U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 11:51 AM

46 posts, read 564,864 times

Advertisements

From the outside looking in besides Seattle and maybe Spokane is the rest of Washington considered rural. I know Portland, Oregon is nearby. I'm just curious about what the rest of the state is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2007, 12:48 PM

331 posts, read 1,870,476 times
What do you consider Seattle? I am on the Eastside and it isn't rural. Lots of trees and that out of the way woodsy feel but not even close to rural. There is Yakima isn't rural, The Tri-city area isn't rural...

My point is there are cities and what you have in between is rural but not the entire rest of the state.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:00 PM

139 posts, read 1,092,205 times
Recent estimates of Washingtons population for 2006 were around 6.3 million. I would say close to 5 million live in Western Washington. The other million or so are scattered in small cities like Yakima, the Tri-cities, Spokane, and Walla Walla so yeah Washington State outside of the I-5 corridor is rural.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:55 AM

103 posts, read 455,527 times
most anything along I-5 is not rural.

if you want rural, you might want to consider morton or randle.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:12 AM

270 posts, read 1,125,019 times
East of the Cascades, Spokane is an urban center. Ellensburg and Yakima are modest cities. (I think the Tri-Cities, Richland, Pasco, & Kennewick, are in the same category, but I haven't been there in so long I hesitate to say anything about them.) West of Spokane is Fairchild AFB, which is military. The rest is towns and rural.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 AM

643 posts, read 2,162,217 times
In south washington I know of many little rural towns along I5 BUT the I% corridor is rain rain rain. Especially after coming south over the mountians.
Portland and just north has a serious problem with meth of course but out of portland you can find very safe areas that are so beautiful. Also they are a easy drive to PDX.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:26 AM

6 posts, read 26,294 times
Anything North of Spokane Washington, is all rural. The largest town between Spokand and the Canadian Border, on SR 395, is the town of Colville, with a population at 5,000. Most of the towns between Spokane and around Colville, are small little towns. It is agreat area to live in.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 PM

10 posts, read 43,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compltlyme View Post
...I am on the Eastside and it isn't rural. Lots of trees and that out of the way woodsy feel but not even close to rural. There is Yakima isn't rural, The Tri-city area isn't rural...My point is there are cities and what you have in between is rural but not the entire rest of the state.
I second that. I am from the Tri Cities and we are growing in leaps and bounds. Definitely not rural. Just moved here from SoCal and the three cities here are like three cities down there, but the good news, it ends!

Old 02-09-2007, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 11,958 times
Bellingham is it! Been here for 52 years. 12 miles to the Canadian border, with outlaying shopping and hamlets. Bellingham proper is a quaint city (not town) that has one of the best colleges. I live in the rural area and it only takes me 15 min. to get any where. Seattle is just 1 1/2 hrs away. All along I5 south there are small towns as well as Everett which is about like here. It can be expensive here but it is so worth it for the peace you feel.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:16 PM

118 posts, read 378,028 times
Anything near an Interstate freeway is usually more urban, minus parts of Eastern Washington and everything between Olympia and Vancouver. Towns away from the interstate, like Wenatchee, Aberdeen, Walla Walla are larger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or