U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 11:42 PM

8 posts, read 17,486 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in Gig Harbor right now and was considering moving to the Harmon Lofts on Pacific in Downtown Tacoma..Do you think this would be safe?? Would you let your daughter live by herself there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,919,182 times
There's been a lot going on in that neighborhood, good stuff. UW Tacoma is right there, and it's near the glass museum, art museum, history museum, and the Harmon brewpub right in the building.
It's a neighborhood that used to be quite dangerous, and it's still downtown Tacoma, but it's improved a lot in recent years, and there are neighborhoods in Tacoma that are far worse.
It should be a fun, exciting neighborhood with a lot going for it. Tacoma is much nicer now than people remember.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:48 AM

392 posts, read 1,369,981 times
Depends on how old my daughter was! Currently we live in Gig Harbor as well, but our daughter is only 8 months so she's not living anywhere on her own:-)
Ira is right I think. There's a lot of activity going on in that area. If your daughter is college aged, and you've raised her to be wise and alert, but not fearful, I can't imagine why living there would be a problem.
Reality is it's a city. Cities will always have more crime issues than places like GH tend to. But there's nothing about that area that is fearful. It'd be a very fun place for a college aged kid I think.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 17,486 times
I'm 19. I'm not super street smart, but book smart!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:46 PM

You'd be fine then...just whack any would-be attacker with one of your college books! Seriously, I think you'd be fine, but would still want to be careful. Young female walking by herself wouldn't be too wise. Basic common sense and it's a good area.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:41 AM

18,806 posts, read 21,777,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Tacoma is much nicer now than people remember.
Oh yeah!
Tacoma is up and coming (finally!!!).

Ken

Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 PM

2,127 posts, read 4,353,827 times
Where exactly *is* downtown Tacoma - street boundaries, I mean? My son has decided to attend UPS starting next fall, and we visited the campus in March - we really liked the school, the north Tacoma residential area, Point Defiance Park, the bike path along Ruston Way, etc. Though we drove around some, I don't know if we actually hit downtown Tacoma because I don't know where it is! He'll be moving in late August and we'd like to check out the city a little more when we drop him off.

Tacoma seems like a nice little city that's coming into its own lately.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 AM

Downtown specifically is Pacific Ave up through probably MLK St running N/S. Running E/W probably South 30-North 15th I'd guess. I don't have a map in front of me.
Basically, from UPS, you could shoot straight down N 11th (the street that runs between their stadium and basketball arena), and you'd go through some neighborhoods and in about 3 miles hit downtown.
A faster route would be to shoot over to 6th Ave, head east and it'll drop you right into downtown.
From the bike path on Ruston, that Schuster Parkway (at the far east end of the path) will wind you directly into downtown as well. UPS is a pretty nice, central location close to lots of things.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:18 PM

2,127 posts, read 4,353,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
Basically, from UPS, you could shoot straight down N 11th (the street that runs between their stadium and basketball arena), and you'd go through some neighborhoods and in about 3 miles hit downtown.
A faster route would be to shoot over to 6th Ave, head east and it'll drop you right into downtown.
From the bike path on Ruston, that Schuster Parkway (at the far east end of the path) will wind you directly into downtown as well. UPS is a pretty nice, central location close to lots of things.
Ah, thanks. We checked out the 6th Avenue area directly south of the campus, so we'll probably go that way. I think we skirted the edge of downtown at one point when we were wandering around, but next time we'll know for sure. We were in one area that had taller, denser buildings and a few unsavory characters on the street corners, so it looked "downtown-y" to me. Luckily, my son spent the first 12 years of his life in San Francisco, so he's pretty immune to the usual urban grit that one finds in any city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington