Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 06:13 PM

12 posts, read 16,355 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for your advice, words of warning, thoughts on our existing ideas & recommendations for new places to explore!

We both work remotely so we can live anywhere! Buying a home soon... starting to drive around areas/ neighborhoods that are less familiar to us...

- Western WA, relatively close to water, west of the mountains. Not considering islands w/ ferry only access or Whidbey. We have family in the SJI (Guemes & Orcas) so I'd like to be within a few hours to visit them frequently.
- 37 & 42 married w/ young kids, would love to be in a family friendly area. Ideally a decent public school system.
- Good internet connection, as we both work remotely.
- Budget is up to $1M but we want a lot of "bang for your buck" in terms of house/ property size/ checking off some boxes (would love to stay around $800K so don't automatically recommend Bainbridge lol)
- Decent selection of nicer grocery stores, good restaurants, breweries, coffee shops, gyms, etc. On a scale of City (1) to Remote (10) we're likely a 6 or 7. For reference, Kirkland is a bit too "city" for us (and expensive), and parts of Snohomish are a little too "remote" for us (although we'd consider some properties there).
- We'd love 1/2 to 1 acre of land... ideally with neighbors/ other kids within walking distance/ sense of community, but not right on top of each other. We also don't want 5 acres where we're not near anyone or anything.
- Walkable to trails, creeks, parks... ideally near water for boat & beach access.
- Light to moderate rain. We don't necessarily want to be in the Rain Shadow as we do enjoy lush landscaping and some rain, just maybe not 60"+ year!
- A town that just feels good. People are friendly, walkable quaint downtown area (ie. Edmonds? We love, but doesn't check the "bang for your buck" box), decent Farmers Market, somewhat diverse/ not too conservative. We are white but would like to raise our kids in a community that is on the diverse side and accepting of all people.

Some places that have piqued our interest (in no particular order):
- Port Townsend
- Port Ludlow
- Poulsbo (maybe doesn't fit the "bang for your buck" category?)
- Silverdale
- Bainbridge Island
- Bremerton
- Port Orchard (heard the schools aren't great?)
- Gig Harbor (near the top of our list so far but is the tax burden really that high?)
- Steilacoom
- Enumclaw / Maple Valley area (I know nothing about this area)
- Newcastle
- Issaquah
- Snoqualmie (?)
- Sammamish (is it expensive now?) Union Hill-Novelty Hill
- Woodinville/ Cottage Lake
- Lake Stevens (lots of new development?)
- Anacortes (are younger people moving here? Any plans for new development/ schools?)
- Bellingham (has fallen on & off our radar...)

THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 09:20 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
You've done some thinking already!

I would add Maple Valley, maybe parts of East Renton Highlands. Both are in "good" school districts.

If you're looking as far out as Woodinville maybe add Fall City and North Bend?

We were in Anacortes last week. Lots of "nice" development happening on the route to the ferry. I don't know the price point, nor do I know how schools rate.

Good luck in your search... you have so much to consider!

And update when you make the decision... We've been raising our kids in Issaquah last ten years. They'll be done in 3.8 years (not that I'm counting ) and we might relocate for change of scenery. Similar taste as you.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:31 PM

Thank you! Very insightful! Yes, I've done some thinking

We will absolutely make some time to drive through Maple Valley, East Renton Highlands, Fall City, and North Bend.

I do love Anacortes but I'm worried it's a tad sleepy for younger kids. We go to the Anacortes Art Festival every year with our family on Guemes and it seems like the most "happening" event of the year - everyone in town comes out! The ferry development is nice - we've driven by it too. Housing is affordable, I'm just not convinced the location is just right for us. Bellingham has come on & off our list several times (we would look near Fairhaven area or perhaps up near Lake Whatcom).

I've recently been curious about what's north of Bellingham too... has anyone been to Birch Bay area? Is it super desolate? The houses are just so beautiful & affordable, and there are several golf clubs which my husband would be excited about

@flyingsaucermom I hope you have a wonderful 3.8 years with those kids, then I hope you pursue your change of scenery! My parents are doing the same thing now that retirement is in sight, and I'm so excited for them. I'll let you know where we end up. We're just starting the exploration process, we likely won't buy til Spring 2022 so it may be a while.

Old 09-28-2021, 12:32 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
"- Walkable to trails, creeks, parks... ideally near water for boat & beach access."

Anacortes sounds like a nice fit based on this. Beware though, that Washington State has grown another 1 million+ in population in the last ~decade and just hasn't been keeping up in new infrastructure. The parks, boating, beaches, trails, and campsites are all wonderful things to experience here, no argument there. However, the allure fades fast when the campsites and ferries are all reserved full months in advance, you have to park a mile down the road on the side of the road and walk to the park or trailhead, and the boat launch/truck and trailer parking + overflow lots and any roadside parking in a 1-1/2 mile radius are all full by 9am on nice weather days/fishing and crabbing season. My family used to enjoy all these things here and we had some wonderful times, but we recently sold the boat, camping gear, and mountain bikes because there is just too many people at all these venues now. Instead of being relaxing and peaceful, its turned into crowds, long lines, rude/selfish people, and lots of noise. We were coming home from our weekends frustrated and tired, and it just wasn't worth it. Being these things are the main "perks" in Washington and we pay a steep premium in our cost of living as a result, we do not plan to stay here in the long term.
Your mileage may vary. As WFH you'd have the ability to go to these places during the week/off season when they aren't so crowded?

Old 09-28-2021, 12:36 PM

@rkcarguy thanks for your response. I agree - too "people-y" everywhere!!! Yes, we can enjoy some of the outdoor activities during the week and that helps. Maybe we just have to get out there more & find those hidden gems.

Sounds like you need to move to a more remote area too! Montana? Wyoming?

Old 09-28-2021, 01:01 PM

Birch Bay (BB) has a lot of spec homes in developments on tiny lots = affordable. If you start searching for something on acreage, most of the homes in the entire county are filtered out unless you are looking at $750K on up, which it sounds like you can do. Probably my main complaint about the BB area is that the entire west side is held "captive" by the BNSF mainline running adjacent to I-5 which forks off into the refineries in the area. **There are no overpasses/underpasses.** A co-worker of mine recently sold their BB home due to this, as the train would back into the refinery, and move back and forth switching tankers for 30-45 minutes while blocking all three crossings for her to get out and go to work/take kids to school several times a week. The only way around is to drive north almost to Blaine and go around the end of the train, or take about 1/2 hour detour via the backroads and go through Ferndale, as Ferndale's main street passes under the RR trestle.
Options for shopping/groceries are limited and expensive, most travel into Bellingham for this.
In the summer time BB's main drag along the water will be solid tourist traffic looking for parking and beach spots, crabbing opens in August and this area sees heavy boating traffic for this as well (at the same time).
Lastly, the area is typically subject to about 30% more traffic and shoppers from BC, Canada, and you'll often find "combat shopping" situations at many of the popular stores and long lines at the gas pumps. We've enjoyed a reprieve from this lately due to the Covid-19 border closure, but in time it will reopen and those who moved here during this time are going to be in for a rude(ruder) awakening.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelswick View Post
@rkcarguy thanks for your response. I agree - too "people-y" everywhere!!! Yes, we can enjoy some of the outdoor activities during the week and that helps. Maybe we just have to get out there more & find those hidden gems.

Sounds like you need to move to a more remote area too! Montana? Wyoming?
Yes, we will be looking at a more remote and high desert type area with far less people. I like sunshine, and also like winter/snow, just tired of the wet/rain/mud. As our average temperature has increased slightly, allergens like grass and tree pollen have tripled (per my Dr.). My health would also benefit from a drier less vegetated environment.
I will PM you about a few little gems.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:14 PM

Incredible insight - thank you! That changes my perspective about considering BB. I appreciate that. Yes, please do PM me with any other recommendations

Best of luck with your relocation search as well!

Old 09-28-2021, 03:06 PM

^^^
There is generally a reason if a place is "affordable" here. The Custer, WA area had some affordable homes list earlier this year. The reason, last year Dec 21st eco-terrorists derailed an oil train in Custer, and it caught fire. The town was VERY lucky it was unrefined crude in the tankers. Had it been propane or other processed fuel it could have leveled the little town before anyone would have been able to evacuate.
It seems many don't pay attention or are quick to forget, those homes got bid up over ask and sold right away anyway.

Old 09-29-2021, 04:02 PM

22 posts, read 16,859 times
It's overall a highly optimistic list. You're probably going to have to compromise on at least a few of those points, even at an $800k budget, so best to start figuring out what you're willing to part with and what is really a must-have. It's a tricky mix of some urban-quality amenities and culture happenings, with what sounds like a small-town / rural community vibe.

As far as your list, some comments on places I've lived in/spent a lot of time in:

- Port Townsend = checks most of your items, depending on just how good of a school you want, and if you can afford what's on the market.
- Port Ludlow = has absolutely no downtown or services, it's a master-planned-resort community around a marina and golf course. Mostly retirees and part time vacation places. Terribly boring for children. Absolutely avoid.
- Poulsbo (maybe doesn't fit the "bang for your buck" category?) = better than Silverdale though as far as amenities.
- Silverdale = a less fun, more strip-mall-y version of Poulsbo.
- Bremerton = probably not small enough to have the friendly quaint vibe you want.
- Gig Harbor (near the top of our list so far but is the tax burden really that high?) = which tax are you talking about? Sales, property...? Anyway, easy access to Tacoma is a highlight here if you want more options for things to do, or schools.
- Anacortes (are younger people moving here? Any plans for new development/ schools?) = seems like a pretty good option as well for what you want. If this is too sleepy, definitely cross off Port Ludlow, Birch Bay (unless you're just going to commute to Bellingham for amenities/businesses),
- Bellingham (has fallen on & off our radar...) = This is probably one of the better places for all that you've listed.
-Birch Bay = as far as I know this is pretty much entirely resort/golf/vacation home developments, not really much of a town at all, certainly none of the amenities you'd want.

Good luck, I'd be curious as well to see what you end up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington