U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 10:09 PM

54 posts, read 199,184 times

Advertisements

Please let me know if you want any additional info and I can email you directly. we are moving to Spokane, but I went to grad school at WSU with a family and recently graduated. Palouse, Uniontown, as well as all the others mentioned are ok, but I found it was much easier to be in Pullman due to the weather in the winter. It is not that harsh but Pullman is all hills so driving in the snow up and down the hills will be a concern as well as driving in from other towns. Can I ask what you will be studying? Good luck!! Pullman is relatively diverse because of WSU's population, and because it is a college town with a big turn over rate in population the kids at the schools are extremely tolerant of "the new kid", this was the case at LMS anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2007, 04:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,402 times
Smile Colfax

Hi, Our family moved to Colfax in 1999 and we love it. Despite what Pullmanites say, Colfax is very open to newcomers. We came from Western Washington, but I know several folks from California who are here and in several of our other small towns. I will admit Colfax does not have any night life, but as a family with kids, that is not a big concern. We can always go to Spokane or Pullman to go to the movies etc. Much of life revolves around the school (if you have kids) or church (if you attend).
I wouldn't worry about the racial concerns. I am mexican american, my hubby caucasian and I had that same concern. It has never been an issue.
In town, no chickens etc, but outside town that is not a concern. We live about 3 miles out and have chickens, cows, dogs, cats etc.
It is funny. If you ask most people in Pullman about Colfax they describe it as a speed trap and a "closed" community. If you ask someone anywhere else in the county about Pullman they will say it is full of "elitist liberal snobs". I work with folks from all over the county and neither one of those descriptions is accurate. Every town has some nice folks and some not so nice folks, but overall they are all great people. And as for the area, it is beautiful.
As for schools, I have two daughters who have gone through Colfax schools. When we looked at test scores, Pullman definetly has better scores than Colfax, but our girls have loved Colfax because of the small size and the opportunity to be involved in everything. I have one who is a senior in HS and has had the time of her life. When you look at the kids who have done well here and gone on to College, they continue to do well - Dean's list etc.
Cost of living: Colfax is a little cheaper than Pullman, and the outlying towns (except Maybe Palouse) are even a little cheaper than Colfax.
It comes down to what you want. Pullman is a little more up with the times (and a little more liberal), while Colfax and the other towns are more down to earth (and more conservative). Living on the Palouse gives us the best of both worlds. And guess what? If you go the speed limit, you don't get a ticket!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington