U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2022, 08:47 PM

7,462 posts, read 15,289,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Derek that last picture is breathtaking.
I mean look at all that missing mountain.
Check out this before and after picture. It lost a significant part of its original summit.

https://thehistorybandits.com/2016/0...-carousel-1964

Derek
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 09:52 PM

3,112 posts, read 1,090,493 times
When you drive up to Mt. St. Helens the destruction is still an awesome sight.

The most dangerous volcanoes in the US

#1 Kilauea - Hawaii
#2 Mt. St. Helens - Washington
#3 Mt. Rainier - Washington

#5 Mt. Shasta - Californiia
#6 Mt. Hood - Oregon
#7 Mt Sisters - Oregon

#13 Mt Newberry - Oregon
#14 Mt Baker - Washington
#15 Glacier Peak - Washington

#17 Crater Lake - Oregon

So, basically the Cascade Range and Hawaii and Alaska interspersed...

Old 11-19-2022, 11:04 PM

7,462 posts, read 15,289,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
When you drive up to Mt. St. Helens the destruction is still an awesome sight.

The most dangerous volcanoes in the US

#1 Kilauea - Hawaii
#2 Mt. St. Helens - Washington
#3 Mt. Rainier - Washington
We were vacationing on the Big Island in 2018 when Kilauea erupted on a very large scale. It destroyed 100s of homes. Here's a shot I took of it off in distance from the Mauna Kea observatory just prior to the major eruption. Afterwards, ash was raining down across the entire island. The 2018 eruption of Kīlauea volcano

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-19-2022 at 11:14 PM..

Old 11-20-2022, 09:09 AM

3,112 posts, read 1,090,493 times
I remember that Derek. You have great photos.

Old 11-20-2022, 11:44 AM

25,004 posts, read 33,314,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusVelo View Post
Just report it and let the mod sort it out. Taking content from someone else and presenting as their own is certainly a violation.
Thanks; done.

Old 11-20-2022, 12:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 6,852,962 times
Getting back to the original topic of the thread (please):

really, what's Oly like in 2022? It's been about a decade since I've been there. Can I safely walk from downtown to the Capitol grounds at any time of day? Can I safely walk from downtown to the Evergreen campus, as I used to do, any time of day? Where are the safe and unsafe neighborhoods? And how's Shelton now (if I can squeeze this in)?

Old 11-20-2022, 12:21 PM

4,202 posts, read 1,920,520 times
I drive by Olympia a bit.
The rural areas surrounding there are pretty nice.
I never really considered Olympia to be unfriendly politically but I don’t spend time in that city.

There is an area not all that far from me called Port Townsend that I often frequent.
You could say it is very liberal and be accurate.
Politically I’m not exactly what you would call far left and I don’t think I’d have regrets living there (other than I like my place a lot).
It’s a lot more liberal than my area of Clallam County and yet we all seem to coexist in both areas.

I think that some people just tend to make mountains out of mole hills.
Just sayin.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:07 PM

12,221 posts, read 8,948,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Getting back to the original topic of the thread (please):

really, what's Oly like in 2022? It's been about a decade since I've been there. Can I safely walk from downtown to the Capitol grounds at any time of day? Can I safely walk from downtown to the Evergreen campus, as I used to do, any time of day? Where are the safe and unsafe neighborhoods? And how's Shelton now (if I can squeeze this in)?
I would not describe any place in Olympia as criminally unsafe.... There's no place I wouldn't feel safe going, but there are homeless camps here and there that I would not want to walk through and there is crime around, you do have to keep an eye out. I think a difference in perception is it seems like random crime can happen anywhere, it's not restricted to some 'bad' part of town. It can be at anywhere... even at Home Depot or the grocery store. Not frequently, but often enough.

Evergreen Campus is actually quite a long ways out of town (still)... It has probably been built up with more residential neighborhoods out there since you were here but that walk is at least five miles along rural forested roads. There are walking or bike paths but I doubt they are lit at night.

Shelton is probably improved since you were here. They've had a population and economic boom because while prices climbed in Olympia, you could get more for your money there, while still being only 30 minutes away. I think Shelton is doing well and there are fewer homeless camp problems, as far as I have seen, there than in Olympia.

Old 11-20-2022, 01:22 PM

836 posts, read 932,218 times
Just too much rain there.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:06 PM

12,221 posts, read 8,948,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Just too much rain there.
Not enough rain lately actually! It's been a pretty dry fall.

I've lived where it doesn't rain.... They don't have our forests. And I love our forests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington