Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 11:49 PM

371 posts, read 1,756,920 times

Advertisements

^
How about Chelan?

Not necessarily coastal, and I do not know about housing or jobs, but the nature part is covered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 12:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,617 posts, read 57,608,601 times
If you want 'dry'

Wenachee, tho 'coast' will be The Puget Sound... not like, crashing waves..., but good 'inland waters'

otherwise, gonna have to be on the 'wet side' might even look at Bellingham, as an escape from metropolis.
For being 2 hours from scenic coast (Oregon) and in nice area close to mountains, then White Salmon, WA or Hood River, OR (adjacent to each other, across Columbia River) jobs a bit scarce, but growing commerce, bit spendy to live there, but really nice weather, activities, and close proximity to cultural stuff and airport (Portland)

Old 06-20-2008, 09:46 AM

215 posts, read 874,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
And don't tell me you can't find a safe, inexpensive place in a smaller town, near the water, with great views of the mountains in Western Wa. They are all over.
I guess it depends on your definition of "inexpensive". TC is the lowest cost area in the state. You can still get a brand new 1,500 square foot home on a decent sized lot for $150,000.

And one of the criteria was lots of jobs in a variety of different fields. TC has this more so than anywhere else in the state except Seattle metro and Spokane, which from what I gathered, the OP wants to avoid (big cities). Also, salaries in TC are VERY high.

I guess it all boils down to whether the OP listed his/her criteria in an order of priority or not. I took it that all were equally important. If mountains and scenery are the most important (and thus listed first) then of course I would not recommend TC.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:40 PM

41 posts, read 210,772 times
OK - - I vote for Centralia...

Centralia is 1/2 way between Seattle & Portland.

It is called the HUB city for good reason ...

1 hour to the beach...
1 hour to the mountains...
1 1/2 hours to Portland...
1 1/2 hours to Seattle...
25 minutes south of Olympia...
AWESOME historis downtown that is totally turning around...

PLUS - - you can still get a 4 bedroom, 2 bedroom house int he best historic neighborhood, Edison District for under $200,000.

The historic downtown is on the National Register of Historic Places and rapidly becoming a "kewl" place to hang out.

Just my .02 cents....

Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 AM

365 posts, read 690,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F99TWW View Post
It will be several years before we even consider moving (we're still in college), but we'd really like to move to Washington at some point and it never hurts to start planning early. So, I'm trying to find a city that'd fit (most of) this criteria:

- Mountains visible from the city! It doesn't need to be super close, as long as there are pretty views of the mountains.
- Close to the coast (within 1-2 hours drive is fine), another big body of water near the city for pretty views is good too.
- Has relatively good job opportunities (and not just in particular fields).
- Is relatively safe (we'd like to have children eventually).
- Isn't too expensive/moderately affordable.

I'm not a big fan of living in big cities, but within commutable distance would be nice if job opportunities are better there.

Anything? Thanks.
Have you looked at Bellingham, just north of Seattle? Bellingham fulfills pretty much all of your criteria. You can see Mount Baker and the twin sisters and BC mountains, it's right on the bay, plenty of job opportunites, has been written up as one of the safest places to live, and is moderately affordable!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:26 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,414,881 times
Seems no mention of Mason County, by far is the cheapest (for today's prices in WA State) for purchasing a house in Western Washington...Mason County consists of Belfair and Shelton for the bigger cities...and only 20 minutes or so from Bremerton and Port Orchard ...

I grew up in Port Orchard, and have seen the houses go up considerably since the late 1990's....allot of ppl live on the Kitsap Peninsula and work in Seattle and Tacoma...due to the homes in these two large cities are just very high...in price and demand...

Oh and Mason County has there share of state parks, lakes and ofcouse the Puget Sound.......beautiful part of the state...

Good luck....

Old 07-04-2008, 12:01 PM

21 posts, read 76,211 times
I second Olympia, and also suggest Puyallup--you get THE mountain--Mt. Rainier, only 1 1/2 hours from the ocean, low crime, and a good place to raise a family. Job opportunites are in and all around the immediate area (though traffic is a bear!) and the cost of living is still affordable. Lots of recreating here as well. A small starter home starts at $250k (no yard, however) and gas a my station is holding @ $4.17/gal.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:17 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,619,977 times
There's hardly a spot on the south or east side of Puget Sound that you CAN'T see Mount Rainier or the Olympics on clear days. Rainier especially. It dominates the skyline.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:25 PM

1,024 posts, read 4,125,761 times
Default Olympia

F99TWW,

Olympia meets all your criteria.
  • You'll enjoy pretty views of the Olympics, as well as of Mt. Rainier.
  • The drive to Ocean Shores is only 1 1/2 hours.
  • Olympia is located on Puget Sound, so you'll have great water views right in the city.
  • The state government agencies in town offer a variety of job opportunities with good benefits.
  • Olympia is a safe, small town.
  • Homes in and around Olympia are still affordable.
For more information check out the city web site:
Welcome to the City of Olympia

Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington