Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2020, 05:14 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times

Advertisements

These is the 3rd quarter real estate data for Whatcom County. The median price in Bellingham is $550,000 is up 16.5%, the average price is $642,260, up 17.1%.

https://www.lyndentribune.com/news/h...ed80c3639.html

Only the wealthy, those with cash can afford these prices. Those who aren’t need a great on the ball realtor who aggressively look for homes for their clients in their price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 05:20 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
The writing is on the wall… We’re becoming Seattle 2.0. Bellingham’s geographical setting is to die for, but it’s depressing seeing our city deteriorate like this.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Drove by Schweinhaus Brewery early last Saturday morning and there were half a dozen homeless sleeping on top the pub’s outdoor dining tables. If the patrons only knew..

If I stay here post retirement, it will not be in one of our core neighborhoods within walking distance to downtown. The urban lifestyle dream is dead..at least for me.
I guess I don’t get around much since COVID. Where were these photos taken?

I am sorry that this is happening. We are pretty immune in rural areas, at least ours. Part of the blame can go to the people you elect. Sharon Shewmake was the lone voice being okay with a low barrier homeless shelter in the Lettered Streets Neighborhood. She has 2 young children and has found needles in her yard, thinks if someone stole a package off her porch they must need it worse than she does and would have no problem walking by said facility with her children. She won her district handily. You get what you vote for.

Old 11-08-2020, 05:36 PM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
I guess I don’t get around much since COVID. Where were these photos taken?

I am sorry that this is happening. We are pretty immune in rural areas, at least ours. Part of the blame can go to the people you elect. Sharon Shewmake was the lone voice being okay with a low barrier homeless shelter in the Lettered Streets Neighborhood. She has 2 young children and has found needles in her yard, thinks if someone stole a package off her porch they must need it worse than she does and would have no problem walking by said facility with her children. She won her district handily. You get what you vote for.
The tents are along Cornwall avenue directly across from the Trek Bicycle store and Neko’s Cat Cafe. The RV is one of many on D and E Streets down by Chuckanut Brewery on Holly.

I agree, the citizenry gets the government it votes for…and by extension, its after effects. I certainly didn’t vote for this, but people like me are highly outnumbered. This is what you find in cities which embrace progressivism.

In my opinion, central Bellingham is becoming unlivable. I never envisioned myself living way out on Lakeway Street, or in Barkley or Silver Beach, but if I stay, that’s what will happen.

Old 11-09-2020, 02:47 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,733,126 times
CoastieTX's pics ARE just the tip of the iceberg sadly. There is another camp along Frasier St. by the ball fields, much more in the woods/bushes further east by the wooden walking bridge and along the Whatcom creek trail, all over where the city pushed the Orchard St. trail under I-5 from the Cornwall park area to James St, up in the woods north of Walmart on both sides along Tremont/Waldron Rd. Some of the motorhomes don't even run, and sit on the side of the road with urine and feces dribbling out into the street from their open greywater drains. The towing companies don't want to deal with the mess/liability/cleanup and avoids towing them unless they are on private property, and the owner/sheriff removes them and orders the tow. It's a mess and it's getting worse, I'd say the only thing that is going to keep it in check is the weather, it's getting cold and more of them will freeze to death. As I said before, no one wins.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:19 PM

493 posts, read 442,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieTX View Post
The writing is on the wall… We’re becoming Seattle 2.0. Bellingham’s geographical setting is to die for, but it’s depressing seeing our city deteriorate like this.

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Drove by Schweinhaus Brewery early last Saturday morning and there were half a dozen homeless sleeping on top the pub’s outdoor dining tables. If the patrons only knew..

If I stay here post retirement, it will not be in one of our core neighborhoods within walking distance to downtown. The urban lifestyle dream is dead..at least for me.
Stupid question... the police don't do a thing about this??!! This is allowed?

Old 11-12-2020, 09:36 AM

^^^
I've been listening in on a scanner at times, the police are working hard dealing with all the problem homeless. Just like SF though, the rest of the system is a revolving door. It's not uncommon to see the same names in police reports for drugs, public indecency, domestic dispute, assault, 2-3x in the same week. The homeless don't care if they go to jail it's free room and board. The one that broke a bunch of windows on the post office a year or two ago did it in the winter time on purpose so he could go to jail and get a warm place to stay and food.

Old 11-14-2020, 11:47 AM

467 posts, read 1,045,202 times
I was going to add some more photos of what’s happening to Bellingham, but I was only able to take this one, by City Hall, before this guy came running at me, yelling the usual profanities. He followed me as I attempted to take more pictures, but it was obvious an altercation was imminent if I stuck around.

If you’re moving here from Seattle, or Portland, or California because you think Bellingham is virgin territory free from the nasty effects of the liberalism you’re now trying to get away from, think again.
Attached Thumbnails
Bellingham, the ugly truth....-bd361c92-b4b1-4e2f-a38c-6e4fb6f382da.jpeg  

Old 11-15-2020, 04:24 PM

^^^ Yes they don't like people taking pictures and it makes it hard to get them. You're better off driving by in your car and take a "movie" with your phone, then copy images from it so you don't get attacked.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 AM

131 posts, read 323,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
^^^
I've been listening in on a scanner at times, the police are working hard dealing with all the problem homeless. Just like SF though, the rest of the system is a revolving door. It's not uncommon to see the same names in police reports for drugs, public indecency, domestic dispute, assault, 2-3x in the same week. The homeless don't care if they go to jail it's free room and board. The one that broke a bunch of windows on the post office a year or two ago did it in the winter time on purpose so he could go to jail and get a warm place to stay and food.
The temp labor agency we use told me they check the jail roster each morning to see who is unavailable for work that morning.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:22 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,823 times
In the past week Bellingham, Tacoma and Seattle has made international headlines in regards to protests, police, homeless etc.

A buddy of mine use to work at Bellingham city hall and knew the current mayor. He says mayor Seth Fleetwood allowed the homeless encampment at city hall months back since he has a big heart, but it's backfired on him now that the homeless are refusing to leave. Check out this article, it says 20 homeless people got in and he had to escape from the back door. They're a rough bunch of homeless people and they're not happy having to sleep outside in the elements when indoor accommodations can be made.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/washingto...torm-city-hall
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington