U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 11:34 PM

64,671 posts, read 54,297,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunninJT View Post
Are you not allowed to hunt the deer or animals on your own land in Washington? I have two deep freezers and they wont just fill themselves. One of the reasons I intend to move (back) to Washington is for the hunting and fishing.
Seriously? Did you understand the post? I don't think so. Besides, if you tried to shoot the deer in your garden, the whole bunch of them would leave the neighborhood and go back to the woods. Even if you didn't hit a neighbor, or shoot through someone's window or parked car, you'd still get arrested.

Oh, and btw, if you're thinking about buying rural land, WA State property taxes are higher than those in many states, because there's no state income tax. So they nail you on the property tax. It prevents many people from buying enough land to hunt on, because they can't afford the taxes. Obviously, it depends on the individual economic situation, but I know plenty of extended families who had to sell the family vacation estate due to the tax burden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 08:07 AM

362 posts, read 225,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Can you tell me why so many people from Texas are moving here? What did we do? We are being overrun and there's more Texans coming to Washington than even Oregon. We are not close geographically and we are very different from Texans so what is the deal?

Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where? | The Seattle Times
Pretty sure its not personal, from I have seen the Texans are being chased out of Texas by the Californians.
I know that sounds like snark but there is a chunk of truth in that. I am sure the Clallam County area has grown over the years but some parts of Texas has absolutely exploded. A lot of people who were used to small quiet communities quickly found themselves in a very noisy and crowded metropolis with an infrastructure that can not handle such. So for every few thousand transplants moving into Central Texas you will have a few 'locals' escaping. They sell their property at unbelievably inflated price (from what it was a few years ago) and most move way way into the suburbs or take their chances retiring on to a hundred acre ranch around some small town (ranching is no fun). The rest are heading north west for whatever reason. Some sick of the heat and wanting a change. A lot of them are liberals sick of being surrounded by a deeply red state. I know this may sound strange but even reportedly conservative Sequim and PA are fairly moderate compared to a place like Coleman or Lampassas. Marijuana friendly laws probably attracted quite a few of them. But dont think the property taxes are scaring them away, Washington state tax is listed at 1.09% and Texas is listed at 1.90% but the local property worth around central Texas have skyrocketed enough to force a move on more than a few people.

Last edited by RunninJT; 04-15-2016 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: reasons

Old 04-15-2016, 10:36 AM

3,109 posts, read 1,300,224 times
Quote:
Pretty sure its not personal, from I have seen the Texans are being chased out of Texas by the Californians.
I know that sounds like snark but there is a chunk of truth in that. I am sure the Clallam County area has grown over the years but some parts of Texas has absolutely exploded. A lot of people who were used to small quiet communities quickly found themselves in a very noisy and crowded metropolis with an infrastructure that can not handle such. So for every few thousand transplants moving into Central Texas you will have a few 'locals' escaping. They sell their property at unbelievably inflated price (from what it was a few years ago) and most move way way into the suburbs or take their chances retiring on to a hundred acre ranch around some small town (ranching is no fun). The rest are heading north west for whatever reason. Some sick of the heat and wanting a change. A lot of them are liberals sick of being surrounded by a deeply red state. I know this may sound strange but even reportedly conservative Sequim and PA are fairly moderate compared to a place like Coleman or Lampassas. Marijuana friendly laws probably attracted quite a few of them. But dont think the property taxes are scaring them away, Washington state tax is listed at 1.09% and Texas is listed at 1.90% but the local property worth around central Texas have skyrocketed enough to force a move on more than a few people.
Re: liberals and conservatives, someone who plans to move here from TX asked me about the politics in PT. I said it was extremely liberal, or maybe just liberal with an extremely preachy, vocal uberliberal subset. He replied that it would be great to get away from rightwingers. I told him, Be Careful What You Wish For. I think it is healthier to have a balance of differences so that nobody controls everything.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:27 AM

13,964 posts, read 8,052,230 times
Quote:
Well, we'll have to hope the rain does the trick. It's not personal, but those numbers from one specific state, that's not California, seem odd considering we are no where near there. Plus we're unabashedly blue and know conservative in Sequim is not like conservative in the South. We passed gay marriage by vote long before the Supreme Court ruled and I voted for marijuana even though I have no interest in it whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Re: liberals and conservatives, someone who plans to move here from TX asked me about the politics in PT. I said it was extremely liberal, or maybe just liberal with an extremely preachy, vocal uberliberal subset. He replied that it would be great to get away from rightwingers. I told him, Be Careful What You Wish For. I think it is healthier to have a balance of differences so that nobody controls everything.
I hope Port Townsend never changes, that's part of its charm - their hippie, liberal, non-judgemental vibe. You could move to Sequim and feel really comfortable there.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:59 AM

3,109 posts, read 1,300,224 times
Quote:
Well, we'll have to hope the rain does the trick. It's not personal, but those numbers from one specific state, that's not California, seem odd considering we are no where near there. Plus we're unabashedly blue and know conservative in Sequim is not like conservative in the South. We passed gay marriage by vote long before the Supreme Court ruled and I voted for marijuana even though I have no interest in it whatsoever.

I hope Port Townsend never changes, that's part of its charm - their hippie, liberal, non-judgemental vibe. You could move to Sequim and feel really comfortable there.

How can you possibly know where I would feel comfortable? PT is definitely not nonjudgmental. I have lived in nonjudgmental places, and this is not one. The hippie vibe is fine. So is liberal. And so is conservative. Extremes of either side, not so fine. I choose to live here, and if you don't think I "fit" what view you have of PT, oh well. If it is truly a diverse, eclectic town, there will be people who don't "fit" someone else's view. That is what diverse means.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:08 PM

1,927 posts, read 980,227 times
Quote:
Can you tell me why so many people from Texas are moving here? What did we do? We are being overrun and there's more Texans coming to Washington than even Oregon. We are not close geographically and we are very different from Texans so what is the deal?

Newcomers arriving in record numbers, but from where? | The Seattle Times
Can I ask you where you were born and where did live before moving to the Peninsula?

Duh...most people who move to the Peninsula do it because they retire and want to live somewhere which has good weather and scenic beauty, close to the water and mountains or just want to get away from the crush of too many people and want a slower life style...

I find it hypocritical that people who move here from places like Seattle or California or such, find other people who come after they did as outsiders. Strange thinking to be sure.

I personally was born and raised and have lived in the NW my whole life. Having worked where the best paying job was, upon retiring. found the Peninsula the best place to do just that after searching for a retirement area for years. Not withstanding, having relatives here also here may have been a strong selling point.

I find your post strange.....If you are a Peninsula born/raised/life long resident, then my apologize. But I still don't get your point.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Ah...PT is non-judgemental? And you just posted a judgemental statement against non-liberals?

Priceless!

Old 04-15-2016, 12:25 PM

13,964 posts, read 8,052,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Can I ask you where you were born and where did live before moving to the Peninsula?

Duh...most people who move to the Peninsula do it because they retire and want to live somewhere which has good weather and scenic beauty, close to the water and mountains or just want to get away from the crush of too many people and want a slower life style...

I find it hypocritical that people who move here from places like Seattle or California or such, find other people who come after they did as outsiders. Strange thinking to be sure.

I personally was born and raised and have lived in the NW my whole life. Having worked where the best paying job was, upon retiring. found the Peninsula the best place to do just that after searching for a retirement area for years. Not withstanding, having relatives here also here may have been a strong selling point.

I find your post strange.....If you are a Peninsula born/raised/life long resident, then my apologize. But I still don't get your point.
I don't understand what you find confusing. I outlined in my question to the other poster exactly why I thought it odd. One specific state is number two in the nation for moving to Washington. More Texans are moving here than even Oregon which borders us. The article even found that surprising. Geographically, we are no where close and politically and culturally, we are very different. Since you are not from Texas, I'm not sure why my question interests you. I took the opportunity to ask someone from Texas a question I've had for quite some time now. I see their license plates all over and keep wondering about this so I asked the person from Texas for their perspective, considering they probably know how different Washington is from Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
How can you possibly know where I would feel comfortable? PT is definitely not nonjudgmental. I have lived in nonjudgmental places, and this is not one. The hippie vibe is fine. So is liberal. And so is conservative. Extremes of either side, not so fine. I choose to live here, and if you don't think I "fit" what view you have of PT, oh well. If it is truly a diverse, eclectic town, there will be people who don't "fit" someone else's view. That is what diverse means.
I could not possibly know where you would feel comfortable. You have made several posts about your unhappiness with Port Townsend and then today you said specifically you think it can be skewed too far. Some people, myself included, find that liberal vibe very appealing so I said I hope it stays that way - that's all.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:47 PM

362 posts, read 225,626 times
Quote:
I see their license plates all over and keep wondering about this so I asked the person from Texas for their perspective, considering they probably know how different Washington is from Texas.

"Texas" and Washington are extremely different I would never disagree with that, however "Austin" and some areas of Houston and San Antonio are politically and socially extremely similar to Washington. Austin in particular is considered a blue dot in a sea of red by the surrounding counties which makes for some pretty impressive protest on the capital steps (house and senate both extremely conservative and being hosted in a extremely liberal city). I could fill a book with the stories of culture clashes between blue and red Texas, a comedy horror book.

But yea, if anything is going to run off a Texan from Washington then it wont be the "Seattle Freeze", it will be the damp dreary weather. But earthquakes and mudslides wont scare em. Tornadoes are far scarier, trust me. Dont even get me started on the fauna.

Old 04-15-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I don't understand what you find confusing. I outlined in my question to the other poster exactly why I thought it odd. One specific state is number two in the nation for moving to Washington. More Texans are moving here than even Oregon which borders us. The article even found that surprising. Geographically, we are no where close and politically and culturally, we are very different. Since you are not from Texas, I'm not sure why my question interests you. I took the opportunity to ask someone from Texas a question I've had for quite some time now. I see their license plates all over and keep wondering about this so I asked the person from Texas for their perspective, considering they probably know how different Washington is from Texas.
So What? Can or will you answer my questions on where you are from? Believe it or not I am very interested.

Quote:
I could not possibly know where you would feel comfortable. You have made several posts about your unhappiness with Port Townsend and then today you said specifically you think it can be skewed too far. Some people, myself included, find that liberal vibe very appealing so I said I hope it stays that way - that's all.
Now I am starting to understand...You being a liberal are saying you aren't very tolerant of others who don't share you views or values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington