U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2015, 02:13 PM

2,509 posts, read 1,288,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzzy108 View Post
Those "transplants" from afar? They're going to keep coming. You should focus on growing our community in a manageable way.
It isn't manageable now. Its only going to get worse. The only sensible thing to do is to plan for no net growth. But that will never happen because it is sensible and doesn't line anyone's pockets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 08:57 PM

58 posts, read 68,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad1273 View Post
\
It's great for California retirees with a bundle of cash and lots of toys or for anyone who wants to live under government run by a cult. But I'm tired of being the "token liberal" at work and am looking for a more progressive place to live.
Vote for Obama....

Old 01-04-2016, 02:17 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,533,136 times
Many people who bought nice view or lakefront properties in the early 2000's on back, now deal with some crazy taxes. The base property tax in WA state is 1%, but levies and added fee's can make this upwards of 1.3% or more depending on location. If someone bought a place in the 350K range with lots of land and/or a bay view many years ago, it can easily hit the million dollar mark now and run you $1000/MONTH in taxes. The waterfront area south of Fairhaven is prime for this.
Real estate has rebounded once again, and is approaching bubble levels as far as the average listed home prices. This time however, there is a huge disparity in list prices and selling prices. Average list prices as of Dec 30th were $460,000, with the average selling price a far cry away at $292,000.
In the meantime, a recent study of 185 "metro's" comparing wage growth to costs of housing has Bellingham coming in dead LAST as the only place wages shrank, at -1.3% while prices rose up to 11% in some areas. There is literally no homes that are affordable to the average income family unless they step out to places like Maple Falls, Kendall, Deming, Sudden Valley, and so on, which have a long and often dangerous commute through only one route into town.
Bellingham has a long way to go in dealing with growth. We're **removing** lanes from busy roads and adding bicycle lanes while traffic piles up behind poorly timed lights, buses with no pullouts, people making left turns with no left turn lanes, and many "pinch points" well over capacity during peak hours that basically gridlock. Off ramps back up onto I-5 and cause nasty injury accidents. It's reactive at best. I'd really like to see the whole county be more pro-active as far as accommodating growth and they are anything but.

Old 01-06-2016, 09:43 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,062,826 times
I live in Sudden Valley and feel like I've found heaven. I love it! The people who bash it don't realize how incredible this place is. As more people move to Bham from Seattle (and they're coming -- my kiddos class had 8 new kids this year!), the prices are going to skyrocket here. A 15 minute scenic drive to town beats a 1.5 hour commute in Seattle any day. And my mortgage is twice a car payment! The other escaped urbanites I've met here feel the same way. We are happy!

Old 01-06-2016, 09:57 PM

86,763 posts, read 79,968,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I live in Sudden Valley and feel like I've found heaven. I love it! The people who bash it don't realize how incredible this place is. As more people move to Bham from Seattle (and they're coming -- my kiddos class had 8 new kids this year!), the prices are going to skyrocket here. A 15 minute scenic drive to town beats a 1.5 hour commute in Seattle any day. And my mortgage is twice a car payment! The other escaped urbanites I've met here feel the same way. We are happy!
I wish I'd known you were there before I visited B'ham last fall. I drove around town with a friend, and we headed out to the lake to check out Geneva and Sudden Valley, but I'm not sure we ever found S.V. Everything looked like an extension of B'ham, though, not like separate communities. And the lake looked smaller than I expected. Maybe we got the wrong lake...?? I've been considering a move to the area.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:24 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,938,201 times
Lake Whatcom is pretty large, but it's mostly long. So while looking across it doesn't look that impressive, it keeps going and going north to south. But of course it looks tiny compared Puget Sound.

Old 01-07-2016, 02:03 PM

33 posts, read 26,101 times
I never been to Bellingham and come to think of it I never been past Shorelineand I been living in Washington for 30 years just never felt the need to do drive up there. However I hear it nice put it not for me I rather stay on the East side since I grow up there.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:10 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,626,740 times
The Loonie is now below 70 cents. This could be a big ouch to the Bellingham area

Old 01-28-2016, 02:48 PM

24 posts, read 40,910 times
Because the US dollar is now so strong in Canada, Americans have been flocking there for shopping. I tried like heck to find some antique furniture in the Bellingham area but it's mostly junk or ridiculously overpriced. So off I went to Vancouver and purchased some antique pieces. With the exchange rate and considering the shipping cost, it was still a steal. No duty either.

At some point the Loonie will recover but they are saying another year or so before that happens. Costco isn't quite as busy and the hotels have more vacancies than ever. (then again, it's winter time.) People who have complained about the crush of Canadians often fail to consider the effect it has on Bellingham's economy.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:01 AM

86,763 posts, read 79,968,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagypsy59 View Post
Because the US dollar is now so strong in Canada, Americans have been flocking there for shopping. I tried like heck to find some antique furniture in the Bellingham area but it's mostly junk or ridiculously overpriced. So off I went to Vancouver and purchased some antique pieces. With the exchange rate and considering the shipping cost, it was still a steal. No duty either.

At some point the Loonie will recover but they are saying another year or so before that happens. Costco isn't quite as busy and the hotels have more vacancies than ever. (then again, it's winter time.) People who have complained about the crush of Canadians often fail to consider the effect it has on Bellingham's economy.
You can get some really good deals on antiques in Victoria and Vancouver. They're always surprised when the Yanks remark on how good the prices are. I think we should keep mum about that, lol, or suddenly we might start seeing markups when the tourist bus pulls into town, or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington