Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 AM

473 posts, read 1,698,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher peterson View Post
it is now 11-17-10 i am looking for a fresh start and relocate looking for employment in bellingham, my background is in mechanical engineering, equipment sales, and construction. i would enjoy any feedback on job opertunities, housing etc.
Lots of competition and just too costly to live and survive here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,587 times
Default thanks for the more feedback wanted

i am trying to read through the lines, many craigs list job adds, great you-tube videos.. yet many many - no job, high cost posts ? sounds as though locals dont want any more transplants. skilled labor, managers, sales????

Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher peterson View Post
i am trying to read through the lines, many craigs list job adds, great you-tube videos.. yet many many - no job, high cost posts ? sounds as though locals dont want any more transplants. skilled labor, managers, sales????
It isn't getting any better here economically.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:36 PM

41 posts, read 146,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
Lots of competition and just too costly to live and survive here
Did you make your move to the area?

We're looking at rural properties surrounding Bellingham including the Deming area.
Does anyone have any opinion about that location? I do realize it's on the way to Maple Falls.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewvdt View Post
Did you make your move to the area?

We're looking at rural properties surrounding Bellingham including the Deming area.
Does anyone have any opinion about that location? I do realize it's on the way to Maple Falls.
no not yet no $$$$ right now.
Maple Falls I heard that place is full of ruskies and lots of property crimes. Be careful.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,630,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray427 View Post
no not yet no $$$$ right now.
Maple Falls I heard that place is full of ruskies and lots of property crimes. Be careful.
Deming is not Maple Falls. BIG difference.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Deming is not Maple Falls. BIG difference.
I misread it as I saw Maple Falls on the way.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,692,981 times
Stingray is correct, the problem is still the cost of living/income ratio plain and simple. There are jobs and people are mislead by them, until they come here and find themselves only able to rent in ghettoville in town or buy out in the boonies and spend the rest of your money and time on gas and commuting.
Typically, to put it simple-you can count on this if you move here and work:
-You will make equal or less than national average for your education/experience.
-You will incur a cost of living ~120% of the national average. Choose overpriced house, or average home too far away + commute(gas $$$).
Any questions?

Old 12-20-2010, 05:48 PM

67 posts, read 208,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Stingray is correct, the problem is still the cost of living/income ratio plain and simple. There are jobs and people are mislead by them, until they come here and find themselves only able to rent in ghettoville in town or buy out in the boonies and spend the rest of your money and time on gas and commuting.
-You will make equal or less than national average for your education/experience.
-You will incur a cost of living ~120% of the national average. Choose overpriced house, or average home too far away + commute(gas $$$).
Any questions?

I'm shooting for the average house in the boonies. One reason is I prefer the boonies as I did when I bought this house 35 miles south of downtown Dallas. Traffic was never something I wanted to tolerate.

Secondly, I'm severly heat intolerant as well as sick of the flat ugly landscape.

With 800 dollar light bills in the summer and 400 in winter, that money will help offset any costs in Sudden valley, I'm hoping.

For me, the northwest is where I want to be. Yes, Dallas and the general DFW metroplex has or had good paying jobs and cheap cheap houses. I'm talking cheap as in 150 for 2500 sq feet and 1/2 acre. Taxes at around 3 thousand in Ellis county.

Still I want Washington, it is so beautiful I have to spend my remaining years there as opposed to the armpit of the nation.

Cheers and happy holidays
Charlee

Old 12-20-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Any questions?
It used to be at least down here in the SF Bay area the further you got away from the city the more house and land you could purchase and qualify for. The price one had to pay was the time in commuting.
Now times have changed for the worse as not only is the commute time consuming but it is very costly now with the price of gasoline and fares going up on public transportation. So now to commute to get a better home only gets worse in that you pay a fortune to commute and risk getting killed in a collision everyday

If it is mean't you can find work I wouldn't count the minimum wage jobs. There could be alot of those jobs around. One needs to make more than that to live comfortable for just the basic needs, food, shelter transportation. It all adds up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington