Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:24 AM

210 posts, read 498,868 times

Advertisements

I would like to buy a house on Whatcom Lake area. Could you, guys, tell us some info about this area? climate, people, whatever possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,102,730 times
Hi Swede in CA. Here are many threads on City-Data which could answer some of your questions:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=5776755

Here's the stats page of City-Data on B'ham:
Bellingham, Washington (WA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 06-06-2008, 06:36 PM

21 posts, read 76,426 times
I'm from that exact area. It's a wonderful place to live--the people are friendly and open minded, the climate is definitely better than the Seattle area--Bellingham gets a lot more sunny days. However, come winter, you will get some snow. We got up to three feet one year and the whole town basically shut down. As to the housing market, I hear it's exploded and that homes are tremendously over priced. I believe that. I've noticed that home prices have soared in the area on my visits back. Whatcom Lake is a great place to live. You're just minutes from downtown B.ham, a walk away from Whatcom Falls Park (lots of trails for running!), and the lake is full of fun. And there are some great resturants in the area--Japanese, Italian, and Bob's Burgers and Brew (a must!). Unfortunately, gas prices there are some of the highest in the state, but I still think it's worth it to live there. I still miss it.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 PM

25 posts, read 139,554 times
I too am looking at this area, visited earlier this year, and am returning next month for further investigation. A woman at the visitors' center alerted me to the Sudden Valley area, so I took a long drive around and have been receiving some listings of properties in that part of Bellingham.

Since you're from CA, you may not find property prices too overwhelming. I'm coming from CO and haven't had too much sticker shock so far. I'm on a fairly tight budget, but it seems "do-able." Of course, I don't have the historical background on real estate values there for comparison.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 AM

If I move to Sudden Valley, my job will be in Blaine area. How is traffic from and to Sudden Vallley to Blaine? I am looking for the home up to max $500K. What area in Suddent Valley (Silver Beach) could accomodate my limit? Where better to be with 11 y old girl?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 PM

Traffic from Sudden Valley to Blaine is not bad. On the weekends you'll see worse traffic heading north/south on I5 due to Canadians coming down here to shop. It will take you about 30 minutes to get to Blaine from the Sudden Valley area. Not a bad run. What will take you the most time will be city street traffic until you get to the freeway.

I don't know about the type of home you're looking for, you'll need to consult a realtor for that, but as to where I would raise a child--I'd pick Sudden Valley over Blaine any day!!! Blaine is a border town--it is "nice", but not without it's problems (crime, unemployment, drugs). Sudden Valley is nicer and the schools in the area are GREAT!
You'll love the teachers, the activites available for your daughter, and the people.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM

Thank you very much for your reply. I will start to look closely for a place. I think about a home with 3-4 bedroom, no more than 2,500-,2600 sq f.

We are passionate mt. bikers, and hikers. I am so tired from the rat race in CA.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:55 PM

Larrabee State Park is definitely a place you will want to go once you move--great hiking and mt. bike trails. It's just south of B.ham off Chuckanut Drive. You can also do the same at Mt. Baker, just a 40 minute drive from Bellingham/Sudden Valley. And there are trails all through the city (called the Interurban Trail). (I used to do my grocery shopping via the trail system with my bike.) And all the trails converge at Whatcom Falls park, just down the road (about a block away) from Lake Whatcom/Bloedel Donovan Park.

And there's very little rat racing in B.ham. The main thoroughfare (Guide Meridian) is about as close as you will get to CA traffic (l lived in LA for two years). Avoid that as often as you can!

You will love Bellingham. I hope you find the perfect home for you and your family.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM

365 posts, read 692,427 times
Hi Swede in CA! I live in Sudden Valley and absolutely love it here! There are a lot of houses for sale out here I've noticed, so I don't think you'll have a problem finding something in your range.
The community out here is basically friendly. They have a new gym and activity center for the youth out here, a lot of ongoing programs for all ages. I think you'll really like it here. The drive to Blaine is true from the others, its not too bad. It will really depend the time of day you'll be driving in and out to Blaine. One plus about working in Blaine is that you'll find cheaper priced gas up there than in Bellingham!
You'll be in hiking and mountain biking heaven up here!
Hope you like Bellingham and find your perfect home, too!

Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 PM

7 posts, read 35,877 times
My wife and I have been living in Whatcom County, WA for about 4 years. My advice is to take your time and really research and visit different cities, towns, and neighborhoods in Whatcom County before making your choice where to move to. You can use Mapquest to see how far your commute to work would be and approx how much time it would take.

Whatcom County is beautiful and an awesome place to live, but it rains here alot for 7 months of the year.

Last edited by Timberwolf5578; 06-25-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington