U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,308,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
Seriously? A bidding war for a Bellingham house? Dude, you got suckered. There's no way in hell I'd get into a bidding war for a Bellingham property. I'd do it for a place in Manhattan, but here?

My great grandparents came here after the Civil War to escape Reconstruction. You don't think we're a little prideful of OUR HOMETOWN? Don't you have a home town?

We're just a working class family watching our town become a ghetto. What happens is people like you move in driving property prices up and bringing in the leeches that always tend to follow you. It's like you're the ghetto builders.

By the way...your area code is a dead giveaway that you're a drifter and have zero connections to my town. Not that I care. We'll be here long after you've moved on.
I told you that my area code was Western NC, you just assumed that I was from Seattle and I set you straight. But who cares if I am from Seattle? FWIW I've lived in WA before, have family connections to the state, and my best friend who lives in Happy Valley was crucial to helping us find a place when we moved here. As you yourself used to say in posts on C-D- Bellingham is a great place. And I agree with you.

In terms of my house, I'm happy to have purchased before it was out of my price range. Anyway, I'm quite satisfied as I bought it for the long haul. So tell me why am I a leech for buying an old, run down house, or how I'm making it worse? I think it's a great investment. Do you even own a home here? Have you ever owned a house?

It's cool that your grandparents moved here so long ago, but ultimately, so what? You're a transplant too, you've just been here longer. You brag about traveling all around on earlier posts, but somehow when I move around and settle on the town that you promote, I'm the bad guy? Please.

As Arushan said, we all have our own definitions of what a Hometown is. For me, it's now Bellingham. For you, I don't know what to believe, especially after reading your earlier posts. Earlier in our conversation, you claimed that you wanted to move. And from the declaration in your post in June 2012, it doesn't even sound like you consider Bellingham to be your hometown....

YOUR WORDS:

06-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Baldy

61 posts, read 196,837 times

I left Fairfield---born in Bridgeport---over 30 years ago and still miss it. All my family and friends are either dead or long gone from CT, so I'd be a stranger there, except for that special hometown feeling.

There isn't a week that goes by that I kick myself for moving. Southern New England may not be perfect, but it will always be my true home.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24886979-post34.html

Last edited by bartonizer; 05-04-2017 at 02:55 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 10:23 PM

1,661 posts, read 2,136,926 times
Bellingham has become a very hostile place and is a shell of its former self. No housing and no industry. That's why everyone who's actually from here moves out to the county.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:01 AM

105 posts, read 258,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I told you that my area code was Western NC, you just assumed that I was from Seattle and I set you straight. But who cares if I am from Seattle? FWIW I've lived in WA before, have family connections to the state, and my best friend who lives in Happy Valley was crucial to helping us find a place when we moved here. As you yourself used to say in posts on C-D- Bellingham is a great place. And I agree with you.

In terms of my house, I'm happy to have purchased before it was out of my price range. Anyway, I'm quite satisfied as I bought it for the long haul. So tell me why am I a leech for buying an old, run down house, or how I'm making it worse? I think it's a great investment. Do you even own a home here? Have you ever owned a house?

It's cool that your grandparents moved here so long ago, but ultimately, so what? You're a transplant too, you've just been here longer. You brag about traveling all around on earlier posts, but somehow when I move around and settle on the town that you promote, I'm the bad guy? Please.

As Arushan said, we all have our own definitions of what a Hometown is. For me, it's now Bellingham. For you, I don't know what to believe, especially after reading your earlier posts. Earlier in our conversation, you claimed that you wanted to move. And from the declaration in your post in June 2012, it doesn't even sound like you consider Bellingham to be your hometown....

YOUR WORDS:

06-24-2012, 08:07 PM

Baldy

61 posts, read 196,837 times

I left Fairfield---born in Bridgeport---over 30 years ago and still miss it. All my family and friends are either dead or long gone from CT, so I'd be a stranger there, except for that special hometown feeling.

There isn't a week that goes by that I kick myself for moving. Southern New England may not be perfect, but it will always be my true home.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24886979-post34.html
That was my late wife....thanks for the memories. Hey guy, there's a world outside your bedroom. Go visit it.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 AM

105 posts, read 258,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Bellingham has become a very hostile place and is a shell of its former self. No housing and no industry. That's why everyone who's actually from here moves out to the county.
Very hostile in the county, too, but just spread out more than the city.

edit: hostile is a very apt description. I've lived in L.A. and NYC and while being dangerous cities, people tended to live their own lives like earning a living, etc. Here, as you pointed out, there's a lack of career jobs and opportunities, so the hostility is much more personal.

The older, successful families are in the 3rd generation and the great-grandkids are despots who control large fortunes.

Last edited by Baldy; 05-09-2017 at 09:49 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
That was my late wife....thanks for the memories. Hey guy, there's a world outside your bedroom. Go visit it.
Hey man, sorry about your wife. Seriously. I had no idea multiple people were using your account.

Listen, I have no idea what set you off, but consider chilling out on the generalizations about newcomers. I haven't done anything to disrespect "your town" and I'm no more of a drifter than you've been when living anywhere else in your life. You haven't refuted any of my points, you just keep trying to jab and insinuate that I'm in the wrong for wanting to be here and extol the virtues of Bellingham and the region. Get out of my bedroom more often? I'd venture to say that I travel and explore more of the area than most longtime residents, so I'm not sure what that means. I'm fascinated by the geography and history, and I'm quite appreciative to be here.

The comments about bad attitudes make no sense, though. It's not the newer residents who seem angry, in fact it's the opposite. Ironically, the only hostility that we've run into has been from people like you and waviking24, who have some misplaced anger issues. You were the one who attacked me, it wasn't the other way around.

I didn't take anyone's job, and like many others I brought it with me and plan on contributing to the local economy, regardless. I understand that a lot of anger in this country right now comes from the decimation of the middle class- but why are you blaming someone like me for it? Because I pursued further education when the industry I was in failed? Also, I get the fact that people are upset about the town changing, but everywhere around the country industrial/manufacturing bases are being converted to service and tourism. Frustrating, yes. But try to lighten up a little bit. I'm not here to trash the place; in fact quite the opposite....

Old 05-09-2017, 05:23 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,456,340 times
Well, here is an update. Anyone familiar with the Hirst Decision?
Well a group of individuals together with Futurewise, an anti-development environmental group, sued, claiming that water wells were drawing down river levels during dry months and affecting the fish.
Despite much backlash and lack of scientific support...the supreme court sided with Futurewise, forcing dozen of counties to enact moratoriums on new wells and to also deny permit applications for people looking to build on property with existing wells already in place. Some 6000 properties are tied up in limbo, where the owners purchased their land that was deemed good to build on, installed a well, only to now not be able to get a building permit.
One would think something like this would be more the likes of a Nazi or communist country, and that such injustice could not happen here. Think again. The moratorium was just extended 6 more months. Look into who resides on the growth management board....
Couple this with, what I feel is another housing bubble, low housing supply, and all the people moving here, and it's been a housing disaster as far as costs and rents. Bellingham had more pending sale listings than inventory for sale last month, and once again, guess how many units sold met affordability standards for the mean family income level? ZERO.

One thing everyone who reads my posts needs to understand, is that I've done ok and earn more income than average here. While it's not bad, things are and always have been really tight even on that. For the average family though, there is so much wrong here and it's all hidden under pictures of sunsets mountain views bay views and wine tasting advertised in Sunset Magazine. Reality is below average to average jobs, an owner occupied statistic almost HALF that of the rest of the nation, and the average home cost trending upwards of 9 TIMES the average annual income. I'm posting this reality for YOU. I know people who live here who want to leave and simply can't. Rent and basic expenses take every penny they have every month and they can't save up a down payment or even enough to move/relocate. A typical couple with children both have to work to afford a home, and then if there is no one in the family to cover childcare while they work they won't make it.
Many of the workers that come to work the turnarounds at the refineries are getting hotels or parking an RV in a park long term, and then leaving when the contract is up because housing is just to scarce and expensive. And yes, sadly a middle of the road hotel is par-to-cheaper for a month than a mortgage or house rental here.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Well a group of individuals together with Futurewise, an anti-development environmental group, sued, claiming that water wells were drawing down river levels during dry months and affecting the fish.
Despite much backlash and lack of scientific support...the supreme court sided with Futurewise, forcing dozen of counties to enact moratoriums on new wells and to also deny permit applications for people looking to build on property with existing wells already in place. Some 6000 properties are tied up in limbo, where the owners purchased their land that was deemed good to build on, installed a well, only to now not be able to get a building permit.
One would think something like this would be more the likes of a Nazi or communist country, and that such injustice could not happen here. Think again. The moratorium was just extended 6 more months. Look into who resides on the growth management board....
Couple this with, what I feel is another housing bubble, low housing supply, and all the people moving here, and it's been a housing disaster as far as costs and rents. Bellingham had more pending sale listings than inventory for sale last month, and once again, guess how many units sold met affordability standards for the mean family income level? ZERO.

One thing everyone who reads my posts needs to understand, is that I've done ok and earn more income than average here. While it's not bad, things are and always have been really tight even on that. For the average family though, there is so much wrong here and it's all hidden under pictures of sunsets mountain views bay views and wine tasting advertised in Sunset Magazine. Reality is below average to average jobs, an owner occupied statistic almost HALF that of the rest of the nation, and the average home cost trending upwards of 9 TIMES the average annual income. I'm posting this reality for YOU. I know people who live here who want to leave and simply can't. Rent and basic expenses take every penny they have every month and they can't save up a down payment or even enough to move/relocate. A typical couple with children both have to work to afford a home, and then if there is no one in the family to cover childcare while they work they won't make it.
Many of the workers that come to work the turnarounds at the refineries are getting hotels or parking an RV in a park long term, and then leaving when the contract is up because housing is just to scarce and expensive. And yes, sadly a middle of the road hotel is par-to-cheaper for a month than a mortgage or house rental here.
All valid points, and all significant problems in this area. But I must point out, the overall housing problem is not all that unique to Bellingham- though parts of it- like the owner occupied stat and growth management policy- are obviously significant and higher here than in other areas.

Around the country, wages haven't gone up while housing prices have skyrocketed. Plus, since the recession builders have primarily limited new construction to apartments and high-end homes, making inventory even more limited. We experienced this in CO, and I know people around the country running into the same problem. There may be a market correction, but I don't know if I see a bubble on the way- the demand is high, inventory is low, and the prices are still low compared to other areas in the west. But it's definitely bad for people in the area and those moving to the area. And something needs to be done. But it's ridiculous to get mad (as some posters have) at people from other areas for wanting to live here.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 AM

1,661 posts, read 2,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post

All valid points and us locals have seen it coming for awhile now. This is what happens when a city's economy is built entirely almost upon a college and breweries. Hey, but at least we made the top spot on most hungover cities in America! The city council must be proud.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:50 AM

408 posts, read 263,169 times
Housing price inflation is certainly not limited to Bellingham. Globally, hundreds of cities have experienced a rapid increase in their housing affordability index. This report provides data for cities around the world, including Bellingham:

Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

These 2016 data show Bellingham's affordability index at 5 (for comparison, Vancouver, BC is at 11.8), but gives the city an international affordability ranking of 300 out of 406 cities cited. That's pretty high, and I think it has been influenced by a couple of factors: Clearly, demand for Bellingham houses has exceeded supply for a while, and mortgage interest rates have been too low for too long, which has driven up home prices everywhere.

My point is, it's a problem that extends well beyond B'ham.

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2017 at 06:19 AM..

Old 05-12-2017, 11:40 PM

1,941 posts, read 3,046,195 times
Seattle continues to spread outward as more people find it difficult to purchase homes and suffer the daily commute. Bellingham will see a lot of these transplants, and as they move here, the economy will also change. Once a few tech companies relocate, this place will transform. Bellingham already has the bones for this -- a hospital and good medical network, airport and train access, numerous hotels, developing waterfront, proximity to Seattle and Vancouver, etc... We also have stunning views, a nearby mtn for winter sports, the bay and lakes for water sports, several gorgeous parks, great access to nature or farms, coffee shops, breweries, independent stores of all types, a fairly educated population, a university, a ferry to Alaska, etc... stuff that high tech hipsters find valuable. People are snatching up homes because we offer great quality of life and will be THE place to be. What may be unaffordable to some is considered smart investment to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington