U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2017, 04:51 PM

729 posts, read 467,817 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'd like to know also.....would like to move north of Seattle but wonder if some of the problems have spread north (tents, homeless, crime, crowds).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 03:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 3,544,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcat33 View Post
Wow, evidently there's two lord high chamberlains of the state. I've lived in Bellingham for over a year now and always felt welcomed by the locals. But why don't instead of you taking out your growing pains on EVERYONE you concentrate on the people moving there that actually harm your way of life. Im a welder from Texas and i moved my family to Washington because of how unsafe Texas has become due to illegal immigration, and the fall out it's caused by looking the other way. You know....that giant elephant in the room that you can't talk about anymore because it might hurt someones feelings. But ofcourse anyone whos lived in the South knows how bad its gotten and im not going to have my daughter grow up around a bunch of two bit thugs like i had to. You only think you have it bad......because you have no earthly idea how bad it can get. You don't have mexican gangs trafficking your children.....yet, buying up your ranches.......yet, or infiltrating your city officials......yet. That sir is something you should certainly be proud of. Moderator cut: personal attack....I suppose your just too entitled to accept the fact that this is indeed a country.......and theres nothing wrong with legal citizens moving to a different state within that country......granted there not doing something far worse than adding to your traffic problem. Just food for thought but maybe im just speaking as a veteran whos lived in five different states
robcatt....you are going to get a lot of passive/aggressive, brainwashed, fully indoctrinated, PC lib's here in Seattle area. Who live in their little bubbles in Ballard and have no clue how much of CA, the southwest, and Texas has been turned into a big giant slum the last 50 yrs by illegals. They live in complete denial of the blighted neighborhoods, gangs, crime, terrible schools, etc.. that have come of it, and see it all as great progress forward.

I say we build a nice 5,000 unit special low income apartment complex sanctuary for illegals in a nice part of Ballard? How about it?

Old 12-28-2017, 12:30 PM

86,843 posts, read 80,084,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan2 View Post
This thread is from 2007. What's the status of Bellingham now?
The last nearly 10 pages have been from the current year (2017). You can get plenty of up-to-date info here.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Yes, I'd like to know also.....would like to move north of Seattle but wonder if some of the problems have spread north (tents, homeless, crime, crowds).
One thing you won't find in B'ham is crowds. Another thing you may have trouble finding is job, hence: no crowds.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:28 PM

439 posts, read 287,622 times
The current unemployment rate in Bellingham is 4.4 percent, which is considered full employment by economic standards, although that rate is a little higher than Seattle, and the U.S. overall. I agree that crowds are never a problem in B'ham, like you find in Seattle. We are mostly only in Bellingham during the summer, but even during that busy time of year the crowd levels are very manageable.

Old 12-30-2017, 06:15 AM

1,941 posts, read 3,065,113 times
We do not have a lot of professional jobs outside of the university or healthcare.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartIrish View Post
The current unemployment rate in Bellingham is 4.4 percent, which is considered full employment by economic standards, although that rate is a little higher than Seattle, and the U.S. overall. I agree that crowds are never a problem in B'ham, like you find in Seattle. We are mostly only in Bellingham during the summer, but even during that busy time of year the crowd levels are very manageable.
The only place you find crowds in Seattle is downtown, and maybe on Capitol Hill on weekends. It's not like it's a big issue.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:50 PM

91 posts, read 82,533 times
I'll offer my personal insight / opinion... Bellingham's #1 asset is it's geographical location. The trails both in and outside of the city are amazing and the best part about living here as far as I'm concerned. The water views are spectacular. The access to Canada or the San Juan Islands is a plus. Access to the community college, WWU, Bellingham Technical College are all positive points. We love hiking the trails here - the only downside for us has been the frequent smell of pot in the air on the trails and state parks. Kind of ruins that wonderful rush of clean, crisp ocean or forest air in your lungs.

But... I'm seeing an all-too-familiar shift in Bellingham - similar to what I witnessed in Seattle, particularly West Seattle, with the Microsoft boom. Housing, in my opinion, is the most challenging issue here. Overpriced. Generic (as in so much of the new development look like cookie cutter plans for both houses and apartments). Most of the apartments or "condos" look the same to me and they are everywhere... If you've see one floor plan, you've seen them all. The rental market here was designed for students, in my opinion. Not for families. Other rentals or developments are for 55 & over (and many of those weren't thought out well with stairs/multiple stories and no elevators). New housing developments literally look like someone could reach their arm out of their window and touch their neighbors house, they are packed in so closely. Just enough yard for their dog to do his/her business in (and you'd better be a dog lover and not mind living in a complex with multiple dog owners who don't give a hoot if their dog is barking, and they don't pick up after their dog - many leave their little plastic bags of poop on the side of the trail... What do they think? That the city of county has a special division to pick up their dog's crap?! I love dogs but I love responsible and courteous dog owners even more!) We've seen a huge number of newcomers to the state move into our complex and the one, recurring thing we've witnessed over time is they don't pay any attention to the recycling bins or instructions. Our neighbors are from Texas and they've gone on and on about how much they love it here - how beautiful it is - and yet they stuff their cardboard boxes in with the garbage. They remodeled the unit they bought and filled one half of the dumpster with huge garbage bags leaving no room for all of the tenants/owners in our section. I guess it's that kind of behavior / me-me-me attitude that I hate to see growing here. But, that's how it is everywhere it seems anymore...

A one income family will have a difficult time buying a home here and, if renting, expect a good portion of your income to be eaten up by the ever-increasing rental prices. Internet is more expensive here than we have found in other locations. Traffic is increasingly getting worse in some areas... Try Sunset / Barkley area at 5 pm, or Guide Meridian. Side streets where new development is currently taking place will not be able to handle the amount of new drivers / cars added to the area. Trying to cross Cordata off of June road has gotten more difficult as people drive way over the 35 mph speed limit and with the increase in traffic. We found drivers here to be quite courteous when we first moved here, but we're seeing a big shift as time goes on. Impatient, speeding, tailgating, honking, parking spot "thieves". For the size of Bellingham, I think it is very crowded in some areas... Fred Meyer on Bakerview or Costco or Wal-Mart can get excessively overcrowded. We're finding it increasingly frustrating to go shopping and often / repeatedly find the items we needed were sold out / not available. I don't know if that's due to an increase in Bham population or Canadian shoppers, but we're noticing it more and more often.

Homeless? There is a large homeless community here in Bellingham. I always wonder about people who are concerned and ask about this... What is it? They don't want to see the reality of our times? I recently took my son to see firsthand how some of Bellingham's homeless are living. I wanted him to be aware - it's all too easy to see a panhandler on the street or a tipped over grocery cart outside of a wetland area and not give a second thought as to how that person is living. There are encampments near PeaceHealth off of Cordata and you can see the "campers" / homeless surface from time to time outside of the wooded areas. We walked behind the habitat store off of Cornwall and there are tent homes erected along Whatcom Creek that I'm sure a lot of people don't even know about. It's tragic to see. Difficult to know that this is how our fellow man is living... especially with the frigid temps.

Our experience is that people are pleasant and for the most part kind here... but it is hard to establish strong ties with others (in our opinion). I really think it has to do with the overabundance of crowded, multi-family housing. People don't have a yard to work in, so they're not outside much to interact with one another. They come home, park their car, walk to the mailbox and then go inside and slam their doors... and do it all over again the next day. To become a part of this community, you have to make a real effort to get involved in something to meet others. That may be church, a volunteer group, etc. There are plenty of churches and volunteer opportunities for a variety of religious, political, philosophical beliefs.

We moved to Bellingham with high hopes of building a life here and giving of ourselves to the community. Things were going well the first year until our housing situation changed (landlord decided to "cash in" and sell our rental)... We looked to buy - darling house on Lummi Island that was affordable but extremely challenging commute wise for our situation (the mortgage would have been great, but almost $400/mo just for the ferry cost... and the unreliability of depending on the ferry). So now, we are back to where we were just 18 months ago... trying to find reliable, affordable housing... like everyone else. We thought this would be our last major move, that Bellingham would be our "forever" home. It's not looking like that will happen. We will be priced out unless one of us can make a huge bundle of money. For all of the "hippy", earthy, liberal appeal of Bellingham, it's changing. I'm not a super liberal nor would I say I'm a conservative... pretty middle-of-the-road... but I'm seeing Bham shift slowly but surely. I used to love Seattle - lived in West Seattle for years and never wanted to live anyplace else. But it changed - you couldn't pay me enough money to live in the Seattle area today. I've just got this awful feeling that Bellingham is going in a similar direction... it won't be immediate, but the housing market changes here have been a real eye opener for me. I suppose this is a great place to move for someone with the cash to buy or invest in Bham - or for students (wonderful place to attend college), but as I continue to age and make plans for my future, I don't think Bellingham is where I can afford to stay. We're a bit heartbroken, but plan on enjoying it here and contributing positively (hopefully) during our time here... I just can't allow myself to get too attached as I do think we'll be priced out of this area.

Hope some of this is helpful to those of you wondering about the area.

Last edited by momma4evr; 01-01-2018 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: needed to add additional info

Old 01-01-2018, 11:37 PM

Momma4evr, we moved from NC to Seattle in 2003, then to Bham in 2015. I think most of your observations are true and can be generalized to urban areas up and down the West coast. We should have bought in Seattle in 2003 but didn't, and we eventually had to leave once we were entirely priced out of the West Seattle market. We were able to buy an older, dated home in sudden Valley for only 240K and jumped on the move. Eventually families will be priced out of Bham and even SV, but it's not there yet. Yes, buyers have to lower their expectations if they want to pay <400K. Yes, the house may be generic and/or dumpy or further from dowtown or nestled in the trees. But -- buying is doable right now if u are willing to sacrifice something. The homeless and somewhat rundown feel of downtown are present now but will lessen with time. Gentrification will happen, though hopefully not to the same extent as West Seattle. We are between BC and Seattle, we are surrounded by water and gorgeous views, the waterfront is actively undergoing planned revitalization, and the Seattle suburbanites are now commuting from Marysville and Arlington and Burlington and even Bham. You can't rely on the rental market to provide you security -- rentals are someone else's investment and the owners expect the value (and thus rent cost) to grow. Seattle holds a percentage of their housing for renters and look what has happened -- highrise microunits that obscure the view, clog the roads, steal all of the parking and create a deadened, soulless feel. I hate what Seattle is becoming.

Old 01-01-2018, 11:45 PM

Want to add that I am not bashing the homeless. I work with homeless people with mental illness and know that much of what you see is related to drug use. Some make it a lifestyle, others just don't know how or can't hold a job. I used to visit homeless camps around West Seattle and at one time there were 10 children living in one, including a newborn. Homelessness is a tragic problem and I think housing for children needs to be prioritized. There are not enough charities or social programs to solve this problem, but it is prevalent on the entire coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington