U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 07:56 PM

7,943 posts, read 7,475,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
A good friend that we knew from Castro Valley CA moved to Bellingham after we moved here to Sammamish. The bought a brand new beautiful house on Lake Whatcom but stayed only 2 years, then moved back to California, this time to Brentwood. They just couldn't adjust to the cloudiness and rain, which is actually less than we get here.
Sounds like they bought at Sudden Valley, which is dark and dank in winter, due to being on the lee (east) side of a ridge, cutting off the low winter sun in mid-afternoon. They probably would have been much happier if buying in Fairhaven or Sehome, facing west, but they wouldn't have found the "bargains" that are always cropping up in Sudden Valley.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2021, 03:24 PM

149 posts, read 78,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
A good friend that we knew from Castro Valley CA moved to Bellingham after we moved here to Sammamish. The bought a brand new beautiful house on Lake Whatcom but stayed only 2 years, then moved back to California, this time to Brentwood. They just couldn't adjust to the cloudiness and rain, which is actually less than we get here.
This is discouraging; we currently live in Castro Valley!!

Ugh, Brentwood. Barf! We looked there before moving to CV. It's undergoing a lot of development, but it's like this eerie little oasis in the middle of a desert. Kinda creepy and unnatural seeming. I'd never live anywhere east of Livermore in the bay area (and even Livermore is pushing it).

Old 11-11-2021, 04:03 PM

4,200 posts, read 1,920,520 times
Barf?
Too funny but so true.
My kid won’t even consider living there.

Castro Valley has good weather.
It really does.
Lots of places up here do as well.

Being that you know the Bay Area you will understand the microclimates up here.
I can see 3 different microclimates from my back yard up here and know of a strong half dozen within 25 miles of here.

I can advise you of the local micro areas here but that’s about it.
Im sure others can advise closer to where you are interested in.

Just don’t move to our version of Brentwood and you’ll do ok .

Old 11-11-2021, 08:32 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,152,092 times
cnote99, I've been looking at the Washington weather pics being currently posted & wondering if SW Washington wouldn't be a better choice. It's been sunny there. It sure hasn't been sunny further north.

Last winter, I drove from Camas to my place. Camas was bright blue cloud-free skies. About halfway to my place, it started raining. I had been gone for about a week, neighbor told me that it had been continuously gray & rainy where I live.

MechAndy is right about microclimates. When I was working, I passed through at least 6 microclimates on my 20 miles commute. It was really dramatic in winter. But, like he said, I'm only familiar with my neck of the woods. Spouse commuted even further for awhile, over Hood Canal...even more microclimates. That was a bad idea.

Coincidence, my kid & spouse had looked at new builds in Brentwood before moving to Colorado. I know nothing about Brentwood, but they had the same reaction as you.

One more thing...before we moved here, I obsessively scanned the weather reports for this area. It wasn't much help b/c of the microclimates. The weather at my place can be completely different than the nearest weather station.

Old 11-12-2021, 02:31 PM

149 posts, read 78,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
cnote99, I've been looking at the Washington weather pics being currently posted & wondering if SW Washington wouldn't be a better choice. It's been sunny there. It sure hasn't been sunny further north.

Last winter, I drove from Camas to my place. Camas was bright blue cloud-free skies. About halfway to my place, it started raining. I had been gone for about a week, neighbor told me that it had been continuously gray & rainy where I live.

MechAndy is right about microclimates. When I was working, I passed through at least 6 microclimates on my 20 miles commute. It was really dramatic in winter. But, like he said, I'm only familiar with my neck of the woods. Spouse commuted even further for awhile, over Hood Canal...even more microclimates. That was a bad idea.

Coincidence, my kid & spouse had looked at new builds in Brentwood before moving to Colorado. I know nothing about Brentwood, but they had the same reaction as you.

One more thing...before we moved here, I obsessively scanned the weather reports for this area. It wasn't much help b/c of the microclimates. The weather at my place can be completely different than the nearest weather station.
Hey good to know! We are going to check out Camas actually, it's on the "visit" list. I've heard good things about it and I know the schools are rated pretty highly. WOW 6 microclimates in 20 minutes, that's crazy and kinda neat! Yes, we absolutely have microclimates in the Bay Area. If I go into SF it's generally 15-20 cooler than the Oakland area, and potentially foggy and misty. It's beautiful there. Here in Castro Valley it's 70+ degrees and sunny 95% of the year. It's nice I guess, but gets really boring. No rain for the foreseeable future according to weather app. Some seasons would be nice!

Old 11-13-2021, 07:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
31,455 posts, read 51,880,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post

.... the microclimates. The weather at my place can be completely different than the nearest weather station.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
Hey good to know! We are going to check out Camas actually, it's on the "visit" list. I've heard good things about it and I know the schools are rated pretty highly. WOW 6 microclimates in 20 minutes, that's crazy and kinda neat! ....
Just checked.... Only 253 days until summer returns to SWWA (5july2022)
2.8" of rain at PDX yesterday (adequate but not a big rain). That was more than previous 4 months. (We can get 12 " / day at our Texas location, which gets ~ same annual rainfall as SWWA, but does not require 200+ days of drizzle to deliver it).

Micro climes? We have (6) in the 8 miles to town (significant elevation change)
We are 17 miles from PDX and can get 2x the annual precipitation of PDX.
We can have 24" of snow and nearby neighbors only get rain. Colorado was somewhat similar, but cold and windy was widespread. Just varied by local snow or heavy rains (Big Thompson canyon 500yr floods).

Enjoy the sunny pics. The CA advertising agency loves to pump
It's great to get out at your leisure (whenever the sun pops out).

Living and working in the drizzle all day everyday gets old, and may wear out you clothes dryer. Mud... Perpetual mud. Delightful. Living in town would help alleviate the MUD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington