U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 PM

4 posts, read 17,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiahmooDude View Post
I would be happy to give you some insight as to "kid-friendly" Semiahmoo!

Admittedly, when I first visited the area about 10 years ago Semiahmoo was clearly a community of older individuals, namely retired folks from all over the United States and Canada. Since that time though, especially with the emergence of telecommuting, Semiahmoo has seen far more younger, upper middle class families moving in. Last month during the snowstorm we had numerous children out and about riding sleighs down the slopes on the golf course. It was fantastic!

During the summer months you will find numbers of kids swimming at the clubhouse pool, playing on the beach, or attending the summer golf camp.

In short, Semiahmoo is not only family-friendly, but a very very safe community - about as safe as it can possibly get! And even the older residents seem to really welcome the kids with smiles and waives.

As for the school system in Blaine, it is a solid district. (I speak from experience on this - I have years within the world of academia and am the proud father of two.) The bus ride can be a bit long - many Semiahmoo parents actually share in a car pool where they load up the kids and take them the 5 minute drive to the school.

South Bellingham is very nice as well - we visit there regularly, and almost purchased a home there not too long ago. Price is a bit higher, and the pace a bit faster, but all in all, an excellent area to call home.

Not quite the sights and sounds of Semiahmoo - but a close second!

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I think it just makes the decision harder. I agree with you that Semiahmoo is hard to beat for natural beauty. On the other hand, it's not very handy for shopping, medical appointments, etc.. After six years of having an hour's drive to get to the pediatrician, I'm kind of looking forward to having things close by.

If you took out the golf factor, would you still choose Semiahmoo over Bellingham?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 12:43 AM

1,319 posts, read 2,147,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
Yes, I have gotten some information on Bellingham schools from this website. One thing that puzzles me is: why are all the schools in the south part of Bellingham rated so much higher than the schools in the north part? It's the same district, and north Bellingham is hardly a ghetto, so I don't understand it.
I wish I could answer that but I am not very familiar with schools in Bellingham. I don't live in Bellingham but I am purchasing a vacation/retirement home in Sudden Valley and have researched the area with different priorities and schools wasn't one of them. I don't know about the relationship with schools and neighborhoods and why they are rated as such. I would go visit some of the schools when you have narrowed down your search so you can make your own opinion. My opinion on schools in general, from experience, is the Principal. IMO the Principal is the heart of the school. You will always get a teacher here and there that you don't quite like for your child but I always felt if the Principal was exceptional, so is the school. Good luck in finding a location and school that you like. It's tough!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:47 PM

489 posts, read 969,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
Yes, I have gotten some information on Bellingham schools from this website. One thing that puzzles me is: why are all the schools in the south part of Bellingham rated so much higher than the schools in the north part? It's the same district, and north Bellingham is hardly a ghetto, so I don't understand it.
My best educated guess is that the older schools are more well equipped with supplies and better, long term oriented teachers and staff. Seems like the newer schools get federally funded for the building, then they fill them up with whatever leavings the district happens to have kicking around, including some staff sorry to say
There is quite a difference between several schools due to the area's the students come from.
Sehome high draws off of the south B'ham area which is a higher income area. Bellingham high get's the western and central part of town, a older and more "affordable" area and the people that come with it. East side of town gets Squalicum high. It's the newest school and gets all the people from the east side.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:46 PM

234 posts, read 448,270 times
bellingham is ok sort of nice scenery, but weird at times

its cliquish -its snobby somewhat or bad -hard to make friends

you have friends or relatives in mental health system? could be wierd

some clinic denied a guy help here and he went berserk and the clinic was fined 20000 and director fired about 6 years ago, i heard

i heard they bragged they didnt help him -the man is a cousin of a famous family in town -so mental health affects the rich and poor or famous

later he got help i heard elsewhere

this town isnt geel ,Belgium i dont think

you can google that yourself and mental health

help for autistic probably bad as well-except if your blatantly retarded

Old 02-21-2009, 01:53 PM

234 posts, read 448,270 times
so you get the cold the rain the bleakness and the high prices

what the hell do i live here for?

i dont like the whole state

Kentucky hillbillies have more class and at least have a soul

Old 02-22-2009, 06:14 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,147,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Roy Slade View Post
so you get the cold the rain the bleakness and the high prices

what the hell do i live here for?

i dont like the whole state

Kentucky hillbillies have more class and at least have a soul

Kentucky hillbillies have more class and soul? I seriously doubt that very much. While WA state is not perfect and what place is but, I think Kentucky is a bad example when you use the words "class" and "soul". Not a fan of Kentucky. I will take WA ANYDAY over Kentucky and I am not an original Washingtonian.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:53 AM

53 posts, read 226,162 times
Default South Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac0978 View Post
I just wanted to know a little bit of everybody's views on it. You just make it sound so horrible. That is why I said try coming to South Phoenix, you will think you live in Paradise LOL
Why would you want to go to South Phoenix? Yes, lets get closer to the crime...That'll be good. North Phoenix is where you want to go. Your close to world class restaraunts, shopping, and great clubs.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:24 PM

10 posts, read 20,944 times
I have to agree 100% with RKCARGUY. Bellingham BITES. We are in our upper forties and have lived here for about ten years (both of us are Native Washingtonians). Everything costs more here, there is nowhere to shop (I have to go to Seattle to get clothes for work) because the mall here is SO awful. There isn't anything to do at night, unless you want to go to one of the run-down old theaters and see a movie. Wait, I take that back - if you are into going to clubs with "DJ Booger" or bands like "Three inches of Blood," then this is your place to party! Seriously, it's totally classless when it comes to nightlife. Someone mentioned museums...WHAT MUSEUMS?? The Radio Museum, or the Whatcom County Historical Society Museum? You gotta be kidding!
If you sail, it's a great place. But other than that, it's just crummy. Just look at the stats - they speak for themselves. Really high cost of living, really LOW median income. That says it all.
Greenery, I'm wondering where you get the "gorgeous sunny summers" thing? Last summer all but one of the concerts at Boulevard Park were rained out! August and September are typically nice, without much rain.
We5beckers, you crack me up saying "Seattle" is something to do in Bellingham! Seattle is two freaking hours away!! Yes, hiking and camping are great, and close by, but you can only do that a few months out of the year (unless schlocking through mud is your idea of a good time). Beach? What beach? Arts? What??? Seeing Bernadette Peters at the Mount Baker Theater? I don't call that "art."
We're working hard to get outa here...and it won't be soon enough!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:26 PM

69 posts, read 226,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedy View Post
Why would you want to go to South Phoenix? Yes, lets get closer to the crime...That'll be good. North Phoenix is where you want to go. Your close to world class restaraunts, shopping, and great clubs.

I was trying to make a point, people think Bellingham has horrible crime, all of Phoenix is 3 times worse in crime. Even North Phoenix has alot of crime. I have lived all over Phoenix.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:03 PM

489 posts, read 969,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamRez View Post
We5beckers, you crack me up saying "Seattle" is something to do in Bellingham! Seattle is two freaking hours away!! Yes, hiking and camping are great, and close by, but you can only do that a few months out of the year (unless schlocking through mud is your idea of a good time). Beach? What beach? Arts? What??? Seeing Bernadette Peters at the Mount Baker Theater? I don't call that "art."
We're working hard to get outa here...and it won't be soon enough!
It's almost funny, some flyer came out with 100 things to do in Whatcom county and all but 7 of them involved Seattle or Vancouver BC.
Housing is really weird right now, the market for homes under $300,000 is booming, listings are pending like crazy. I think people realize that now is the combination of the lowest interest rates and lowest prices we will see due to the coming 2010 Olympics. We already had an out of state investor come and buy up five(yes 5) new homes in our neighborhood expecting a 20% return come next year, sad thing is he will probably get it.
I see out of state plates every day, they keep coming. It's not going to stop as much as I'd like it to. The income tax free state keeps the baby boomers coming....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington