U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2014, 12:10 AM

366 posts, read 474,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Hi Mema,

Considering Ocean Shores for retirement. Can you tell me about the humidity factor along the coast? I know the temperatures are moderate, but was wondering how the humidity is because I am supersensitive to it.

Thanks!
The relative humidity is high throughout the year, but the temperatures are rarely high enough for humidity to be a factor. And when it does get hot, it's a result of off-shore flow, which brings in dry air from the interior.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 09:08 PM

626 posts, read 1,397,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehorse66 View Post
Hi Mema,

Considering Ocean Shores for retirement. Can you tell me about the humidity factor along the coast? I know the temperatures are moderate, but was wondering how the humidity is because I am supersensitive to it.

Thanks!
If your not into humidity, Ocean Shores is not for you. Winds blow onshore much of the year and keeps relative humidity at least 70% or more, even in the summer. Mid and late summer in particular can be misty with relative humidities over 80% or more. Every so often, weather patterns will set up where the winds blow off shore, humidity then can drop below 40%, even lower upon rare occasions. September can be a good month with more sun then most months and humidity will be lower. From October thru May and even into June and early July features about 5 days out of 7 with mostly cloudy, damp conditions. If your not a fan of the heat.. Ocean Shores definitely would be to your liking. Many days in July and August features high temperatures in the low 60's; some days won't get out of the 50's, night time lows in the low 50's. But the humidity would offset that. If you want a cool place but with somewhat lower humidity, check out Sequim on the northern shores of the Olympic Peninsula. Sequim lies in the Olympic Mountain rain shadow, and only averages around 18 inches of rain a year. It's one of the sunnier places west of the I-5 corridor. Humidity though can still be high, but not so much as Ocean Shores. Hope this helps.

Old 06-04-2015, 03:44 PM

249 posts, read 252,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoycemc View Post
Are there any shuttles to Ocean Shores from either SeaTAc Airport ...
This is an older post, but I decided to update it with new information (as requested by the forum software). I found a brochure for shuttle transportation for patients who can't drive due to medical reasons in Dr. Slippyscalpel's office. The brochure also mentions that they offer shuttle transportation to and from SeaTac. The business is CTW Passenger Transportation : CTW Passenger Transportation - Non-emergency transport service I have no experience with them, but it seems to be a legitimate and established business.

The year is 2015 as I type, and now Uber is another option. I don't have any experience with Uber either, but I'd have wonder about the availability of Uber drivers in Ocean Shores.

As noted previously, public transportation via bus would be the cheapest and most unpleasant option.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:37 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,367,714 times
I'd say take Amtrak (you'll need to get from Sea-Tac to the Tukwila Amtrak Station) to Olympia and then catch Grays Harbor Transit #40 from the Olympia Transit Center to Aberdeen and #50 to Ocean Shores:

Tukwila, WA Train Station (TUK) | Amtrak

Grays Harbor Transit | Schedules | Route 40 - Weekday | Monday - Friday

Grays Harbor Transit | Schedules | Route 50 - Weekday | Monday - Friday

Old 06-04-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
I'd say take Amtrak (you'll need to get from Sea-Tac to the Tukwila Amtrak Station) to Olympia and then catch Grays Harbor Transit #40 from the Olympia Transit Center to Aberdeen and #50 to Ocean Shores:

Tukwila, WA Train Station (TUK) | Amtrak

Grays Harbor Transit | Schedules | Route 40 - Weekday | Monday - Friday

Grays Harbor Transit | Schedules | Route 50 - Weekday | Monday - Friday
Oh, but the Amtrak station is in south Lacey, so you'd need to take Intercity Transit's Route 94 to get from the Amtrak station to the Olympia Transit Center to hook up with Grays Harbor Transit. (And the only time that I have picked up someone at the Amtrak station in Lacey, the train was 3 hours late due to brake problems. Although it was coming in from the south (Portland), I now don't trust train schedules.)

Obviously it depends upon budget, but my ordered preferences would be

1) The shuttle service that I found
2) Maybe Uber
3) Public transportation via buses
4) A combination of trains and buses
5) Something involving bicycles
6) Walking

(I did not include a rental car as such a simple idea had obviously been ruled out by the OP.)

Old 06-05-2015, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
Oh, but the Amtrak station is in south Lacey, so you'd need to take Intercity Transit's Route 94 to get from the Amtrak station to the Olympia Transit Center to hook up with Grays Harbor Transit. (And the only time that I have picked up someone at the Amtrak station in Lacey, the train was 3 hours late due to brake problems. Although it was coming in from the south (Portland), I now don't trust train schedules.)

Obviously it depends upon budget, but my ordered preferences would be

1) The shuttle service that I found
2) Maybe Uber
3) Public transportation via buses
4) A combination of trains and buses
5) Something involving bicycles
6) Walking

(I did not include a rental car as such a simple idea had obviously been ruled out by the OP.)
The price of that Shuttle (Ocean Shores - Sea-Tac) is $210...

To save that kind of money, I'd pay for a cab (or Uber) at both ends (to the Tukwila station and from the Lacey station). The point of taking Amtrak is comfort more than speed. The Grays Harbor Transit buses from Olympia run throughout the day (six trips from 7:50am to 7:20pm).

Old 06-05-2015, 09:33 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,584,520 times
The answer to this question is the same as it was when it was asked by the OP in 2007:

There is no shuttle service, nor any direct transportation, from Ocean Shores to SEATAC.
But for enough money you can pay someone to do anything.
Including driving you to SEATAC.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:38 PM

The Ocean Shores "shuttle" is primarily for non-emergent medical transportation. They will drop you off at Sea-Tac if you're willing to pay the high fee. Nothing on their site, however, says they will pick you up at Sea-Tac.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
The Ocean Shores "shuttle" is primarily for non-emergent medical transportation. They will drop you off at Sea-Tac if you're willing to pay the high fee. Nothing on their site, however, says they will pick you up at Sea-Tac.
This screen capture from their website is titled "Whoops" for two reasons, one being obvious:

If you'll bother to to read their website before posting about it with such authority - Services - CTW Passenger Transportation - the pittance fee of $200 and change for group tours (up to 12!) and transportation to / from SeaTac to elsewhere is extremely reasonable.

Also, I have remembered that Uber is currently ruled out as a direct solution as that would currently violate the cab union and the SeaTac union's guild rules.

Oh, if anyone follows Crazy Donkey's ideas and ends up stranded at that Amtrak station in South Lacey, the workers there are volunteers (retired). If one of them likes you, they might give you a ride into Olympia to avoid cab fare. But free ride or not, try asking them about The Evergreen State College. Using ""'s to indicate vocal inflection : Evergreen State is a college for "professional students". (It's a true story to lighten up the mood.)

Old 06-06-2015, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian2 View Post
This screen capture from their website is titled "Whoops" for two reasons, one being obvious:

If you'll bother to to read their website before posting about it with such authority - Services - CTW Passenger Transportation - the pittance fee of $200 and change for group tours (up to 12!) and transportation to / from SeaTac to elsewhere is extremely reasonable.

Also, I have remembered that Uber is currently ruled out as a direct solution as that would currently violate the cab union and the SeaTac union's guild rules.

Oh, if anyone follows Crazy Donkey's ideas and ends up stranded at that Amtrak station in South Lacey, the workers there are volunteers (retired). If one of them likes you, they might give you a ride into Olympia to avoid cab fare. But free ride or not, try asking them about The Evergreen State College. Using ""'s to indicate vocal inflection : Evergreen State is a college for "professional students". (It's a true story to lighten up the mood.)
I clicked on "Airport Shuttle" on their front page. Just from that page, it is not at all clear that it is a shared rate (rather than just a shared ride):

Airport Shuttle - CTW Passenger Transportation

So, apologies if I didn't find my way to the right page. I'm still not sure how the return trip from Sea-Tac would work - if the only one riding, you'd have to pay the whole rate.

I still think that the Amtrak/Grays Harbor Transit option is doable, if minimizing cost is a factor - taking cabs to make connections, rather than local transit, would just speed things up (and also increase the cost). I wouldn't want to try to do it late in the day, but I doubt, if traveling before midday, that there would be much chance of getting stranded with the last bus gone. Bring a good book in case there's an hour or two wait for the bus out of Olympia. Sometimes life is about the going, not the getting to.

I've taken Amtrak numerous times and it is generally, if not always, fairly reliable and definitely a more comfortable way to go. If speed is a priority, then by all means pay the $210, if necessary, or some fraction of it, for a direct ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington