U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:30 PM

17 posts, read 49,780 times

Advertisements

So I just found out no indoor smoking is allowed anywhere in Washington nor within 25 feet of a public window, door, or vent. Smokers or people who know smokers: is it impossible to go to a bar and be able to step out occasionally to smoke? Do people just never smoke on the streets? Or do people usually just not follow the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM

8,330 posts, read 14,847,588 times
Some bars have outdoor covered smoking areas, sometimes heated, that are more than 25 feet from the entrance from the bar.
And as long as you're 25 ft or more from the entrance, you can smoke.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:02 PM

17 posts, read 49,780 times
but isn't 25 ft pretty far? I imagine that if you are walking down a sidewalk that has restaurants, shops, etc along it that you would not be able to smoke at all.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:15 PM

2,654 posts, read 7,327,813 times
Yeah....I know.

If you look around, some places have an unofficial smoking area. A few places bars/taverns have patios witout servers and you can smoke there because technically nobody works there. The 25 foot thing is only enforced in downtown Seattle as far as I can tell.

What I don't understand is why you can't smoke on patios? Europe has gone more and more non-smoking (Ireland, UK, Germany, France, Italy) but they've then gone and installed patios where you can take your drink and smoke. But not Washington. Oh no.

The doorway thing is a joke. Police have better things to do than measure a smoker's distance from the nearest doorway.

There are a couple of places at Bell and 2nd in downtown Seattle that have little patios out front and they don't enforce the no-smoking nonsense at all. Usually packed. You can have your beer too, closest thing to nirvana in Seattle. There are also some taverns up on Greenwood that could give a $hit and up in Lake City.

Other towns around here in Seattle aren't nearly as noxious about the letter of the law as Seattle is. After all tobacco is a legal substance--the last time I checked.

P.S. For all their hypocracy, pot seems easier to get in this state than cigarettes, and cheaper too. Go figure.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:18 PM

66 posts, read 209,809 times
My understanding is that if you're walking down the sidewalk you're not breaking any laws even if you happen to step into the magical 25 foot zone. The law applies to if you are simply standing right outside. The purpose was supposed to be to stop the clogs of people standing right outside the doors smoking that pretty much defeated the purpose of the original law in the first place.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:47 PM

150 posts, read 458,445 times
As a non-smoker this is one of the best things the state has ever done. There was a lot of whining at first but I think now people have gotten used to it. I think sometimes I am more put out then my smoking friends because it's annoying when I am in a group of smokers and they all go outside to smoke leaving me at the table...

I really like the fact that I can come home and not smell like smoke. It is the most disgusting smell. Especially if you do not smoke.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:25 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,555,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springshades View Post
My understanding is that if you're walking down the sidewalk you're not breaking any laws even if you happen to step into the magical 25 foot zone. The law applies to if you are simply standing right outside. The purpose was supposed to be to stop the clogs of people standing right outside the doors smoking that pretty much defeated the purpose of the original law in the first place.
I think you're right, springshades. Walking outdoors and smoking at the same time, regardless of momentary closeness to a door, works.
And you're spot-on about the purpose being to remove the gauntlet of smokers through which people had to walk to get to a door.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,151 posts, read 8,321,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcres View Post
As a non-smoker this is one of the best things the state has ever done. There was a lot of whining at first but I think now people have gotten used to it. I think sometimes I am more put out then my smoking friends because it's annoying when I am in a group of smokers and they all go outside to smoke leaving me at the table...

I really like the fact that I can come home and not smell like smoke. It is the most disgusting smell. Especially if you do not smoke.
As a vegetarian, I can totally agree on this. I am looking forward to the ban on outdoor BBQ's and grilling in general. I suppose some can tolerate the smell of grilled flesh, but it's just NASTY.. you know?

What? Don't you know that grilling creates carcinogens? Do you want people to smell your carcinogens? The smoke REEKS of DEAD FLESH and CAUSES CANCER.

And that is why grilling smells within 25 feet of noses must stop at once.

(P.S...... ....I love steak.) HA HA HA! I smoke, too. But the point is valid.

You can lawsuit yourself - and your country - to death. Be very careful what you wish for..... One person's concerns and prioriities are important. Just be careful not to diminish others in your zeal to have your world vision unfold.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM

271 posts, read 780,985 times
This smoking law is great!

The problem is that a large % of smokers are idiots and do not follow basic laws such as littering, increases the taxes to $1000000 per pack, haha.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 PM

150 posts, read 458,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
As a vegetarian, I can totally agree on this. I am looking forward to the ban on outdoor BBQ's and grilling in general. I suppose some can tolerate the smell of grilled flesh, but it's just NASTY.. you know?

What? Don't you know that grilling creates carcinogens? Do you want people to smell your carcinogens? The smoke REEKS of DEAD FLESH and CAUSES CANCER.

And that is why grilling smells within 25 feet of noses must stop at once.

(P.S...... ....I love steak.) HA HA HA! I smoke, too. But the point is valid.

You can lawsuit yourself - and your country - to death. Be very careful what you wish for..... One person's concerns and prioriities are important. Just be careful not to diminish others in your zeal to have your world vision unfold.
Except that you BBQ in your own backyard. Not out in public.

I personally think smoking is stupid but I don't have a problem with other people smoking... as long as I don't have to breath it in too. I do enough unhealthy things to my body as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington