improvement over Phoenix. Still, months of gloomy rain, followed by months of desert dry heat and bad air, is extreme and unpleasant. I like a moderate climate, and asthma forced me inside the last couple of summers, due to the smoke. Washington winters are mild, but not everyone likes constant drizzle, my spouse hates it. His complaints along with dry pasture for the horses and my asthma have forced me to start checking other places. Nothing against Washington, it’s a great place to live in a lot of ways, just not for everyone.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I can see why you think that. Four seasons here are very nice, and a huge improvement over Phoenix. Still, months of gloomy rain, followed by months of desert dry heat and bad air, is extreme and unpleasant. I like a moderate climate, and asthma forced me inside the last couple of summers, due to the smoke. Washington winters are mild, but not everyone likes constant drizzle, my spouse hates it. His complaints along with dry pasture for the horses and my asthma have forced me to start checking other places. Nothing against Washington, it’s a great place to live in a lot of ways, just not for everyone.
There has not been ANY smoke (bad air quality) yet this summer.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
There has not been ANY smoke (bad air quality) yet this summer.
There are a lot of fires going on, like the Dixie fire and a number of fires in Washington. I’m dreading when the smoke hits and it will. The air has been decent this summer, the scorching hot days spoiled it.

The narrative is that Washington has rain for months, but summers are the best anywhere. I don’t see this anymore, although the first summer up here was incredible.

Old 08-11-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
There are a lot of fires going on, like the Dixie fire and a number of fires in Washington. I’m dreading when the smoke hits and it will. The air has been decent this summer, the scorching hot days spoiled it.

The narrative is that Washington has rain for months, but summers are the best anywhere. I don’t see this anymore, although the first summer up here was incredible.
well the rain for months is not true either. Outside of Nov-Jan, there are many decent days the rest of spring and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington