Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 11:58 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
Shi Shi and Second Beaches have been closed for months due to COVID precautions. I LOVE the WA coast, but I'm surprised at how inaccessible it is.
Speaking generally (pre- and post-Covid). Rialto Beach, Third Beach, and Lake Ozette are open. The remoteness and weather helps to preserve the "wilderness" experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2022, 08:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
One point that I failed to make about the WA coast is when a cold spell hits the Puget Sound area (Seattle), the coast will remain moderate for the most part due to ocean temperatures. I am sure there are exceptions to this in extreme cold spells, but the coast temp is usually about the same year ‘round.

Old 01-28-2022, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
One point that I failed to make about the WA coast is when a cold spell hits the Puget Sound area (Seattle), the coast will remain moderate for the most part due to ocean temperatures. I am sure there are exceptions to this in extreme cold spells, but the coast temp is usually about the same year ‘round.
It is not colder than the Puget Sound Basin, but it is a lot wetter. Temps are moderated, a little warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer. It can also be windier, adding a wind-chill factor, with gales and winter storms coming in directly off the ocean, unshielded by the Olympics, for instance.

With global warming, the tourist season is getting longer, which should help the local economy. When I grew up there in the 1950s, the economy was based on logs, fish, clams, cranberries, and whores, in no certain order. Once they closed down the brothels and ran Nellie Curtis out of town, it's been downhill ever since.

The remote working trend looks to be throwing a life-saver its way, however, in that it is drawing new money into town, just like Nellie's whores used to do...

https://www.sandrawagnerwright.com/n...he-honest-cop/

Old 01-28-2022, 10:03 PM

Very interesting. There seem to be some secrets in this area. But if one likes a moderate climate that doesn’t change much then Aberdeen /Hoqium/Ocean Shores is pretty perfect. 52 to 64 degrees tends to be year round, with the occasional rare 70 plus day!

Last edited by pnwguy2; 01-28-2022 at 10:18 PM..

Old 01-29-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Very interesting. There seem to be some secrets in this area. But if one likes a moderate climate that doesn’t change much then Aberdeen /Hoqium/Ocean Shores is pretty perfect. 52 to 64 degrees tends to be year round, with the occasional rare 70 plus day!
I don't know where you're getting the "52 to 64 degrees" year round temp-range - just not true. Right now it is 34F, 8mph wind, and 85% humidity in Aberdeen, compared to Seattle right now at 34F, no wind, and 75% humidity.

According to City-Data, Aberdeen average temps = 41-61F, highs = 46-70F, and lows = 36-54F. Full avg. temp range (low to high) = 36-70F. Daily temps can be considerably lower and higher.

Old 01-29-2022, 11:19 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Yeah I would think Aberdeen, or anywhere at the ocean is actually a great place to be if you really like to watch weather, where the weather is changing all the time.

It is true that the ocean is a big temperature moderator, like any big body of water that doesn't change much in temperature, but water temp and averages don't often tell the whole story.

Old 01-29-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I don't know where you're getting the "52 to 64 degrees" year round temp-range - just not true. Right now it is 34F, 8mph wind, and 85% humidity in Aberdeen, compared to Seattle right now at 34F, no wind, and 75% humidity.

According to City-Data, Aberdeen average temps = 41-61F, highs = 46-70F, and lows = 36-54F. Full avg. temp range (low to high) = 36-70F. Daily temps can be considerably lower and higher.
I should have been clearer. I was referring to Ocean Shores which tends to have more moderate temperatures.

Old 01-29-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I should have been clearer. I was referring to Ocean Shores which tends to have more moderate temperatures.
High, average, low, or low-to-high temps?

Temps in Ocean Shores, Westport, and Aberdeen are not appreciably different. They might be somewhat warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter, due to being on the ocean, but not close to 52-64F.

Old 01-29-2022, 04:16 PM

There are only two months in Ocean Shores where the average High is below 50, December and January. My original post on this topic was off by a bit but generally close to the truth. Nit pick if you must.

Old 01-29-2022, 04:32 PM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I do think you're right that the ocean tends to moderate temperature swings. My quibble with your post is any implication that moderate temperatures mean the weather is "the same" year round. I think you better like watching always-changing weather if you live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington