Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2022, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 36,620 times

Advertisements

My spouse and I spent 2 weeks recently exploring western WA as a place to settle. We visited Bellingham, Anacortes, Whidbey Island, Port Townsend, and just about all of Kitsap peninsula. If we decide to relocate, we'd probably prefer something near Silverdale, Poulsbo or Gig Harbor.

Any thoughts/advice on living in this area would be appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 08:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
....we'd probably prefer something near Silverdale, Poulsbo or Gig Harbor.

Any thoughts/advice on living in this area would be appreciated. Thanks.

You've chosen a good area. (My dad was in Retsil / Port Orchard for his last 15 yrs), I spent a lot of time at Harrison Hospital and in Silverdale rehab for strokes. https://encorecommunities.com/northwoods-lodge
and many weekends in the area.

Can you provide more hints about your expectations and lifestyle? (Where are you coming from?, do you hike, bike, drive, fish, go to the city often, participate in the 'arts'....?)
  1. Rent or buy?
  2. Preferred housing cost?
  3. How large living space is required?
  4. Do you prefer rural or urban?
  5. Apartment or home?
  6. Is mobile home park OK? (There are a few ROC's in your chosen region)
  7. How many minutes to groceries / services?
  8. Walkable neighborhood?
  9. Recreational and hobby activities?
  10. How many trips / month / yr to urban setting? (Seattle or Sea-Tac)
  11. How far is too far from urban needs? 20 min? or 2 hrs? (Medical / international airport)
  12. Do you garden? (Available water, soils, sun, and micro climates)

Best advice I got when moving from sunny Colorado to PNW... "Don't get a home nestled in the trees!!!"
Get a home with open access to south and huge windows!!! I rented one home without south face windows and was sick (and cold) a lot. All my future WA homes have had HUGE south facing windows, preferably with gorgeous views during retirement!

Old 05-15-2022, 08:09 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Silverdale, Gig Harbor and Poulsbo are nice areas of the Peninsula, and also probably the most expensive.

Stealth asks some of the needed followup questions about what you're looking for. Happy to help, but need more information to know what you might like.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
You've chosen a good area. (My dad was in Retsil / Port Orchard for his last 15 yrs), I spent a lot of time at Harrison Hospital and in Silverdale rehab for strokes. https://encorecommunities.com/northwoods-lodge
and many weekends in the area.

Can you provide more hints about your expectations and lifestyle? (Where are you coming from?, do you hike, bike, drive, fish, go to the city often, participate in the 'arts'....?)
  1. Rent or buy?

Buy single family house.
  2. Preferred housing cost?

$1M is probably our cap. Ideally less.
  3. How large living space is required?

We'd like at least 2300 sq ft. Hopefully at least an acre of land.
  4. Do you prefer rural or urban?

Rural setting, within easy (20 minutes) driving of major retail.
  5. Apartment or home?
  6. Is mobile home park OK? (There are a few ROC's in your chosen region)
  7. How many minutes to groceries / services?
  8. Walkable neighborhood?
  9. Recreational and hobby activities?

Biking, hiking.
  10. How many trips / month / yr to urban setting? (Seattle or Sea-Tac)

Probably just 2-3 per year.
  11. How far is too far from urban needs? 20 min? or 2 hrs? (Medical / international airport)
  12. Do you garden? (Available water, soils, sun, and micro climates)

Best advice I got when moving from sunny Colorado to PNW... "Don't get a home nestled in the trees!!!"
Get a home with open access to south and huge windows!!! I rented one home without south face windows and was sick (and cold) a lot. All my future WA homes have had HUGE south facing windows, preferably with gorgeous views during retirement!
We are also coming from CO, and the big change in weather is honestly my biggest concern. Everything else we've learned about the area seems to suit us.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2022, 01:13 PM

With your additional guidance, I would probably look near Silverdale / Poulsbo (More services and access)

I also really like the area near Manchester State Park. (And Harper / Southworth)

Should be able to find something suitable to your needs in $650k -$850k range (Will not be new, but will be 'improved').
There are a lot of 1+ acre homes in the above areas. (Many with view)

Further out will bring down your entry costs, but will be tougher to sell in a serious downturn, and may create a lot of additional driving if you end up with a medical condition that requires frequent treatment.

Hard to imagine that we had to make 3 yrs of double house payments on our home in Colorado that would not sell. Had a great view, on a park, and was priced at $59,500 ~40 yrs ago). Its resale today is about $600k today, but 10x price increase is not a stellar return on a 40yr investment. (<7% / yr). Back out the carrying costs (Insurance, taxes, maint) and it is a very low ROI.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
With your additional guidance, I would probably look near Silverdale / Poulsbo (More services and access)
I'm somewhat surprised by this comment. It seems like Gig Harbor has major retail, and wouldn't Tacoma have more services than Silverdale? Or are you referring to ferry service to Seattle?

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2022, 02:33 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Yes - Gig Harbor does have all the major retail stores and a hospital for circumstances that don’t require Tacoma - and so does Bremerton. :-)

Old 05-15-2022, 02:55 PM

Quote:

While I don't need sunshine every day, I do appreciate that I can get outside 80% of days here in CO for hiking/biking/running. I am a little concerned about WA winters...not seeing the sun for days and constant dampness.

Could you please describe how the adjustment went for you?

Old 05-15-2022, 05:47 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
We moved from CO to WA and only stayed there less than four years before moving back to a different part of CO.

Our reasons had nothing to do with the weather, or the beautiful maritime environment (which includes more rain). I actually loved much of the weather—especially the fog—albeit not the Pineapple Express events. But that kind of rain was not typical in the (relative) rain shadow areas.

You had better get to know the human environment and “attitudes” very well before buying a house there. I also felt the area was subtly but very deeply racist, despite much PR about “eclecticism”.

YMMV, obviously.

Old 05-15-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I'm somewhat surprised by this comment. It seems like Gig Harbor has major retail, and wouldn't Tacoma have more services than Silverdale? Or are you referring to ferry service to Seattle?

Thanks.
Personal preference, but I find Tacoma to be crowded, rude, worn down (grubby), Where-as Silverdale / Bremerton has been delightful and helpful for needed goods and services. (Harrison Hospital is actual quite good.)
Gig Harbor is picturesque, and I have a few friends who love living there. But way too much traffic / hassle / expense with the routes in and out of Tacoma (Many, MANY people commute daily + commerce to the peninsula = massive traffic. I would rather take a ferry a few times / month. I have a 'thing' about traffic and stop lights. (I don't do them, there are NONE in my retirement county!)

Quote:
While I don't need sunshine every day, I do appreciate that I can get outside 80% of days here in CO for hiking/biking/running. I am a little concerned about WA winters...not seeing the sun for days and constant dampness.

Could you please describe how the adjustment went for you?
I'm the wrong person to ask, because I never have adjusted to PNW weather, especially winter darkness and short days. But... at least I am not divorced (yet) as did many of my CO co-workers who transferred to PNW.

I'm an outdoors person (Farmer / builder / biker) and prefer the prairie. SUNSETS and moon and stars! a HUGE (heated) shop helps, mine is dinky (40x60), but I have (3) of them, so that helps a little.

So... I am gone from PNW a lot. ($19.90 direct flights to San Diego were a godsend, even if it meant flying Spirit.) Down at 5AM, return at 1AM, rinse and repeat during rainy season.(daily?, usually once / week).

Last week I spent in Bay area and SoCA and LV. Yesterday in CO + 3 trips there in June. Currently at my TX home for a few days (Until weather improves in WA). I also travel internationally as much as possible. I worked in Asia and Europe for many of my career yrs living in WA. When forced to be stuck at home in WA, I would do Asia support, so my work hours were 5pm - 5am, and I had all day free to be outside (when a few minutes of weather reprieve arrived). Quite honestly the weather is much different in last 5+ yrs, certainly far less wind, snow, freezing rain. But that is likely on the 7-10 yr cycle.

If my PNW location had a lap pool, or wide enough roads to bike, my adjustment could have been much easier. Some areas in PNW have both + other ways and activities to get out safely.
There is usually a "Colorado" week in Dec or Jan (Cold windy + clear and sunny (But not 70F! and no chinook winds))

Ironically... tho DW (SoCA and CO background) loves PNW...But.. if either spouse croaks, each would be GONE from WA in very short order. We have a very beautiful, convenient and QUIET home that we designed and built together. It is in a protected scenic area that could never be replicated. So we stay (until the estate sale). DW would head to CO (we came from EP), and I to WY or SD. (Less PEOPLE / traffic than CO). DW has been to Hawaii 4x this yr (as a climate escape), $79flts + free companion means she can take sisters, family, and friends. (2 sisters (from CO) live there.

If any neighbors get a yapping dog. I'm outta here, and you can buy a very nice home quite cheap!
*disclaimer... I've had working farm dogs for 50+ yrs, they don't bug the neighbors, and are not 'show' dogs. (with a high social need of dog or owner for fond acceptance)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington