U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 AM

8 posts, read 24,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattletony View Post
Don't listen to most people on this thread. For some odd reason they have it in for Seattle/W. Washington. I have stated this before and I will state it again 2/3rds of the people who live in the Puget Sound area are from another state of the country for a source check 2000 census.
Mr tony,

I have read and watched, not sure if I want to post due to the strict rules about staying on topic, but I think I can stay on topic here.

First, I am a native washingtonian, probably here long than you (close to 50 years). First off, most washingtonians are not native here as you have mentioned. Ok, that is fine, but all of the people that are here make up washington, thus they are washingtonians by their living here.

You see, it seems you are saying that native washingtonians are warm and friendly and its all the other people who are here that are not warm and friendly. You claim that there are more "outsiders" than natives, so we are outnumbered.

OK, doesn't it seem odd that all these outsiders who come from across the country are causing this single issue? In other words, someone from the friendly south crosses the boarder, then suddenly, bang, they are somehow different... not likely.

Now, you must understand that I love washington and the seattle area but to deny that there is a lifestyle here that has been discussed, that is not productive, and all you will do is make people here get frustrated. It's like having an elephant in the room and you try to tell everyone not to look at it.

You may personally be the most friendly person in the world. Your group of friends may be friendly to a fault, but you cannot use your single example or your own perceptions, and do a broad stroke "this is how it is" statement.

But before you dispair, it's not a Washington thing, it's a westcoast thing. Be fine with it. Every region of the country has a "style" and a stereotype. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as the drizzle and mist, between October and May, we are typically gray, and the rain is more of a mist, damp, cool. With the cloud cover, people tend to get focused on getting from point A to B, and they don't look up too often. So, we go from home to work, we shop, we stay in our cave. This adds to the difficulty with finding good friendship.

Now, it is also true that people who migrate here typically do not have family, so there is a lack of family feeling.

Well, that's my take, time to lassothemoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 01:08 AM

331 posts, read 1,795,699 times
sooo friends??? Washington???? Anyone!!!!!

Old 02-05-2007, 09:13 AM

11,386 posts, read 26,153,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
I have been up here over a year and a half now and have met many people. Everyone is so nice. Customer Service in great. Washington Drivers are great. Just everyone, one meets on a day to day has been wonderful. However.... making friends here has been difficult. Since I work from home, I don't make friends locally. I meet people from all over the world. But that makes it difficult to go have coffee and chat. My kids are grown and so there isn't that "school parent" friendships. Pretty much the only good friends I have made here live across the street and they are from Fla and moved in about a week after we did. I don't belong to any particular group or don't take any classes...

Just today I was talking to a few people that have left this area that told me that making friend for them up here was really tough. They got homesick and left... why do you think making solid friends up here is so difficult?

I have never had this challenge before. I am outgoing and love to talk to everyone. I don't have any special criteria for friends. I like all kinds of people. Meeting people is easy but making friends seems so difficult. Everyone seems so busy and already in a circle of friendships. They don't seem to be wanting to let outsiders in.

Your thoughts???
Just for reference, the thread topic is re-posted above.

Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM

Wow Thanks Trainwreck... Because I am sure everyone here including myself forgot what the heck we were talking about I am sure. Moderator cut: is it really necessary to be insulting?

Last edited by Marka; 02-05-2007 at 01:02 PM..

Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 AM

18 posts, read 134,509 times
I'm a soon to be new resident of the Seattle area (Phoenix area). I have read most of the post on this thread prior to it getting out of hand and some the problems people seem to have in the Seattle area we experience the same thing in Phoenix. My best friend moved to Seattle a few years ago and has never mentioned to me the difficulty in meeting new people and making friends. But then again, he is single and is living the bachelor's lifestyle so he is going out almost every weekend and at his job he works with a group of people around his age.

I have met some of his friends up there and they seem real cool/nice. Not sure if there natives of the area though. Anyways, it seems alot of what I'm hearing on this forum from people is similar to what its like in the Phoenix area. I know Seattle has alot of transplants like Phoenix does so maybe there something to that I don't know. My situation is totally different from my best friends in that I have a family so I can't just up and go out when I feel like it or leave on a weekend trip to anywhere. All I know is I look forward to being in the area.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 11,503 times
I chose to meet a lot of people by talking to people in the local grocery story. Even if it is to comment on their purse or what they might be wearing. Take some goodies to your neighbors or invite them over for a party of some sort.

I met a lot of my neighbors when I envited them over for a Partylite party. Are you into candles or purses? pampered cheif? Stamping? Quilting? What types of things do you like to do and what area of western washington are you in? I would love to do a purse party for you if you would like to help you get to know the ladies around you.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 11,503 times
If anybody is having a hard time meeting friends in washington make sure to give at least a county that you are in. I make it easier for people to know if they are in your area and could even start to be your friend. Just a suggestion of course. My circle of friends is pretty small but has grown a lot over the years. I don't think that any of us are originally from the same state with the exception of us who went to school together. We do a lot of shopping trips and lunches out. I would love to introduce people into the circle if they are in or around snohomish county.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickypurses View Post
If anybody is having a hard time meeting friends in washington make sure to give at least a county that you are in. I make it easier for people to know if they are in your area and could even start to be your friend. Just a suggestion of course. My circle of friends is pretty small but has grown a lot over the years. I don't think that any of us are originally from the same state with the exception of us who went to school together. We do a lot of shopping trips and lunches out. I would love to introduce people into the circle if they are in or around snohomish county.
Thanks for the great advice... I am in King County but visit Shohomish from time to time. PM me with your email and I will contact you the next time I go out there!!!

Old 02-18-2007, 04:03 PM

63 posts, read 330,352 times
Exclamation Newcomers clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
ummm was this directed at me? I was talking to jgw1283 when asking if he/she wasn't happy.
ROTFLOL! No I was talking to jgw1283 also. I know you from 'other' places! ;-)

As for that newcomers club that I was talking about. Just go to newcomersclub dot com and choose your state. There is a group in Redmond and one in Issaquah. I think those are the areas nearest your correct?

Old 02-20-2007, 05:25 AM

16 posts, read 78,037 times
Oh for crying out loud you bunch of whiners !! You find friends in the PNW at fitness centers. Done... Unless it's the middle of summer and you actually can be outside taking your dog for a walk, people are indoors, period.

Join local gym or two, go there 5 times a week, you will have new friends within three months, unless you are not friendly and if that's the case you have your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington