U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2021, 04:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,802 times

Advertisements

My family (wife + 1 toddler) are considering relocating from the Bay area (been there for 3 years, originally from Toronto, Canada) to the Seattle area and trying to figure out which areas to explore more in depth when we come up to do some scouting. My employer (major tech company) is allowing remote work, so we have some flexibility in terms of region, but want to stay within King, Pierce, or Snohomish county. Things that are really important to us:

- Access to outdoor activities. We love road/mtn biking, day-hikes, kayaking/canoeing, camping, and back home in Canada we used to do cross country skiing (not so much downhill). Would really love to live close to the water.
- Decent schools. Our little one won't be going to school for a few years, so we'd be looking out for better elementary schools mostly.
- Lower crime and community vibes. Don't want to stress about friends parking their cars on the street and having windows smashed. We like more small-towny festivals and meeting our neighbors.

Nice-to-haves is access to the city within 45min-1hr on a weekend (we don't do a ton of exciting city things anymore, but nice to visit for events or museums) and close to the airport for relatives coming to visit and trips back to Canada.

We're looking to buy a house, upper range of 1-1.2mil or so.

From research I've done, I was kind of zooming in on the Tacoma region. Its closer to the Olympic Peninsula, Ranier, and the coast, and has its own downtown thing going on. Main detractor I've seen is crime is hit or miss, and same with schools. Any other things to watch out of there? If I went to a part-time remote thing with work, is going into an office 1-2x a week reasonable from there in Seattle?

More Northwards been looking at Everett or shoreline, which seems a bit farther from some of the national parks but does have the benefit of being closer to the Canadian border for visits to Vancouver (we don't have family there, but a few friends). Also is closer to the Cascades national parks, but from what I've read it seems like those are best for more long, backpacking excursions, which is tougher with a toddler in tow. Other areas I've briefly looked at are West Seattle and Issaquah.

I'm sure this gets asked a bunch of times, but would love any recommendations based on the criteria mentioned. We'd hoping to visit in spring to do some touring of areas, so wanting to narrow down our search before we plan that trip.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 05:18 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,345,112 times
You should look into Edmonds. On the water, has festivals, parks, a ferry over to Kingston so you can access the Olympic Penninsula. Decent schools.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:49 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,985,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevietat View Post
My family (wife + 1 toddler) are considering relocating from the Bay area (been there for 3 years, originally from Toronto, Canada) to the Seattle area and trying to figure out which areas to explore more in depth when we come up to do some scouting. My employer (major tech company) is allowing remote work, so we have some flexibility in terms of region, but want to stay within King, Pierce, or Snohomish county. Things that are really important to us:

- Access to outdoor activities. We love road/mtn biking, day-hikes, kayaking/canoeing, camping, and back home in Canada we used to do cross country skiing (not so much downhill). Would really love to live close to the water.
- Decent schools. Our little one won't be going to school for a few years, so we'd be looking out for better elementary schools mostly.
- Lower crime and community vibes. Don't want to stress about friends parking their cars on the street and having windows smashed. We like more small-towny festivals and meeting our neighbors.

Nice-to-haves is access to the city within 45min-1hr on a weekend (we don't do a ton of exciting city things anymore, but nice to visit for events or museums) and close to the airport for relatives coming to visit and trips back to Canada.

From research I've done, I was kind of zooming in on the Tacoma region. Its closer to the Olympic Peninsula, Ranier, and the coast, and has its own downtown thing going on. Main detractor I've seen is crime is hit or miss, and same with schools. Any other things to watch out of there? If I went to a part-time remote thing with work, is going into an office 1-2x a week reasonable from there in Seattle?

More Northwards been looking at Everett or shoreline, which seems a bit farther from some of the national parks but does have the benefit of being closer to the Canadian border for visits to Vancouver (we don't have family there, but a few friends). Also is closer to the Cascades national parks, but from what I've read it seems like those are best for more long, backpacking excursions, which is tougher with a toddler in tow. Other areas I've briefly looked at are West Seattle and Issaquah.

I'm sure this gets asked a bunch of times, but would love any recommendations based on the criteria mentioned. We'd hoping to visit in spring to do some touring of areas, so wanting to narrow down our search before we plan that trip.
I lived in Everett back in 1998-2000, and visited in 2017.Visit the area, I like the area. Also check Lynnwood, to the South of Everett and Marysville to the North of Everett. The drawback is the traffic if you have to go and come home from Seattle. But you did say you would be working from Home. So that might not be a game changer.
Good luck in your Search.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:47 PM

18 posts, read 22,439 times
You'll like the Tacoma region. I live in the greater Tacoma area. It's about 45-60 minutes for a hike just depending on what you want. For snow, probably an hour and half to Snoqualmie Pass. There is a couple private schools in Tacoma that you could do (Annie Wright, Bellarmine Prep etc). Stadium also is a good public high school and look's like a castle. You could live in Ruston and have a nice house with a waterfront view and a really nice area. If you prefer more land, I would look into Graham. You could get a really nice house and some acreage. However, the farther south you travel, the worse commute it get's. I would stay in Ruston or check out Gig Harbor.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:57 PM

70 posts, read 62,766 times
Hi Stevietat - you might want to look into North Bend, Fall City, Preston, Duvall and Carnation. All are east of Seattle/Bellevue but easy to get into the city. Beautiful scenery and easy access to all the outdoor activities you mentioned!

Old 03-09-2021, 10:13 PM

46 posts, read 37,180 times
My aunt lives in Gig Harbor, after selling a house in Bonnie Lake. She likes both areas.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:32 PM

669 posts, read 414,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_crossen View Post
You'll like the Tacoma region. I would stay in Ruston or check out Gig Harbor.

Be careful in the Tacoma area. For decades, a really dirty smelter spewed out arsenic and other deadly chemicals, without a filter.

https://apps.ecology.wa.gov/dirtaler...500000&zoom=11

Old 04-09-2021, 08:55 PM

7,883 posts, read 7,262,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevietat View Post

Hi Stevie,

The Northwest Neighborhood (especially Grand Ave, Rucker Ave, Hoyt Ave) and Rucker Hill are nice neighborhoods in Everett filled with historic and view homes. The North End of Tacoma has a similar vibe. Schools can be hit or miss in both of those areas. Edmonds Bowl is lovely, good schools, but prices vaulting up above your price range.

Snoqualmie/North Bend might be worth a look, great proximity to the mountains.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 04-09-2021 at 09:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington