Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,359 times

Advertisements

There is a social class in Walla Walla, and a hierarchy, but overall it is a very nice area. Remote and isolated, but a little more then an hour to "big box" store shopping in the Tri-Cities. Walla Walla is a small (big little) town in the middle of famr land and an emerging wine country. You get some of the liberals in from California and the colleges and the conservative values of the families and farmers around the town. Downtown is quaint, and nice, historic. Over time, you might get bored with the limited things to do. There are numerous educational institutions in Walla Walla as well as a handful of hospitals. Town is on an upsurge thanks to the wine industry.

College Place might be a nice suburb of Walla Walla to look at too.

Yakima has more "big city" life out in this region, and far more grittier though with nice areas certainly to live in. More shopping and services then Walla Walla, and within 3 hours or so to Seattle. The area is trying to re-invent themselves with the wine industry. The Yakima Valley is known for their gang problems, especially in some of the smaller valley towns south of Yakima.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,725 times
Default Yakima or Walla Walla ??

I have never lived in Walla Walla, but hear it is a lovely town. I grew up in Yakima and since I left many years ago crime rate has skyrocketed. I would NEVER go back to raise a family if I had a choice to go elsewhere due to this reason alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I'd lean towards Walla Walla as a personal preference, but jobs might be a little tougher to find. If you need close proximity to the urban jungle, (traffic jams), Yakima is pretty accessible to the west side (also if you need some rain, or a trip to the coast). I feel *** has more problems with minorities, gangs and crime. Unfortunately the previous US 'amnesty' program added to Yakima's population, and the parents were responsible and grateful, yet the following generation is not so inclined. *** is also close to 'Cascades' (Mt. Rainier and Mt. St Helens (good & bad...)

Walla Walla prettier, a bit more laid back, and your recreation will be to the rivers or Blue Mountains. Both are great. It is a bit more remote, but a great little city, and some nice small towns nearby. Tri-Cities has pretty good employment and would be accessible, Spokane is easy to get to for a major city. Portland is pretty ez too, and no sales tax (~4hrs).

Might check for gov jobs @ USjobs.com The prison in W_W or colleges or Hydro Dams / Wind farms could be good spots for employment. I like Waitsburg. (~12 miles east of W-W). I'd research the schools, but will guess W-W will be rated higher and offer more choices. Everyone I've known who lived in Yakima have left for various reasons, they don't recommend it. Most folks seem to rave about Walla Walla. (just my $.02, haven't lived there, but go for seminars / events)

Good luck

Old 11-08-2012, 07:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWbyNW View Post
There is a social class in Walla Walla, and a hierarchy, but overall it is a very nice area. Remote and isolated, but a little more then an hour to "big box" store shopping in the Tri-Cities. Walla Walla is a small (big little) town in the middle of famr land and an emerging wine country. You get some of the liberals in from California and the colleges and the conservative values of the families and farmers around the town. Downtown is quaint, and nice, historic. Over time, you might get bored with the limited things to do. There are numerous educational institutions in Walla Walla as well as a handful of hospitals. Town is on an upsurge thanks to the wine industry.
Can you explain your remote and isolated comment?

Granted, I retired as a professional Forester, but Walla Walla as remote and isolated?? My definition of remote and isolated is going to differ.....but

I cannot imagine being bored in a community the size and diversity of Walla Walla. But then I was not bored living in Pine, Idaho.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:21 PM

353 posts, read 934,448 times
Walla Walla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington