Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 03:27 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,085 times

Advertisements

Part of what your saying is correct in the way the home schooling does help, private smaller schools is a bit better. I do know that a false sense of security about where you send you kid to school and what neighborhood you live in can be detrimental. Its all over the place. I know first hand of a couple very upscale schools that have big drug usage. The real difference? They cover the probelms up better. The focus is on the ones who are the shining stars right then and the ones who are not and/or have issues get left behind. The schools you expect to have those problems at the very least, have seemed to meet the problem head on, are down to earth and vocal about what the kids have to deal with.
On the same token I dont know that I would send my daughter back to that school district now that she is older, as much as I liked the school. So who knows. Its very frustrating. I would think with the tightning of buying psuedoph. in large amounts is what is making things go across the border, but i am so glad the law was passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 07:08 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellotherehello View Post
Less methamphetamine is obtained from "home cooked" labs and more an more is obtained through Mexican drug sources-also Canada had discovered large sophisticated drug labs-not amateurs at all-since it is a money producer the big cats get involved so home cooked will be less and less of a source for this destructive drug. If an area is high crime you can infer there is drug activity and possibly gang activity. So dont panic just avoid the high crime areas as much as possible.
You're entirely right.

If people are interested in this issue, they might take a look at the DEA portion of the Dept of Justice's website. The forensic chemists have a monthly publication called Microgram.

They're starting to see meth bricks made in the same molds that they've seen cocaine bricks made in for years. The drug cartels find meth a lot more profitable - they cook it up from stuff they buy more or less legally from China, out in the desert. Then, over the border it comes. As opposed to cocaine, which has to be brought all the way from South America.

Sad to say, this is a problem people are going to see get worse before it gets better.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 7,717 times
Try looking around Central Washington for clean cities. The Yakima area isnt too bad and north of it is a little city called Selah (see-lah) thats actually really clean.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:40 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,222,242 times
This PDF file lists actual addresses of known "clandestine laboratory" (read: meth lab) sites in Washington (nine pages worth):

http://www.justice.gov/dea/seizures/wa.pdf (broken link)

And here's the state index page:

DEA, National Clandestine Laboratory Register (http://www.justice.gov/dea/seizures/index.html - broken link)

Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:07 AM

82 posts, read 324,948 times
From what I know of from family and friends living there, I'd stay away from Yakima, high-meth use, drugs, gangs and crime in general are high. There are ok pockets but I would never move back and I lived in safe spots. Plus poor police protection and response there; you can do research with law enforcement people about Yakima as a drug hub for the Northwest. You can PM if you want to hear horror stories. I live in Tri-Cities, and there are meth headlines here too, but not a problem that has affected me, other than being cautious about employees you hire. Pretty quiet, safe, and family-oriented community. Crimes that hit the news here that are bad usually have to do with clinically crazy people rather than drug addicts or gang bangers.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:57 AM

698 posts, read 1,508,906 times
Meth exists and its users are annoying but crazy drug addicts are to be found in any corners of the U.S. and the entire world.

Don't let a few addicts stop you from living in an area. The chances of you dying in a car crash are greater then getting murdered or robbed by some meth head. Just recognize the problem exist and always be prepared.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:12 PM

44 posts, read 121,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smtwn View Post
Try looking around Central Washington for clean cities. The Yakima area isnt too bad and north of it is a little city called Selah (see-lah) thats actually really clean.
I definitley disagree. There is a high rates in Yakima to be aware of; drugs, gangs, assault, murder and STD's. Selah is a small town, one main ave. Most people who live there come to Yakima for entertainment/shopping etc... and thus have to deal with above said highrates.
2 people I went to school with have been shot and killed. Alot of car theft (especially if you drive an import car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourrousehouse View Post
From what I know of from family and friends living there, I'd stay away from Yakima, high-meth use, drugs, gangs and crime in general are high. There are ok pockets but I would never move back and I lived in safe spots. Plus poor police protection and response there; you can do research with law enforcement people about Yakima as a drug hub for the Northwest.
I agree with you there. I know someone who works with law enforcement and it's all getting worst.
It's a nice place to come for the weekend if you like Wine Tasting, and cheap apples. Don't get stuck here. I'm moving as soon as I get my AA.

Last edited by JMB1990; 02-21-2010 at 12:21 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM

35 posts, read 94,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
This PDF file lists actual addresses of known "clandestine laboratory" (read: meth lab) sites in Washington (nine pages worth):

http://www.justice.gov/dea/seizures/wa.pdf (broken link)

And here's the state index page:

DEA, National Clandestine Laboratory Register (http://www.justice.gov/dea/seizures/index.html - broken link)

Hope this helps.
I noticed there are only six addresses on the list with dates in 2009. Do you know how current the DEA info is? or maybe rather than being out of date this reflects a change from homemade to imported meth.

Do you know whether meth and other drugs are a big problem in the Aberdeen/Hoquiam/Cosmopolis area? I am thinking of retiring there in a few years.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:01 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post

Do you know whether meth and other drugs are a big problem in the Aberdeen/Hoquiam/Cosmopolis area? I am thinking of retiring there in a few years.
The bigger problem with those cities are the depressed economies, rather than the drugs. However, in rural areas, you can expect there be meth labs. Its not overrun with meth-heads.

If you're worried about meth-heads, Yakima and portions of "Spo-caine" is definitely not the place to go.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,824,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Do you know whether meth and other drugs are a big problem in the Aberdeen/Hoquiam/Cosmopolis area?
Drugs are a problem for those addicted to them.
Or for those who are robbed by those addicted to them.

Since most of us don’t fall into either of those categories, drugs are not a problem, regardless of where we live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington