Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:29 PM

485 posts, read 1,954,866 times

Advertisements

Looking for an upscale bed&breakfast or boutique hotel (or a couple) for an upcoming vacation. Maybe some of you Seattlites who get away for the weekend can suggest your favorite locales?

My parents recently stayed at the James House in Port Townsend. They loved the B&B, but said that there wasn't as much to do in PT as they thought there might be. Mom keeps suggesting Quinault Lodge, but I think I want to be on the ocean.

I would be quite happy with a B&B or boutique hotel that has
- good linens
- is very clean
- not decorated too fussily (not a huge fan of Victorian places, but I know some of those have more modern decorated rooms)
- serves things like poached pears and homemade scones for breakfast
- has a nice view of the water (not nec from our particular room) and a place where I can sit in a chair on the lawn and watch the ferries and the clouds go by....read a book on the porch
- in a little town (or a small-townish feeling part of Seattle) with some shops or cafes that we can walk to and get a sandwich or salad

I can either do a B&B for 5 nights if it is located close-ish or in Seattle, or we can do 2 or so at a quiet little town/island and 2 or so in Seattle. Some excursions we're planning are a ferry to Victoria for the day out of Port Angeles and a Mariners game one night.

Suggestions please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 10:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,062,212 times
If you want to watch ferries, you might not be in a place that also has cafes. It's a matter of population. Your mom's idea of the Quinault Lodge is something that those of us who live here might love; however, there is nothing nearby except a lake and forests, elk, deer, bears, eagles...

Things like "poached pears and homemade scones" might be available in expensive B&Bs, so be prepared.

Friday Harbor is a strong possibility. You might also Google B and B Whidbey Island, or Fidalgo Island, or Orcas Island, or San Juan Island. There is one higher-end establishment at the northern end of Guemes Island.

If you want to stay on the Olympic Peninsula, the strongest possibilities for the higher-end type of place you're looking for might be in Sequim or Port Angeles, maybe Port Townsend. There are more in the Crescent Lake and Sol Duc areas, both being breathtakingly beautiful areas and views, but they won't be on the water, and there aren't any ferries to watch, only elk, deer, eagles, maybe bears.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,257,766 times
If you're going to be in Victoria already, take a ferry from the Victoria area over to the Canadian Gulf Islands. Spectacularly beautiful, and pretty close to Victoria.
Here's one place on Galiano Island, one of the nicest of the Gulf Islands:

BELLHOUSE INN | GALIANO ISLAND

Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 PM

For your travel from the U.S. to Canada, you will need documentation -- both to be granted entry to Canada, and to be granted entry to the U.S. Here are the links for the accurate information:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...uver-trip.html

Old 06-08-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
If you're going to be in Victoria already, take a ferry from the Victoria area over to the Canadian Gulf Islands. Spectacularly beautiful, and pretty close to Victoria.
Here's one place on Galiano Island, one of the nicest of the Gulf Islands:

BELLHOUSE INN | GALIANO ISLAND
Thanks...looks lovely, except you have to rent the whole house for a whole week! But that looks exactly like something that would be nice for a couple of days.

I've been reading tripadvisor.com about B&Bs in Port Angeles, Port Townsend and Sequim. Seems there are some strange personalities running some of them based on some people's reviews! I wanted to sort of avoid that kind of thing by asking you all if there were certain places that you frequent (inns or B&Bs) that I can get first hand experience relayed.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
For your travel from the U.S. to Canada, you will need documentation -- both to be granted entry to Canada, and to be granted entry to the U.S. Here are the links for the accurate information:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...uver-trip.html
Thanks. We'd be bringing our passports.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 AM

What do you all think of Langley on Whidbey? Cute town?

Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 AM

Langley is delightful! I often stay on Whidbey for a day or two. Has little stores, one "supermarket" better described as a grocery store. Great shoreline, great scenery, as far as snow-covered Mt. Baker even in midsummer. Quiet, sweet, a tad touristy but it's too small for many tourists. Entire main street is walkable and fun, including antiques shops, ice cream shops, and FABULOUS seafood restaurants. If you wander the western side of Whidbey, you'll encounter many cliff beaches, including Double Bluffs and Ebey's Landing with exquisite views and, at very low tides, leftover mastadon bones, yes mastadon.
The view from anywhere at the north side (water side) of Langley or along Edgecliff Dr. is water, a bit of Camano Island in the distance, and sky. Delicious place.

Last edited by allforcats; 06-09-2008 at 12:26 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Langley is delightful! I often stay on Whidbey for a day or two. Has little stores, one "supermarket" better described as a grocery store. Great shoreline, great scenery, as far as snow-covered Mt. Baker even in midsummer. Quiet, sweet, a tad touristy but it's too small for many tourists. Entire main street is walkable and fun, including antiques shops, ice cream shops, and FABULOUS seafood restaurants. If you wander the western side of Whidbey, you'll encounter many cliff beaches, including Double Bluffs and Ebey's Landing with exquisite views and, at very low tides, leftover mastadon bones, yes mastadon.
The view from anywhere at the north side (water side) of Langley or along Edgecliff Dr. is water, a bit of Camano Island in the distance, and sky. Delicious place.
Where do you stay? I was looking at a place called Ashingdon Inn which doesn't seem to be on the water, but it sounds like you can walk or bike to Langley and in the area generally. Might do a day of whale watching out of Anacortes and maybe skip Victoria. Seems like the nicer B&Bs in Port Angeles, Port Townsend, etc. are $260-300/night, whereas the same quality inns are more in the $125-200/night range in some other towns.

Last edited by MJinAustin; 06-09-2008 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 06-09-2008, 12:54 PM

392 posts, read 1,552,417 times
If you're in the area, look into the Waterfront Inn in Gig Harbor. You'd be on the water in a great small town with incredible hosts who own an amazing tall ship. You're about 1hr from the Mariners.
Waterfront Inn - Gig Harbor's luxury waterfront bed and breakfast lodging. Seattle, Tacoma, Bremerton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington