U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2008, 09:39 PM

16 posts, read 57,804 times
Question Moving from Texas to Washington

Considering a move from Dallas, Texas to the Pacific Northwest - particularly interested in Seattle or Tacoma (or their suburbs) or Portland, OR.....

I've never made a move like this before. What is the best way to do this? Pack everything up and drive the 2200 miles? Sell everything and fly?

My current plan is to return via plane and basically drive around and check everything out - including potential jobs, schools (for me - no kids!), and leasing options. Is this worth my time and money? Any particular areas I should visit? What are good areas for a couple with no kids - but lots of pets??!

Any fellow Texans want to shed some light on me? What was your moving experience from TX to the Pacific Northwest like? What would you change or keep the same if you could re-do the move?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 09:59 PM

3,874 posts, read 10,927,382 times
Welcome! Your enthusiasm is fun!

Well, the really best way to go about your adventure is to know where you can work. Usually, people find the job first, then move -- because if you can't pay for your new home, how can you live? AND commuting, either by public transportation or by car, can take a horrendous amount of time if you live far from where you work.

"Pack and drive, or sell and fly?" Your decision depends on how much money you can spend on this adventure, how much you're deeply in love with your furniture, and how much time you have to spend on a move.

"Lots of pets" could mean many things. If they're gerbils, no one cares. If they're horses, snakes or dogs, you'll definitely be limited in choice of areas in which you can all live together.

You also have to be prepared for significantly different weather in western WA and western OR compared with Dallas. Are you? Check City-Data's state and city pages for lots of info, and these C-D forums. You'll also want to read and read and read the C-D forums for the cities you think you might be interested in.

"Looking around ahead of time -- worth my time and money?" Well, only if you want to know what you might be getting yourselves into...

As for jobs, here's a start, the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers all around the Seattle, and to some extent, Tacoma area:
Seattle area jobs, employment advice and information | NWjobs
and rentals for the same area:
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods

Have fun researching!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:32 PM

327 posts, read 1,019,632 times
You can look at different parts of town with googlemaps.com; "street view". You can "drive around" online, looking at different locations around the US. If you are interested in a certain area, you can type in the address and look at 360 degree views, from the street level, and "drive around" the area. It's pretty neat.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:01 AM

69 posts, read 150,116 times
It is most certainly worth the time and money to travel around the areas you intend to move to. How else will you narrow it down to Seattle or Portland?

Based on my recent cross country move -- I would say take everything you use and eliminate what you do not. It would be more expensive to replace your property upfront in comparison to moving it. You can always replace items later at your own pace.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:10 AM

3 posts, read 7,804 times
Default just moved from Houston to Kirkland Washington

Thought i would share my experience. We moved from here from Houston about a month ago. I was lucky and able to transfer with my company. So i didn't have to look for work. As far as apartment hunting, it can be difficult when you're looking from that far away. Craigslist is good. We flew up here to look at apartments at the beginning of May. We focused on the bellevue and kirkland area just to narrow it down and also because of the limited amount of time. We only gave ourselves 3 days to find an apartment because i coudn't take any more time off work. We found one and only signed a short-term lease and may move in closer to seattle when the lease is up.

As far as moving experiences, it really depends on how much stuff you have. And if you would want to sell it all. We got rid of as much stuff as we could. We used ABF upack for the actual move. They drop a pod off and you fill it. They pick up the pod and take it to seattle (or whereever you're moving to). The pods are extremely small though. We opted for just one pod which was $1400 and then we mailed about 7 or 8 boxes of stuff which cost an additional $500. We then drove my car from Houston to seattle. I estimate it cost roughly $2600 for the move which includes the gas and hotel stays along the way.

ABF was really good. i read a lot of reviews on them before choosing them. I would definitely recommend them....however not without a few caveats. Your stuff is only insured by how much it weights and only then it's like $10 a pound or something. You do have to make sure you pack your stuff really well, because the pod gets picked up by a forklift and your stuff will get shifted. We were lucky and none of our stuff was damaged. We also packed it extremely careful. The irony is that some of the items we shipped by ups arrived damaged even though we thought we packed them really well.

So far things have gone well. It rained the entire first week we were here. But so far it hasn't rained in 2 weeks. We've had really nice weather, although it got a little hot over the weekend. Also, you should be aware that most places up here do not have a/c.

What kind of pets do you have? Many places up here charge pet rent...something i've never heard of coming from Houston. And many places will not accept large dogs. We have a cat. But i still need to fly down to Houston to get her. We were going to drive her but she really freaked out. So we left her behind. I'm going to fly her up in a couple of months.

Anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:56 PM

16 posts, read 57,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
"Lots of pets" could mean many things. If they're gerbils, no one cares. If they're horses, snakes or dogs, you'll definitely be limited in choice of areas in which you can all live together.
I have 3 cats & 3 small dogs under 20 lbs. That's "lots" for some - but I work for a vet so it doesn't feel too overwhelming for me. Luckily, I can make a pretty good "pet resume" for my pets and provide a letter of recommendation from their vets - so, I am hoping that will work for me.

Quote:
You also have to be prepared for significantly different weather in western WA and western OR compared with Dallas. Are you? Check City-Data's state and city pages for lots of info, and these C-D forums. You'll also want to read and read and read the C-D forums for the cities you think you might be interested in.
Yes, I am so psyched for the weather change. It is the NUMBER ONE reason I am moving.

Quote:
As for jobs, here's a start, the combined classifieds of the two leading newspapers all around the Seattle, and to some extent, Tacoma area:
Seattle area jobs, employment advice and information | NWjobs
and rentals for the same area:
NWapartments: Seattle apartment rentals, house rental listings, rental classifieds and other property rentals in Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue and other Washington areas, cities and neighborhoods
Thank you for the links!

And, thank you for everyone else's responses - they are helpful!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:32 AM

3,874 posts, read 10,927,382 times
With so many animals in your family, I strongly recommend that you look for a HOUSE to rent, as it's not likely that an apartment (or condo or townhouse) in this area will allow more than two small (cat-sized) animals.

Yes, do add craigslist to your search for a rental. As also mentioned, short-term leases abound here, so you could try that (3 months, 6 months, for example).

Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 AM

3,226 posts, read 9,503,695 times
Go to the Seattle forum and search on "Texas" - lots of people have made the move from Seattle to TX and have posted their experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington