U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2018, 09:17 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,416,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Moved back from Hawaii...
Thinks 350k is affordable for people who actually live and work in Whatcom County...

Right...
Median price of a home in Bellingham this summer was $400k. She lived in Honolulu four years after being transferred from Seattle. Her realtor said many people who buy in Bellingham are investors, many from out of the country. She was outbid a number of times. Welcome to the ever gentrifying of Bellingham. No, $350k is not affordable but demand pushes the price up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 03:57 PM

86,843 posts, read 80,084,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
Median price of a home in Bellingham this summer was $400k. She lived in Honolulu four years after being transferred from Seattle. Her realtor said many people who buy in Bellingham are investors, many from out of the country. She was outbid a number of times. Welcome to the ever gentrifying of Bellingham. No, $350k is not affordable but demand pushes the price up.
This isn't good. Not good news at all.

Is this the beginning of the Vancouverization of B'ham?

Old 02-03-2018, 08:38 PM

2,353 posts, read 1,416,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This isn't good. Not good news at all.

Is this the beginning of the Vancouverization of B'ham?
Could be. There is currently an added tax on homes purchased by foreign investors. You have probably heard that Vancouver median price is 1 million dollars. I just read where Seattle is $730k and the east side is in the $900k neighborhood. I can’t remember exact numbers now.

I wish Washington would impose the same tax.

Old 02-06-2018, 03:59 PM

2,140 posts, read 1,539,690 times
That is my fear as well, that Seattle and Vancouver's house pricing will expand outward, meeting in the middle. That kind of values and the taxation that goes with it would certainly be the final straw for most working people except the upper class.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
That is my fear as well, that Seattle and Vancouver's house pricing will expand outward, meeting in the middle. That kind of values and the taxation that goes with it would certainly be the final straw for most working people except the upper class.
I've spent some time looking at RE listings in Vancouver, BC. It's interesting; every house whose listing I've viewed, from high-end to typical Seattle-style bungalows, has a rental apartment in the basement. They're ALL set up for extra income-earning. I'm surprised so many basements have ceilings high enough for an apartment. But clearly, this is how people manage to stay in their homes, as property taxes rise.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:45 AM

This is true, you can rent out some hole in the wall for $1000+ easily up there.
An acquaintance of mine has a home on acreage up there about 30 mins outside of Vancouver, nothing special it's an old house passed down from family. There is an accessory dwelling with about 8 small units in it, and two more single wide mobile homes that together must bring in $8k a month, it's crazy.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:29 PM

Getting to be some pretty heavy traffic anymore, and all that which goes with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bellingham, the ugly truth....-morons3.jpg   Bellingham, the ugly truth....-morons2.jpg   Bellingham, the ugly truth....-morons9.jpg   Bellingham, the ugly truth....-morons8.jpg   Bellingham, the ugly truth....-0108-20i5-20crash-20folo1.jpg  

Old 02-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Getting to be some pretty heavy traffic anymore, and all that which goes with it.
Have you noticed that in all those photos, the highway was completely clear with no cars on it at all, beyond a certain point? It's obvious (especially in the first photo, where there are flashing red lights of police and possibly emergency vehicles) that the photos were taken after an accident that blocked the roadway.

Nice try at getting us to swallow fake news, though.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
This is true, you can rent out some hole in the wall for $1000+ easily up there.
An acquaintance of mine has a home on acreage up there about 30 mins outside of Vancouver, nothing special it's an old house passed down from family. There is an accessory dwelling with about 8 small units in it, and two more single wide mobile homes that together must bring in $8k a month, it's crazy.
I always had a rental unit of some kind, in Seattle. It's the only way to manage the mortgage and taxes, unless you have a dual-income household. But even if you did, why pay a mortgage yourself, when you can get renters to pay it for you, or the bulk of it? I've always been in favor of having strangers pay my mortgage for me. I look for properties with rental potential.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Have you noticed that in all those photos, the highway was completely clear with no cars on it at all, beyond a certain point? It's obvious (especially in the first photo, where there are flashing red lights of police and possibly emergency vehicles) that the photos were taken after an accident that blocked the roadway.

Nice try at getting us to swallow fake news, though.
I have plenty of traffic pictures, don't worry. These are only what I already have in my computer and these are the "what comes with it", which is accidents. The rest of the pics need to come from my phone which is a bear because for some reason they all have to be 5-6MB in size and the dumb thing won't let me reduce them without editing them on a PC. For some reason, this week we've had a fairly clean record on I-5 so far. For the past couple months, it seemed like everyday between 4-5:30pm there was a wreck that clogged things up. I don't feel like we are at a Seattle point with our traffic yet, but the mix of Canadians, the Elderly, Semi-truck traffic which flies though town, and the rest of us seems to be the perfect storm for wrecks and backed up traffic, more-so than many other area's.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 02-09-2018 at 03:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington