U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 02:40 PM

403 posts, read 1,181,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Nelson View Post
dkwinkie,

It sounds to me like Centralia would be a good fit for you. It's between Puyallup and Portland, it's rural, yet there are things to do, and it has a home-town feel. I wouldn't say it's green/progressive, although it's more progressive than Chehalis. If the green/progressive attributes are important to you, I'd recommend Olympia. There you're not too far from Portland and Puyallup and you'll also have a fantastic farmers market.

Greetings,

Sandy
Centralia has a farmer's market too......
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Tyr

1 posts, read 2,103 times
If you want green try Pe Ell or Onalaska.. hahaha, I don't know about diversity and going green, but the population has gone higher then the town can hold, since they started building down by Walmart (which is more Chehalis, but right in the middle) and over by the hospital, its getting way to busy, which people hate, and people that have lived here their whole lives love the small town feel but give it 20 more years every one from big cities and other states like Cali move here, and as population goes up crime follows, but I grew up in Toledo.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,507 times
Default Used to be

Born and raised in centtralia i have been here for all the changes good and bad. Raised my children here who now are raising theirs.always liked the area it`self but what has always been the drawback to the life here. And continues to be is the judicial system and the police in this town. You absolutely are not allowed to ever get away from the system if by some chance you ever are thrown into it this is one place that you are never forgiven.you are never allowed to ever pay your debt to society off. So if you want a new chance at life don`t come to centralia.the people are pleasant for the most part. As far as the meth use here it is in every walk of life. You never hear about the working addicts that go to work every day on drugs their are many. And our lovely officials as well. Make an informed choise before moving here.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 991 times
Default Recession

I am curious what the people on this thread think about Centralia now, after/during the recession and the plummeting job market. My husband and I are thinking about living in Centralia/working in Olympia because Centralia seems to have really beautiful historic homes on large lots which we are having trouble finding in Olympia. Also curious what people think of the Edison historic district in Centralia.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:46 PM

39 posts, read 21,901 times
Sarah: you were never answered .. and now I would like to know what everyone has to say about both Chehalis and Centralia, after all this time. It's now 2014, 6 years after this thread started, would love to know how it goes ... up that way.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:20 PM

14,055 posts, read 15,672,358 times
I have family in Napavine, Chehalis and Centralia. When I was up there last year I ended up staying in Centralia before I had to come back to Socal for family related things. I like both places but Centralia has a bit more and it is a nice town for the most part.

Old 01-14-2016, 06:24 AM

39 posts, read 21,901 times
Question New opinions?

Bumping back up, to get some new opinions.

I've been in WA for almost 2 years now (moved from upstate NY) and lived in Richland for 1 year, have been in Milton/Tacoma area for 6 months, and am trying to decide where to go from here when lease is up.

One son lives in Seattle, the other in Portland. I'm concerned about the growing drug/crime problems in Centralia/Chehalis area, along with property crime.

Wondering if I should go further down to Longview or even Saint Helens, etc.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-14-2016, 08:37 AM

301 posts, read 90,750 times
I am not sure you will escape the possibility of property crime anywhere. I think you reduce the risk if you can stay in areas that are nice and well maintained, and invest in security measures for your property that deter theft. That's true whether you're in Tacoma or Centralia or Longview. We live nearby and that is our approach. Druggies and thieves usually seek the easiest victim.

That said... I would ask which place has the best growth and industry and the best prospects for jobs? Whether you're looking for employment or not. Because jobs and a strong economy are the best answer for preventing young druggies who would be thieves... and all the areas you speak of are former timber towns who have been hard hit by restrictions in logging and the closure of sawmills while we ship our logs overseas. (...to be made into lumber and finished goods that we buy back)

What potential will replace those lost industries and give new prosperity to these rural towns? Any ideas from the green progressives on the thread?

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 01-14-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM

8 posts, read 2,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

What potential will replace those lost industries and give new prosperity to these rural towns? Any ideas from the green progressives on the thread?
Logging jobs were already declining--and not due to green progressives--a lot of it had to do with economics and better technology.

However, turning certain areas into wildlife refuges has been very beneficial.

"..National Wildlife Refuges are economic engines all their own, and pumped $2.4 billion into the economy, supported more than 35,000 jobs and produced $792.7 million in job income for the people who engage in, facilitate, and manufacture products that allow outdoor recreational activities. For every $1 appropriated to the refuge system in Fiscal Year 2011, the refuges contributed $4.87 in total economic output.." study conducted by US Fish and Wildlife Services, November 5, 2013.

"...
Some mills that once sought the oldest, tallest evergreens are now producing alternative energy from wood byproducts like bark or brush. Unemployed loggers are looking for work thinning federal forests, a task for which the stimulus package devotes $500 million; the goal is to make forests more resistant to wildfires and disease..." NY Times

There are ways to replace lost jobs--just takes the right entrepreneur and insight to do so.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:28 PM

301 posts, read 90,750 times
For sake of all of our small timber towns, I hope good ideas are found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington