U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
 
3 posts, read 5,012 times
Reputation: 14
Thumbs up Ocean Shores is coming Alive

Moved from here and back again. Detoured to the Gulf of Mexico in two different states, and I am glad to be home. I'll take this weather over the hurricanes and red ants and rattlers anyday. The new homes that are going up are improving the area. Heard a rumor that a Safeway is coming to town. Any truth to that, and I also believe the marina will come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2008, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Washington Coast
47 posts, read 164,870 times
Reputation: 47
Safeway might be good, but I still like that funky IGA! It's like the grocery store from the original movie "THE FOG". For me, driving on the beach, as the sun goes down after 9PM in the Summer....sitting there at 10PM to see the last turquoise glow over the horizon...that's what it's all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Virginia
9,852 posts, read 7,945,186 times
Reputation: 5826
I took the wife there for her birthday in May. 300 bucks a night. I have nothing good to say. I think I went during the bad season or something.....'cuz it was not great.

Cold, wet & drizzly, wind blowing about 30 miles an hour. Town was dead. Everything was expensive. I think McDonalds closed at 9 or 10. Hard to remember.

Whenever me and the wife are talking about vacation plans, I'll say "Ocean shores!!??" and it makes her laugh. That's because it's a form of sarcasm.

I wonder if we just went at a bad time. I think so....and I'd like to give it another shot, someday.

I went because my friend talked it up so much. I honestly didn't see what was so great about it. Maybe you can expound upon it's greatness and I can slap my forehead and say "ARGH!!! We should've had done that, too!"

Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 02:14 PM
 
321 posts, read 507,869 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I took the wife there for her birthday in May. 300 bucks a night. I have nothing good to say. I think I went during the bad season or something.....'cuz it was not great.

Cold, wet & drizzly, wind blowing about 30 miles an hour. Town was dead. Everything was expensive. I think McDonalds closed at 9 or 10. Hard to remember.

May, that's the problem right there.

I grew up going to the coast every summer, usually late July or early August, and even then the weather was a crapshoot. Going in May is less of a crapshoot, because you can bet on the weather sucking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 04:11 PM
 
1,170 posts, read 3,268,602 times
Reputation: 628
Are the beaches there still littered with crap from all the dogs and horses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
 
Location: In the woods next to the ocean
3,987 posts, read 8,358,869 times
Reputation: 6025
I don't know why tourists come to Ocean Shores. All the bad things they say about it is true. The weather is terrible, prices are high, there is nothing to do, and it's generally a depressed and depressing area.

Westport, on the other hand, has nice beaches, an interesting marina, and a typical seaside tourist shop area.

I live in Ocean Shores, but when I want to be a "beach tourist" I go to Westport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2008, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Washington Coast
47 posts, read 164,870 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I don't know why tourists come to Ocean Shores. All the bad things they say about it is true. The weather is terrible, prices are high, there is nothing to do, and it's generally a depressed and depressing area.

Westport, on the other hand, has nice beaches, an interesting marina, and a typical seaside tourist shop area.

I live in Ocean Shores, but when I want to be a "beach tourist" I go to Westport
Personally, the only thing I go to the beach for is that big wet thing where the sand stops.

If you live in Ocean Shores, and things are so expensive, and there's "nothing to do", then what do you normally DO?

I knew that's what you were going to say, but if you really believe what you wrote, why don't you move from such a terrible place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2008, 09:05 AM
 
Location: In the woods next to the ocean
3,987 posts, read 8,358,869 times
Reputation: 6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
...why don't you move from such a terrible place?
I didn't say it was a terrible place.

I said I didn't see what the attraction was for tourists. I happen to like cold weather, wind, and rain, but I would assume that tourists from the East Sound would be looking for something else.

As far as being expensive, I could care less. I don't stay in those tourist hotels, I don't eat in the tourist restaurants, I don't go to the Indian casino, and the only time I shop at the IGA is if I need something to hold me over until I get to the store in Aberdeen.

I love to live in Ocean Shores, but I wish the tourists would go someplace else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 03:19 AM
 
Location: Washington Coast, Grays Harbor County
202 posts, read 957,172 times
Reputation: 121
Fat Freddy!!

So, your negative attitude about Grays Harbor all this time is only an attempt to keep everyone else out so you can have it to yourself!

I can't blame you, I live in a mixed building (some permanent, but a lot of short time rentals!) Tourists can be a pain! Traveling can bring out the best AND WORST in people, (especially families, I've noticed). But their business keeps a lot of my friends working, so we can live here year round!

How about sharing what you love about the area more often?






Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
I didn't say it was a terrible place.

I said I didn't see what the attraction was for tourists. I happen to like cold weather, wind, and rain, but I would assume that tourists from the East Sound would be looking for something else.

As far as being expensive, I could care less. I don't stay in those tourist hotels, I don't eat in the tourist restaurants, I don't go to the Indian casino, and the only time I shop at the IGA is if I need something to hold me over until I get to the store in Aberdeen.

I love to live in Ocean Shores, but I wish the tourists would go someplace else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: In the woods next to the ocean
3,987 posts, read 8,358,869 times
Reputation: 6025
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmsea View Post

How about sharing what you love about the area more often?
I love the trees, the ocean, the rivers, the rain, the fog.

I also love that, regardless of constant pressure by developers and those who profit from promoting growth, it's still a relatively underdeveloped area in deep economic recession where businesses are closing and people are moving away.

I also love the fact that property values are declining compared to other areas in the state which means that my property taxes are going down not up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top