Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: High Capacity Magazine Ban
Yes I support the proposed ban. 15 30.61%
No I do not support the proposed ban. 34 69.39%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 03:54 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Just another 'feel good' law for those opposed to guns. It won't have any effect.
Wouldn't that apply to all gun laws? I mean why limit guns at all then? If not, what criteria should be used? And who should make those decisions? The NRA, perhaps? Isn't it everyone's freedom to do what they want to anyway regardless of these stupid gun laws?

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-16-2022 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 04:13 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
I linked one directly related to this bill and nobody addressed it for some reason.
Exactly. I’ve come to realize that people post on here to vent, not to learn. Hardly surprising, but not encouraging. I suppose it’s good that people have an outlet to vent, but then they just talk amongst themselves as if there is no other opinion or proof out there at all, and just remain validated by their peers.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Exactly. I’ve come to realize that people post on here to vent, not to learn. Hardly surprising, but not encouraging. I suppose it’s good that people have an outlet to vent, but then they just talk amongst themselves as if there is no other opinion or proof out there at all, and just remain validated by their peers.
Yes, exactly!! That's why I hardly ever comment on these politically driven/motivated threads. People on CD do not want to learn anything but rather express their frustration and promote their political ideologies and agendas. We hear all the common slogans and rhetoric spewed at rallies, on blogs, etc... It's extremely rare you will ever find one of these political posts on guns, masks, vaccines, climate change, illegal aliens, etc... anything more than a rant session. That's just the nature of CD and much of social media in general. It's hard to find intellectually honest conversations outside extreme biases held from all the common news channels, talk shows and political party lines of thinking - hold the party line!! lol

Derek

Old 02-16-2022, 05:30 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
I linked one directly related to this bill and nobody addressed it for some reason.
Your citation relates to mass shootings only - mass shootings are news-worthy and trendy to report about, but there are several papers discussing the fact that mass shootings are astronomically rare compared to overall crime-related violence in the U.S.

Here is an article by PBS which states that mass shootings are rare and suicides by gun are much more common. For some reason, I don't think a high-capacity magazine ban will help with suicides...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/...more-americans

Old 02-16-2022, 05:32 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
LOL! Seriously? Are you seriously that arrogant that you think that you are posting on here to "teach" people???

Old 02-16-2022, 05:39 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I come here to talk to people, not get reading assignments or trade links. I'll read a short article that is relevant, but it's lazy and arrogant to post links to lengthy studies we're expected to read instead of just writing what you think. It's a discussion forum about opinions. We may be involved in many such conversations and time is short.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:56 PM

1,066 posts, read 891,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I come here to talk to people, not get reading assignments or trade links. I'll read a short article that is relevant, but it's lazy and arrogant to post links to lengthy studies we're expected to read instead of just writing what you think. It's a discussion forum about opinions. We may be involved in many such conversations and time is short.
You literally have to read to participate. No facts, opinions only!!

Old 02-16-2022, 06:33 PM

I think if most of us are honest we can find some common ground:

1. 'Some' gun laws are necessary. With freedom comes responsibility.
2. No one is saying all guns should be banned.
3. The Second Amendment still stands. No need to panic.
4. No one is anti-gun simply because they vote one way or the other on this particular issue.
5. Americans and Washingtonians have a right to vote on these issues.
6. As far the degree to which laws limit certain guns usages, it is still up to the people to decide.
7. Most will probably not change their minds based upon what some does or does not say here on CD.

Obviously, we're all going to have different opinions on this issue which can even be seen in this very limited poll sample size so far - 15. With so many hunters and gun owners in the PNW, it will likely not pass anyway due mostly to political views.

Honest question: As the largest gun lobbyist group, does the NRA ever promote limitations on firearms? For those not NRA members, the playbook seems like always like the same broken record of: 'hell no. Don't touch my firearms.' It's the slippery slope logic and philosophy of 'if you give 'em (those liberals) an inch, they'll take a mile!'

Derek

Old 02-16-2022, 06:41 PM

1,369 posts, read 713,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
LOL! Seriously? Are you seriously that arrogant that you think that you are posting on here to "teach" people???
No, I’m humble enough to come on here in the hopes of learning from people. If I have information that I know to be true and share it, I’d like to think that others would be amenable to discussing it with me.

Despite the rancor, I have learned from posters on CD, including people who are completely opposed to my point of view.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:46 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Honest question: As the largest gun lobbyist group, does the NRA ever promote limitations on firearms? For those not NRA members, the playbook seems like always like the same broken record of: 'hell no. Don't touch my firearms.' It's the slippery slope logic and philosophy of 'if you give 'em (those liberals) an inch, they'll take a mile!'

Derek

Well, they're not wrong with the give an inch warning. The slippery slope of incremental goals is a real strategy.

I can't say I've ever seen them advocate for a new gun restriction, but the NRA is always a big proponent of enforcing existing gun crimes before enacting new ones. Fair request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington