U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2007, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 18,481 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you can have chickens within the city limits of Kalama
Washington? Also any thoughts about this town? How's the air quality? Anyone worried about the new coal plant? Thinking about moving to one on the smaller towns outside of Vancouver, and would love some insite.
Thanks, LRay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 04:31 PM

6 posts, read 42,456 times
Default I'm in Longview next to Kalama

In Longview we get the stink from the papermill constantly and since Kalama is right next door I imagine they get it too. I've never been in Kalama since I haven't lived here long, but I drive by it on my way to work and it seems like a really tiny town. I have heard about the coal plant and have asked different ones if they think it will make air quality worse. Some think it will and some think it won't. I don't know if the stink from the papermill is carcinogenic, but I think it has caused our cat to develop occasional asthma. That's all I know. Hope it helps.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:27 PM

4 posts, read 18,481 times
Red face Thanks

Thanks for you insight. I know when I visited Longview my allergies went mad, and my eyes burned. They haven't yet in Kalama, but I wuld hate to move there and then get messed up by the pollution. Anyway thanks again for your thoughts. Any other input from anyone would be appreciated.
LRAy

Old 02-24-2007, 03:41 PM

16 posts, read 78,012 times
Hey LRAy,

You looking for a house there in Kalama? I own a few and would sell if you were interested. The Kalama area is WAY better to live in than Longview.

Old 02-25-2007, 01:18 AM

3 posts, read 12,781 times
I once lived in Kalama for a short time it was pretty dull.

Several towns around Washington State were founded by Hawaiians, Kalama is one of them.

It may never have gotten a fair shake in life since its founding, it is overwhelmed physically by industry establishments, port facilities, a chemical plant etc all around it. And Interstate 5 cuts right through it and over its head.

The Kalama I remember was almost like a left behind item like you see on the shoulder of the Interstate, like a single battered tennis shoe.

But, every coin having two sides, one might also say it was quiet there, the cop never seemed to be too awfully busy.

Lots of drugs around. But then there is the Kalama River, which when I was a boy was rated by a national sports magazine as one of the top ten steelhead streams in North America.

If you follow the Kalama River all the way to its source you will find yourself at Goat Marsh, which is at the base of Mt. St. Helens, there is a primitive state campsite there, and across and down the other side of the road is McBride Lake which contains speckled trout. There are a couple of pothole type lakes in the area also.

There are also caverns in that general area, mostly lava tubes, but only a few people know where they are.

Will they allow chickens in Kalama? I'm thinking they will.

Old 02-27-2007, 05:33 AM

16 posts, read 78,012 times
You are not supposed to have livestock within the city limits of Kalama, however I know of several people that do. It probably depends on how big your land is, and who your neighbor's are. If you move in next door to the mayor, and he doesn't like your chickens, they will be gone. To know for sure, call the city hall up and ask.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,659 times
Sounds like a completely different town than what we really are. I dont know how long ago you lived here but, we are a close, tight community where everyone knows
and cares about you. Sorry your experience was not a good one. And there is no smell here. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington