U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 02:06 PM

597 posts, read 1,783,999 times

Advertisements

Okay, I can't hold back the excitement any longer. The Cougs are ranked #22 in the AP poll! They haven't been ranked in basketball since 1983, so this is almost unreal for Coug fans and alumni out there. I graduated 2 years ago, but was a witness to the improvement under Dick Bennett, but now that his son Tony has took over, the rebuilding project is complete. All I can say is WOW. We've beaten some seriously good teams already and played #1 UCLA down to the wire (leading for nearly 3 quarters of the game). Despite being placed last in the Pac-10 in preseason polls, the Cougs are now a force to be reckoned with in the Pac-10, and for once it isn't football (even though I wish it still was ). Oh, and BTW, they are ranked 1 place higher than our arch-nemesis UW. Man, the WSU-UW game this year will be SWEET .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 03:14 PM

454 posts, read 633,937 times
Anything that is good for Washington is good for Washington. having three good basketball programs is a plus. That said, the cougs have an uphill trip, much like the dogs in gaining the respect of the country, which translates to quality players in depth. Let's just hope that these quality players don't want to visit pullman prior to committing hehehe just had to get that one in there.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dufferz View Post
...Let's just hope that these quality players don't want to visit pullman prior to committing hehehe just had to get that one in there.
Haha, good one! I know Pullman doesn't really get a lot of people's blood-flowing, but it really grows on you after you live there for a while. Much more sense of community there than any other campus I've been to. But yeah, it's great to see how we have 3 programs that are doing a pretty good job at gaining national attention lately (WSU, UW, GU). It's all good news for our state. It just helps you appreciate the growing rivalries between these once lame programs and how much is on the line now when they play. Pretty sweet IMO .

Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Okay, this is shameless. I'm just trying to keep it in the headlines .

Old 01-09-2007, 09:55 AM

454 posts, read 633,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdizzle View Post
Okay, this is shameless. I'm just trying to keep it in the headlines .
How come on. We are all family here. Stop holding back your true feelings and tell us what you really think!

Old 01-11-2007, 10:40 PM

Another impressive win tonight--total domination of California. Oh and I can't forget to mention the Dawgs lose a nail biter to Stanford, officially demoting them from ranked status...I love it!!!

Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 PM

Wow, I just had to post on this thread again. The title by the AP summed it up best:

Huskies blown out by Cougs, 75-47
Washington State, playing before the biggest home crowd in 24 years, jumped to an early lead and held Washington scoreless for nearly 9 minutes in the first half to take a surprisingly easy win.

Washington came in averaging 83.4 points per game, 11th in the nation. Washington State leads the Pac-10 in defense, allowing 58 ppg. Washington's lowest output of the season had been 64 against Arizona State.

As much as I wanted this to be a fun, exciting rivalry game like the Apple Cup. I have to admit how sweet it was that my Cougs absolutely dominated tonight. Enjoy it Cougs!

Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 PM

Yet another huge win for the Cougars yesterday against #25 Stanford.

Cougars earn 1st 20-win season since 1994
"Real physical, a Big Ten meat-grinder," said his son Tony, the WSU coach. "I don't know if it was as good of defense as I've seen, but it was one of our better efforts."

One of them? Imagine how it feels to score two baskets — two — in 29 possessions in the middle of the game, which is what happened to Stanford.

The end game was WSU's 20th victory against four losses, a 9-3 record in the Pac-10, the first home win against Stanford in 12 years and a little firmer grip on second place in the league.
"That's a good basketball team, a very good basketball team," said Johnson. "They deserve their ranking [14th]. They're probably going to be ranked higher."

Brace yourself, but these guys think there could be more to this thrill ride. Asked if chasing down first-place UCLA is a possibility, Clark said, "I think about it every night. Even in the weight room when we break, we say, 'Pac-10 championship!'

"It's a very realistic goal for us."

We'll see...

Old 02-09-2007, 10:18 PM

47 posts, read 206,533 times
Yes, indeed...great to see. I was on the athletic dept staff back in the George Raveling days, now a long time retired. We went to the big dance in '80 and '83...got bounced by Penn in the first round in '80 when our star Don Collins fouled out with a lot of game time left, then pushed out by a pretty good Virginia team in '83. Like to see them make a run at the title this year, but do they have the depth.

Old 02-10-2007, 01:33 AM

103 posts, read 455,483 times
like every other "fabulous" team from pullman, this team will NOT measure up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or