U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 11:17 PM

68 posts, read 131,612 times

Advertisements

I didn't think it was much of a storm, but still surprising in strength for August. It seemed like a moderate November type wind event. However, I've never been so concerned about a storm before. We had trees falling all around our house, with large booms echoing in the distance indicating VERY large trees were falling. In addition to the extreme leaf loss and typical branch pruning, I saw numerous 500lb and up weight limbs falling. They would snap like kiln dried lumber and explosively fail.

If we fail to receive a significant rainfall that softens that lumber up a bit, when November comes its going to be a week without power for us instead of just 12 hours yesterday. And it may be a weekly event for two months. I think everyone's' eyes opened up quite a bit after Saturday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 11:24 PM

1,236 posts, read 1,331,288 times
We took the bus from Fairhaven into downtown yesterday to spend the rainy afternoon going to museums and shopping. The wind, however, knocked out the power for everything west of State Street for most of the afternoon. Overall we saw a lot of branches down around town, but nothing huge. I did hear of a tree falling on a car full of people on Lakeway, but I think they were okay. Overall, nothing big around town- but a lot of power outages, and a lot of debris on the sidewalks and streets.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:45 PM

2,347 posts, read 1,411,107 times
Our power was out for 30 hours. As I walked up our driveway to get the mail, a big gir fell in the property across the road. We have acreage; we lost a few trees and dome branches. This is unusual for a storm of this type in August. It has been DRY. Very dry. Summer is not our rainy season ( the rest of the year is) but both Spring and summer have been unusually dry. Witness the fires in eastern Washington as some of our rain makes it over the Cascades.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:11 PM

27,313 posts, read 55,983,710 times
Lost a bunch of trees one year in January... it rained every day for 30 days and then the wind came... the reason was the ground was saturated from so much rain.

After that... I called a tree company and they pointed out some trouble spots and had those taken care of... one would have wiped out the house if it let go...

Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM

86,815 posts, read 80,024,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
Our power was out for 30 hours. As I walked up our driveway to get the mail, a big gir fell in the property across the road. We have acreage; we lost a few trees and dome branches. This is unusual for a storm of this type in August. It has been DRY. Very dry. Summer is not our rainy season ( the rest of the year is) but both Spring and summer have been unusually dry. Witness the fires in eastern Washington as some of our rain makes it over the Cascades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner;
Lost a bunch of trees one year in January.... it rained every day for 30 days, and then the wind came... the reason was the ground was saturated from so much rain.
So, do you all see this as part of the effects of global warming, or has something similar to this happened before? All those trees toppling on the Olympic Peninsula seems pretty freaky. I wonder if this is a harbinger of things to come...?

Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM

27,313 posts, read 55,983,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, do you all see this as part of the effects of global warming, or has something similar to this happened before? All those trees toppling on the Olympic Peninsula seems pretty freaky. I wonder if this is a harbinger of things to come...?
It's not so much the toppling of trees as the time of year when it occurred...

A family friend is considered by some the father of the modern Washington wine industry... when he started planting grapes decades ago the conventional wisdom was the climate was all wrong.

I saw him last summer and we had time to catch up... he said every year the quality and yield improves with the most recent breaking records...

As with most things... there are winners and losers...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-01-2015 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 02:21 AM

8,731 posts, read 10,455,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Property Tax is a wildcard in Washington... my property tax is now $1,000 per month... about the same as the mortgage.
Holy crap.. I pay a mere fraction of that and I was complaining. I lived in WA years ago and sometimes find myself wanting to go back, but then reading this reminds me it's best I stay away. Hope you guys get it sorted out!

Old 11-21-2015, 11:24 AM

58 posts, read 68,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoodBeHappy View Post
Bellingham is AWESOME!! It is the very things that make it a little difficult for you that have kept us from experiencing the ugly economic mess the rest of the country is in.
We are anti-sprawl (hence, higher home prices...heck, there are simply fewer homes to buy here) Gotta love a place that values it's NATURAL LANDSCAPE over the greed that consumed so much of the nation during the housing boom a few years ago.

We ARE more expensive, sure, but our quality of life is worth EVERY PENNY.
Hooray for Bellingham!
-Mimi
Hehe

Try living in San Francisco, now that it's .... 7 years after your post. Even garages are selling for over one million. It's all the transplants from Washington and Oregon driving up prices!

Old 11-21-2015, 02:02 PM

86,815 posts, read 80,024,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon_foonman View Post
Hehe

Try living in San Francisco, now that it's .... 7 years after your post. Even garages are selling for over one million. It's all the transplants from Washington and Oregon driving up prices!
Funny.... it's all the transplants from CA who are driving up rents and real estate in Port Townsend, Bellingham, and Seattle. Along with transplants from the NE.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,753 times
$1000 per MONTH in property taxes?! With a mortgage payment that is about the same? A $1000/month mortgage payment is a loan along the lines of $250K (if you were sensible and refinanced it when the rates were very low), which doesn't buy a whole lot of land or square feet in a home, which begs the question of how the property can be SO valuable to be taxed at such a high rate. I'm very skeptical of this, unless you have a home with a amazing view of the bay, or several acres of land, which ain't gonna be the case inside the city.

I own a small (1800 square feet) home with a modest back yard footprint, right on the edge of the Bellingham city limits, in a relatively nice neighborhood (Whatcom Falls), with no view other than the trees in the open space. My property taxes are about $3600 per *year*, and it's only that high because my home is pretty new and the plat is big (I have enough room to have put up a greenhouse, for example). I suspect that the most common property tax for an average family home in Bellingham is under $3000/year, or perhaps under even $2000/year, because most homes in town are smaller and don't have any kind of nice view at all.

I get that longtime Bellingham folks are unhappy with the housing shortage here. That really is a valid complaint. You can do something about that, though. Start getting active in your community and talking to the city council, instead of just sitting back and complaining. Those "transplants" from afar? They're going to keep coming. You should focus on growing our community in a manageable way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington